• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader DC runs as a Background process

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I double-click a PDF file, Reader DC does not appear to start. Task Manager does not show it in the "Apps" list, but instead shows it twice in the Background processes list. It shows as "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (32)".  If I click "End task" on either process, both stop.

If I manually start Reader, then Task Manager shows it in the "Apps" list, and when I double-click a PDF file, it opens and displays the document normally.  But if I close Reader, then when I double-click a PDF file, Reader does exactly as first described above.  If I continue to double-click PDF files, 2 processes of Reader start for each file clicked and the processes appear in the "Background processes" list, but Reader doesn't open or display any documents.

I am running Adobe Acrobat Reader DC version 2018.011.20035 on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.

I found another Question on the Forum related to this called "DC Reader only run as a background process", but it is only "Assumed Answered".  I ran all the steps in the assumed answer.  I ran the Adobe Cleaner Tool, restarted the PC, then downloaded and installed the Reader version given above.  The problem still occurs.  I see 1,162 people have viewed that "Assumed Answered" question - has anyone found a solution that works please?

Best regards,

Peter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Could you please try once to create a new user account on your machine.

Then try to install the application from here Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution under that new user account.

Check if the application works fine or not.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

As the application not working properly, try to update the application to the latest patch available.

Refer this link Release Notes | Adobe Acrobat, Reader for more information on updates.

Try once repairing the installation.

Launch the Reader DC and go to Help > Repair Installation.

If the above does not help, try resetting the preferences.

Take help of the steps mentioned here How to reset Acrobat Preference settings to default.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi,

This problem has been present for about six months on my PC. No new patches or versions fix it. The latest patch available is version 2018.011.20035.  That does not fix it.

Repairing the installation does not fix it. Completely uninstalling, then restarting the PC, then fresh installing does not fix it.

Resetting the preferences does not fix it. As I said in my original post, I used Adobe Cleaner Tool, which is better than resetting preferences because it completely deletes all old preferences, does not fix the problem.

Sadly none of your suggestions gave any new information or methods to fix the problem.  Can you please escalate this to the highest level.

Best regards,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Could you please try once to create a new user account on your machine.

Then try to install the application from here Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution under that new user account.

Check if the application works fine or not.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your reply Meenakshi.

OK, first I uninstalled Reader from my current account.  Then I went to the link you supplied and downloaded "AcroRdrDC1801120035_en_US.exe", which proved to be an exact binary match to the download I had installed and mentioned in my original post, which was also the version I had just uninstalled.

Then I created a new account, called "Testing", and then installed the above downloaded application.  It worked perfectly normally in every respect - and it saves user preferences, something that stopped working when I installed this version of reader under my original account.

When I log back into my original account, Reader exhibits the same problems as before.  As soon as I switch back to the Testing account, it works properly.

So there must be something wrong with my original account.  I guess this is now out of your scope, but how can I fix my account?  It has taken 5 years to get where it is - including thousands of user settings for numerous programs.

Best regards,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Hoping that you have managed to fix the system's user account issue.

When I log back into my original account, Reader exhibits the same problems as before.  As soon as I switch back to the Testing account, it works properly.

When application runs fine in test account, there its clear the problem is with your existing user account. The purpose of creating test account is same, it helps identifying whether application is causing trouble or system itself.

So there must be something wrong with my original account.  I guess this is now out of your scope, but how can I fix my account? 

What best we can suggest is to get in touch with with computer vendor. Because this is something that would be taken care by either Microsoft or local IT technician. You might have made some changes or add-on to your user account, which has started casing trouble,

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not a mysterious user profile error. Acrobat Reader is faulty by not being able to run in administrative mode.

This error comes up if you're logged in with a user having administrative rights and then try to open a pdf file from an elevated application because it will force Acrobat to run in admin mode as well.

You can reproduce it any time by the following ways:

- open an application e.g. Total commander (shareware is available) in elevated mode (run as administrator), navigate to a pdf file and try to open it by pressing Enter

- Just to double check, simply create/modify a shortcut to Acrobat Reader to run in elevated mode (Shortcut > Advanced mode > Run as administrator) and then start it.

Both ways you'll end up with two AcroRd32.exe processes in the background just as the OP described.

Please fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a new user and having the same difficulty in 2023!  I have to open task manager and force all adobe background processes to close before I can open a file.  I also have to frequently close QuickBooks in order to open a pdf!  Any new suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here double click from normal explorer opens it right away, but from any elevated app it opens 2 background processes. So adobe get your stuff together.
When I first start reader I can can open any pdf from whatever privillage.
Also running reader as admin doesn't open it either, but creates 2 background processes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the same issue. It is occurring on all 3 pc's. Some worse then others. 

I use File Explorer all day throughout my business to preview the PDF docs on one screen witout having to open them in Adobe and then enter the data into the accounting software on the other screen. As you can image I open multiple File Explorer windows at a time and in a day. 

When I first open a File Explorer folder the preview screen in blank, completely white blank. I then have to go to Task Manager and wait for 2 adobe background processes to appear. I then end task on either one and can preview my files again. 

there is no rythem or reason to this problem. There can be days where the previewing works perfectly, days where task manager is only used a couple of times and then day where you have to use task manager for every folder and even sometimes between working on the same folder. Task Manager is now a Taskbar short cut. 

This problem is SO Frustrating and time consuming. I have been searching for a solution to no avail. Any input would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was honestly pumped when I was able to use the Student version of Adobe's products. I got every app in the suite for 20 bucks a month. I started installing them and was so happy and excited to use them....uninstalling everything right now. I can't handle the background processes. My 9700k oc'd to 5.1ghz on all cores runs sooo smooth and responsive...until I installed creative cloud and the apps...now my machine feels like a 10 year old dual core with a virus. Adobe's software runs identically to how malware runs on a computer. It takes up soooo many resources and uses up so much RAM. I'm sorry but the only person that can tell my PC what to do is ME, NOT ADOBE! And 20 bucks a month for adobe's software IS NOT worth a slow laggy PC despite how good any software is. Thank God that there is a lot of competition out there in the video editing arena. Yeah, Adobe is nice cause they sync all their apps together so you can just swap projects from one app to the other but dang...I don't mind the extra steps in other software if I don't have to deal with almost 65% CPU utilization from literally 49 background process at startup...that are all from some form of creative cloud or adobe. ADOBE IS BASICALLY MALWARE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a problem of Adobe Reader protected mode.

Go to Edit - Preferences - Security (Enhanced) and turn off "Enable Protected Mode at startup"

Problem solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update. Protected mode should be disabled under Administrator account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU!  This solved my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines