Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restrict layers from being merged

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I created an interactive form with layers and a dropdown menu. I had made the dropdown run a custom validation script everytime a item from the dropdown was selected. The script will make a layer visible when an item was selected from the dropdown. 

There are about 10 main layers with each having about 4 sub layers in it. The issue I have is that when I try to search a specific term in the document, Adobe intially searches in the layer that is visible which is where it should end. There is then a dialog box that says the result occured on a layer that is not currently visible, and asks if we would like to make that layer visible now. Giving yes messes up the entire document making all other layers visible. This document will be sent to our client and I wouldnt want them to handle this issue. Each layer is specific for each client and they should at no point be accidently merged. Any idea how to lock this feature or prevent users from searching beyond one layer?

Any support or advise can help a great deal.

Thank You 

Naveen

TOPICS
How to , PDF forms , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove the layers you don't want the client to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should use (hidden) Page Templates instead of layers.

You should not share personal or business data from one customer to another, anyone using Acrobat Pro can access it in both cases (Layers or Templates).

Also note that Apple Preview (default MacOS PDF reader), some web browsers and most low-end PDF reader software that does not recognize layers display them all merged, and therefore visible to anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply. The documents I am working are not confidential and are only reference documents. I am sorry I was not specific on what type of documents these were. These are terms and conditions of university programs for different user groups and so doesnt matter if the other group sees terms and conditions for another program. The layer feature was just perfect until I hit a roadblock when searching on the layers, the layers get merged with texts getting jumbled up. I am not sure how to use page templates on adobe acrobat DC and I an unable to find that option, can you send me any links or tutorials to accomplish this. I would need users to get their specific terms and conditions based on the program they select on the dropdown. I really wish I get some direction in this.

Thank You

Naveen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines