• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RdrCEF.exe Application error when opening Reader

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was getting the error message anytime I opened a file. Then when it was time to save, I got the message again and it would not allow me to save. AcroCEF.exe Application Error. The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application.

I was originally having this problem with Acrobat so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Still trouble. I then uninstalled and deleted every darn thing that had anything to do with Acrobat, restarted, and reinstalled. Then I uninstalled with Microsoft Fix-it which I found that someone suggested because sometimes some files get left behind. Same problem.

So then I thought maybe I should try with regular reader. I installed Reader DC and am getting the same error only of the Rdr verision.

Can anyone help me out here?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Hi corissao,

We are sorry to hear that you are facing this issue. Is this crash still happening for you? If yes, we would like to have some information from you to investigate it further -

(a) What is your system configuration (Window or Mac, its version)?

(b) We would like to have a log file from your system. Could you please share the file "AdobeARM.log" from your user temp folder? To navigate to this folder, go to Start->Run, type %temp% and press ENTER. Look for the file and send it to us (emai

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi! corissao i have the same problem. were you able to solve yours?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I am now able to save and print, but I still get the error messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2015 Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please go to the Edit menu, Preferences, select the General category on the left, and uncheck "Show online storage when opening files" and "Show online storage when saving files". Press OK, and relaunch Reader.

Are you able to Save now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2015 Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The boxes were already unchecked. I unchecked them when the problems started.

I am able to save, but I still get the error message upon opening a document.

Corissa Oyler

Accounting Manager

First National Bank Northwest Florida

850-769-3207

850-785-7096 - Fax

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi corissao,

We are sorry to hear that you are facing this issue. Is this crash still happening for you? If yes, we would like to have some information from you to investigate it further -

(a) What is your system configuration (Window or Mac, its version)?

(b) We would like to have a log file from your system. Could you please share the file "AdobeARM.log" from your user temp folder? To navigate to this folder, go to Start->Run, type %temp% and press ENTER. Look for the file and send it to us (email me at ambooATadobeDOTcom)

(c) We would also like to have a screenshot of task manager to see all running processes (particularly AcroRd32.exe and RdrCEF.exe processes) when you encounter the issue

(d) Can you also share the crash dump to analyze it? You need to enable WER so that we can have the dump saved when you see the crash. For this you need to create 2 reg keys for specifying DumpFolder and DumpType (details at https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/desktop/bb787181). For the "DumpFolder", you can create a folder, say c:\dumps and specify this path in regkey. For "DumpType", specify the value 2. Now when you observe the crash, a dump file will be created at c:\dumps folder. Please share this dump with us to analyze the reason for crash.

Thank you for your patience.

-Amboo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! for me anyway thank you ashutoshmehra ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just delete the file acrocef.exe and rdrservicesupdater.exe from the folder C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroCEF

and you got rid of this annoying message like me.

close all adobe processes from task manager and after that delete it.

I used cmd.exe for it.rdr.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used this method and it seems to be working for me.  Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which tip worked for you, the Ranger3b one where the app is run as an administrator (and hopefully we don't fully or properly unleash malware on our network) or the one where you rename the files in question and this then prevents you from ever using the sign and forward features?

I am only aware that this is an issue because we have Palo Alto firewalls here and we also use Palo Alto Traps.  Every day this one user lights up my malware displays on the firewall and Traps launches whenever he tries to use Adobe reader.  McAfee does not catch any malware either when it's running live or it's got a full scan.  Spy Bot also doesn't catch it so I'm left wondering if this is a false positive and if it is, do I just live with it as more and more users exhibit the same behavior. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed this instruction:

“just delete the file acrocef.exe and rdrservicesupdater.exe from the folder C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroCEF”

The “acrocef” file was not in the folder, but I did delete the “rdrservicesupdater” file. Oddly enough, I was able to use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC after deleting the file, un-installing and re-installing Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, and rebooting the computer. But today I tried to open a PDF file and got the same error again (see below):

Don’t know what to do now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S.: If I click to close the error dialog box numerous times, usually it will go away and I will be able to use the file I opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  ON all Acrobat dc programs, I get the windows error message 0xc00000@5.  I have been on chat with Adobe 2 times and no success.  I have done a clean uninstall then reinstall,  done all the resets recommended during the chats and just tried the Shag9948 suggestions with no success.  I really want this program to work since it is better for my needs than all the others I have tried but will soon cancel my subscription if no resolution.  Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone got a resolution for this? I have come across this same issue and I am completely stuck. I have tried suggestions from other threads. I get the error anytime I open a PDF and doing a save as. I have tried to remove the "Check Cloud Storage" settings from Acrobat but it had no affect. I could really use some help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden the problem disappeared when I had done nothing.  I'm sure Adobe caused that to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got me excited. I ran updates with windows and Acrobat but still the issue remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting this on one PC in our company. Also looking for a cure.

EDIT: PC is Win7 x86. Version of Reader is DC 15.007.20033.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2016 Jan 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with a PC in our company. The PC is Windows 7 Pro x64 joined to a Windows Server 2012 domain. Version of Adobe Reader DC is 2015.009.20079.  Is there any fix from Adobe yet?

FullSizeRender.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi West,

1) From exception code, it appears that installation was unsuccessful and possibly corrupted some files. Can you confirm if the following files are present in your installation directory/Reader/AcroCEF. A scrrenshot like one below will be much appreciated.

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 10.40.14 AM.png

2) If possible, can you share a crash dump? You can use the following steps -

Enable saving user mode memory dumps locally using Windows Error Reporting, create the following Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps

Value Name = DumpType

Data type: REG_DWORD

Value Data = 1

Dump files are stored in the default location %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps

More details are present here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/931673

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Solved]

Just rename these two files.

RdrCEF error fix.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all -

With our latest release on 12th July 2016, the issue reported has been addressed.

To get the latest product update, within the product, click on the menu Help --> Check for updates.

For more information about the release, please refer to the Release Notes and the New Feature Summary web links.

Hope this helps in addressing the reported issue. We look forward to the continued feedback.

Regards,

Reetika Ghai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2016 Aug 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope...I started paying for the service, getting this code and none of these are helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  Renaming the files did it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Please update application via Help->Check for updates to be on latest and safest version of Acrobat Reader.

AcroCEF.exe or RdrCEF.exe is a detachable process of Acrobat or Reader. It takes care of multiple reader services(like Fill and Sign, Document Cloud, Send For Signature, Send and Track, Create PDF, Export PDF, etc.) of the product. If you disable it by renaming/deleting RdrCEF.exe(which is highly not recommended), it would lead you to lack of functionalities.

Please describe us more about the issue.

-Thanks

Sunil Soni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well ok then I need a solution. This has just started on my PC and I am not savvy to go changing names and I have gone through the updates. If it has just started on my computer it is safe to say a reinstall would not help. Soo....Recommendations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines