• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader shifting characters when printing

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have dealt with this problem several years back but cannot find my notes anywhere. And the prior iteration was surely with some much earlier version of the Reader.

When printing some documents that contain text, the characters in the text are shifted: A becomes B, B becomes C, C becomes D, etc. For example, "pdf" would become "qeg". I see posts online regarding this problem when printing TO .pdf using Adobe print engines such as within Adobe, something about using system fonts, not document fonts; however, my problem is not with creating .pdf files using an Adobe product, but rather with printing them from the Reader. Here are a few facts.

• The .pdf file appears correctly on-screen. Only in the print process are the characters shifted.
  • It occurs only with .pdf files, not other documents; I can print the body of an e-mail without any such character-shifting, but when I attempt to print the .pdf attachment to that same e-mail, characters are shifted.
  • I already know about the "fix" by clicking Advanced → Print As Image, but one of the key printers in use is a TIFF converter that creates a TIFF image (for storage in an image retrieval system) instead of physical copy, and the Print As Image option creates a somewhat larger TIFF.
  • I had been using a version 2015.something.something, and I could not duplicate the problem. Now that I have upgraded my own station to the same version as the user, 2017.012.20093, I have the same problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Brian.hart,

Sorry for the delay in response to your query and apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Please try to print other PDFs once and check.

Also navigate to print Properties i..e Print>Choose Adobe PDF in Printer>Then choose Properties>Select ADobe PDF settings.

Check/Uncheck the option of "Rely on System Fonts only; Do not use Documents fonts" and check it this makes any difference.

Hope this helps, and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your information all relates to printing to .pdf documents using the full version of Adobe, but my question is about printing to a physical printer from Adobe Reader . Please note what I said in my post (the first part regarding other posts relates to the same post in your response):

"I see posts online regarding this problem when printing TO .pdf using Adobe print engines such as within Adobe, something about using system fonts, not document fonts; however, my problem is not with creating .pdf files using an Adobe product, but rather with printing them from the Reader"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Brian.hart,

Sorry for the delay in response to your query and apologize for the inconvenience caused.

In order to reproduce the issue at our end, and find the solution, please share the document with us if possible in which you are facing the issue. I have sent a private message with more details to share the document, please check your email inbox.

Also, share the make and model of the printer you are using. Share the dot version of Acrobat/Reader currently, you have, check from Help>About Adobe Acrobat/Reader.

Share the details of Operating system and version.

If possible, please scan and highlight the document in which character is shifted and share it with us.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind that  I am reporting only what I have specifically encountered when requested by a client to diagnose and resolve the problem. I did sufficient testing only to show that this was not computer-specific, operating system-specific, nor printer driver-specific. My testing has not been, nor will it be, exhaustive. I do know this much:

1. The dot version was in my original post: 2017.012.20093.
2. This is not limited to a single computer or operating system. It occurs on both Windows server 2012 R2 and Windows 7 64-bit.
3. This is not limited to a single printer/driver. The issue occurred when printing to a Ricoh printer using Ricoh's PCL6 Driver for Universal Print. It also occurs when printing using the Black Ice Tiff Driver, which converts any document into a .tif image.
4. It does not occur with all .pdf documents, so I can only presume that it is somewhat related to which version of Adobe was used to create the original document.
5. It did not occur with my 2015.something version, but it began occurring immediately upon upgrade to the 2017 version noted above.
6. The problem does not occur if, after clicking Print, I click Advanced, then select Print As Image. This is our current workaround.

Because I work remotely and do not have access to the physical printer output at my client's office, I have used that Tiff converter to create the samples I am sending by e-mail. But again, please keep in mind that the same thing occurs when printing to physical printers onsite. I just do not have physical access to those at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi brian.hart,

Did you ever conclude this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Brian,

Sorry for the delay in response to your query and apologize for the inconvenience caused. I have sent you a private message, please check your email inbox.

Regards,

Anand Sri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines