• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader plugin for Chrome versions 42+ no longer work

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of 04/15/2015, Google has deprecated the NPAPI which the Adobe Reader plugin apparently uses (see NPAPI deprecation: developer guide - The Chromium Projects)   This means the Adobe Reader plugin for Chrome no longer works.

Does Adobe have any plans to provide a new plugin or extension for Chrome?

If not, what is an alternative that can handle .xdp forms?  I've tried PDF Viewer (PDF.js), Notable PDF, and Xodo but none of them handle .xdp files.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

All:  I use the Adobe Reader plugin a lot for work. I have found a workaround to the new Chrome version 42 update that has removed the NPAPI plugins, including Adobe Reader.

In the Chrome browser URL, type "chrome://flags". Find the flag called "Enable NPAPI Mac, Windows" and click "Enable".Enalbe_NPAPI.png

Then, go back to your plugins in Chrome, "chrome://plugins". Make sure the Adobe Reader plugin is Enabled and the Chrome PDF Viewer is disabled. Everything should work as it did before.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - I updated Acrobat Reader and Regular Acrobat, and now the plugin now longer appears.  I need this in order to use QuickBooks online software to adjust printing - and this can only be done using the Acrobat plugin not the Chrome plugin.

Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Chrome does/will no longer support NPAPI plugins, there is only one way: use a different browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please refer Help! Reader DC not working in Chrome,.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All:  I use the Adobe Reader plugin a lot for work. I have found a workaround to the new Chrome version 42 update that has removed the NPAPI plugins, including Adobe Reader.

In the Chrome browser URL, type "chrome://flags". Find the flag called "Enable NPAPI Mac, Windows" and click "Enable".Enalbe_NPAPI.png

Then, go back to your plugins in Chrome, "chrome://plugins". Make sure the Adobe Reader plugin is Enabled and the Chrome PDF Viewer is disabled. Everything should work as it did before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Tripster23!  I just tried this and it works.  I use QuickBooks Online and the program works best in Chrome.  Thank you so much for sharing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind that's a temporary fix.  According to Google's deprecation schedule (NPAPI deprecation: developer guide - The Chromium Projects) the NPAPI interface will be completely removed by September 2015.  After that, there won't be any enable flag.  Start looking for alternatives now.

I would prefer it if Adobe came up with a non-NPAPI alternative plugin -- I think Google is pushing for their PPAPI interface. Meanwhile, much as I dislike it, Internet Explorer still works with Adobe's plugin.  And I think Opera does too, but I don't want to have to tell my users to install Opera and learn one more browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks P.Dow.  I'm not fond of IE either, but no way will I install a third browser. Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same message re the Adobe plug-in's support ending on opera as of today. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to update (in case anyone stumbles upon this thread)...Chrome no longer supports NPAPI plugins so viewing PDFs/PDF Forms within the Chrome browser (using the Adobe Reader plug-in) is no longer possible. It will default to Google native plug-in/pdf viewer.

More info on this topic can be viewed here:

Configure browser to use the Adobe PDF plug-in to open online PDF files

Change in support for Acrobat and Reader plug-ins in modern web browsers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might have been answered elsewhere however I can't find it.

So it's 2022 and the NPAPI has been depricated, IE11 is dead (or in some final stages of).

The pdf plugin seems to be just well a 'skin' or 'link' to open the pdf in the standard application.

Is there any development in the plugin to move away from NPAPI and so that's its more than just a skin/link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For many years Chrome has had a built in PDF viewer, made by Google. That's not going to change. Google specifically blocked Adobe from making a replacement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, well the replacement whilst good doesn't support XFA forms. So it feels like well adobe have just well said google chrome and edge have there own pdf viewer we just aren't going to develop anything. Adobe's plugin is basically a 'skin' / 'link' to have some buttons that look like their reader but require it to do a pdf that has other features that only the desktop program has and it's a no.

For many years Chrome has had a built in PDF viewer, made by Google. That's not going to change. Google specifically blocked Adobe from making a replacement.

By @Test Screen Name

I don't think that's true. Yes they stopped the NPAPI plugins but that was a security thing. 

There are still a few pdf readers around in the add on store. here is one.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pdf-reader/ieepebpjnkhaiioojkepfniodjmjjihl

That has at least attempted the xfa problem with some success (ok it's based on pdf.js - but still)

and that's one person doing it in his free time.

https://github.com/Emano-Waldeck/pdf-reader/commits/master

So I presume that adobe could sit down and basically re-do their plugin - or perhaps contribute to the Chrome/Edge systems.

Meanwhile Chrome and Edge seem to be developing xfa abilities in their own way (with some success) - so it feels like whilst the rest of the world is activily trying to support a feature in Adobe PDFs, adobe are well stagnant in the pdf/browser/development.

Maybe I'm off the mark here but I'm just trying to tell you what I'm seeing and I can't see anything coming from Adobe in this field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think it's clear that end-user display of XFAs in a client isn't the least bit important to Adobe. If it was, they would have added XFA support to their mobile version. Adobe's strategy, such as it is, is components of AEM, which do live translation of XFA forms to dynamic HTML forms. Definitely more profit in this, for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines