Reader DC crashes. File appears to no longer exist.

New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I’ve just had a Reader DC crash.

I had two instances open.

In one I was annotating a pdf with comments.

Both instances crashed.

The file I was annotating now appears to no longer exist.

I had been saving the file manually since Friday last. But basically, it’s no longer in the location I saved it to.

When I restarted Reader DC, it only gave me the option of restoring pdfs in the *second* of the two instances (so, not in the instance I was annotating in).

Anyone out that who can help me save the over seven hours of work I’d already done on that pdf?

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strike that. Found it in a temp directory in my data partition.

Strange (for me) that Reader DC actually deletes the file from the location I've been saving it to for six days.

The two double scotches I drank to calm my nerves, can I bill them to Adobe?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a backup? I take them every night so I could always go back to the day before.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not so regular Test Screen Name (yes, I know).

I'm actually currently moving from one backup solution to another; so my backups are little flakey.

Glad I found a version. But have had two further crashes since.

Something with the pdf perhaps...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suggestion if you are stuck with this (perhaps) flaky file is to save each time to a brand new name. You can then go back at your leisure to whichever one works. (If multiple files should disappear you will know there is actually a problem with the system or the disk).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good tip, thank you.

I'm renaming per crash. So I'm now on v2d (four crashes in).

Currently I can see them all.

So I can take it easy with the scotch.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've also moved to having only one instance open, which means I can ask Reader to restore the previous session...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines