• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search not highlighting results consistently

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2011 Jun 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed the last couple of times I have used the search function that, although the word I am searching for is being found, it is not necessarily being highlighted, so that I can see where it is on the page.  Sometimes I get a vertical line (like this | ) next to the word, as if the cursor is there, but that is really hard to see on a page full of text.  Once today I got one out of three occurrences of the same word on a page highlighted in blue (great!) but the other two were not highlighted at all when searching forward.  Having got the third one highlighted, I then used search backwards and one of the other two (but not both) got highlighted in blue.

Surely this has something to do with Adobe Reader, rather than my laptop settings.  I did install the latest update this morning (I think there was also one either yesterday or the day before) and am now on version 9.4.5

MClareS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 117 Replies 117
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2011 Aug 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting spam from you everyday! Quit it or you will be deleted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who is "you" supposed to be?

This is a forum. If you're getting spam, you have some settings issues. People are responding to the forum. If you don't want new posts, change your settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're getting messages from me?

Bryan Capps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2011 Jul 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread, and this bug, have now been running 37 days - when is Adobe going to fix such a manifestly obvious error in a function that almost everyone uses? It is not "possibly answered" as indicated. How can we remove that status and get Adobe to pay attention?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dmwhk wrote:

This thread, and this bug, have now been running 37 days - when is Adobe going to fix such a manifestly obvious error in a function that almost everyone uses?

Hard to say. 37 days isn't long in the development world. Maybe the next release. Maybe the one after that...

dmwhk wrote:

It is not "possibly answered" as indicated

That is an automatic function of the forum software. As soon as someone replies, it's "possibly answered". Then again, possibly not.

dmwhk wrote:

How can we remove that status and get Adobe to pay attention?

Again you can't remove it butyou can always file a bug report although by now, I'm sure they are aware of it. This is a user to user forum and not a route to Adobe support so don't expect to see anything in here (although they've responded in these forums before).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

dmwhk wrote:

This thread, and this bug, have now been running 37 days - when is Adobe going to fix such a manifestly obvious error in a function that almost everyone uses?

Hard to say. 37 days isn't long in the development world. Maybe the next release. Maybe the one after that...

Not that long if you were developing some new features or something.

We are talking about Millions of users who are wasting tens of thousands of hours crossing their eyes looking for words like "electromagnetic".

It's unacceptable that Adobe's updater nags you daily and what you end up with is a headache for a month and a half.

As far as I'm concerned this is priority #1.

Sincerely,

Still Pissed (Brett W.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, happened after I uninstalled Reader X, installed 9.4, then updated to 9.45.

Very annoying, but not as bad as X's tiny search buttons and the blocking part of the page with the search drop-down, which is why I moved back to 9.x

If they let me move search back to the toolbar, with larger buttons, then I'll go back to 10.x  (Make it the same as Firefox's search controls)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently waiting to get my new avatar approved... feel free to use it!

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7889/adobefixthesearch.png

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7889/adobefixthesearch.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 02, 2011 Aug 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe now says September 13.

Here's the follow-up article I wrote. http://bit.ly/pXB0q5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good article.

There is another bug that Adobe won't even recognize because they can't duplicate it, but it only happens in 9.4.5 Acrobat Pro, & despite their nay-saying, it's a very REAL problem that THEY created with this disastrous update.

It's hard to explain, & most people in this thread are Reader users.

In short, while editing, the last edit made often pops up in a new edit, making it IMPOSSIBLE to continue with the current edit until going back (sometimes many pages) find the last edit that is skewing things. It's infuriating & adds so much time to the process of editing for clients that I'm ready to abandong Adobe completely.

This means I'll not use any Adobe products. If they can't make it function smoothly & do so in a timely manner, I have NO respect for this company.

Adobe STINKS right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader Fix:  Go here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/  Select 9.40, install it, and tell it not to update, or you'll end up at 9.45 again.

(looking for a way to update to 9.4.4, then stop.)

I'll consider Reader X if they make the search dropdown NOT block page content, and make the buttons larger (Copy Firefox's search controls.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2011 Aug 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download each update separately.  It takes a little time but I am at 9.4.4 and have turned off auto updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2011 Aug 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In our tests today (08/03/11) with Acrobat Pro 9.4.5, the problem occurs on our Windows 7 computers but not our Vista computers.

Also, the "Find" feature is sort of working in that it does take the user to the page with the first matching text (but it fails to highlight the matching text) - clicking the "Next Find" button cause Acrobat to highlight the next (and subsequent) matching text ON THE SAME PAGE.  If the next matching text is instead on another page, Acrobat again fails to hightlight only the first matching text on that page...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2011 Aug 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my suggested/potential fix at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/868243.  Let me know if it works for you.

Bryan Capps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2011 Aug 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reading these posts I no longer feel crazy. As suggested I called Adobe to find out if the fix would really launch on Sept 13 as stated in the article referenced here and opted to have them call me back rather then wait on the phone. They did return my call, but because I am only a single user in a large medical center and did not have the serial number to my Adobe Acrobat Pro (IS installed), they said they could not help me. Unless you have your serial number you cannot access technical support?? Really?? Why if I did not have the product would I call for help? And I didn't think you could do multiple downloads of programs anymore, so what's the difference?  As a backup I also emailed the preson at Adobe w the same question. Will be curious to see if they answer or ask for my serial number. I am still amazed how a major software company could have such a glaring glitch and not find and put out

a solution sooner? This would never happen in our industry. If anything the whole team would work extended hours for resolution so that we could get it out to and keep our customers happy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2011 Aug 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a solution!  I read this article and I was not having the issue.  However I noticed the issue on my wifes computer,  The only difference is that I run abobe in "Reading Mode" and my wife does not.  She uses the search window at the top right.  When I ran a search on her computer there was no highlight.  In the "Reading Mode" like I use,  I use the floating seach option that accessing shft+ctrl+F.  Every word is hightlighted for me and if one misses,  I just click the word in the floating search window and it highlights all the occuences of the searched word on the the page.

I hope this helps lessening the burden as we wait for Adobe to hear us.  Good luck!

Wuzisname!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2011 Aug 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wuzisname,

This was mentioned before... but it's not a fix, just a temporary band-aid.  I don't like using that separate window, it just seems to get in my way and requires you to click on found search hits.  Furthermore, Adobe doesn't need any more time than they've already had.  What are they doing??...holding out until version 11 to give us basic search functionality (back)??? There is only one Apple Inc. in this world, knock it off Adobe.

See my previous post about Foxit Reader.  One nice feature it has is tabs for all of your open PDFs.  So far I love it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2011 Aug 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since I got disgusted with Adobe, who obviously couldn't give a darn about users who have been using their buggy Adobe Reader, I've been using the FREE Foxit Reader!

Adobe has ignored me and I don't have to take it. Neither do you!

Download it HERE:

[malware link removed]

Foxit Reader

The Best PDF Reader – Over 100 Million Users

Whether you're a consumer, business,  government agency, or educational organization, you need to read and  annotate PDF documents and fill out PDF forms.  You need your PDF Reader  to be:

• Fast - so you're not waiting forever to read files.
  • Lightweight - so it's easily deployable and doesn't exhaust system resources.
  • Secure - so you don't get infected with viruses and can keep sensitive information safe.
  • A Platform - so you can extend the Reader by creating your own value added capabilities for internal use or for resale.

The Foxit Reader is a small, fast, and  feature rich PDF viewer which allows you to open, view, and print any  PDF file. Unlike other free PDF readers, Foxit Reader also includes easy  to use collaboration features like the ability to add annotations, fill  out forms, and add text to PDF documents.   Foxit Reader has a small  footprint that starts up instantly, renders PDF files quickly and uses  very little memory, which is especially important with today's handheld  devices.  The Foxit Reader is packed full of convenient and easy to use  viewing, editing and printing features that make document collaboration  simple.  Foxit Reader's secure platform insures worry free operation  against malicious virus and provides a secure and reliable digital  signature verification platform for exchanging electronics documents  without putting the user at risk from falsified documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2011 Aug 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link.  I too am tired of waiting for a fix.  I often need to search through large on-line manuals for specific information and don't have the time to read the entire page to find my search word (since it is no longer highlighted in Adobe Reader).  The Foxit Reader was a very quick download and is working great.  Hope Adobe gets the hint!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. This is really bad.Can't believe this option is still busted. I remember when Adobe used to fix problems a lot faster when they first came out. I guess that's what happens when you get too big to worry about little things like this. On to Fox-It!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After  a couple months of not having Find capability I decided to lookup this  error and I found this thread. Indeed, it's been a couple of months and  Adobe has let this issue flounder with no updates to v9.x.  Checking  Updates from the product returns no updates.

However, I manually downloaded and installed Adobe Reader X v10.1.0 and it seems the problem has been fixed.

On install of version 10, it uninstalls v9 and then requests a reboot to finish the install.

I'll say two things about this which seem conflicting:

1) For those of us using Reader, it's free software, we get the support we pay for.

2) For anyone actually paying for support, this situation has been absurd.

I  was literally one click away from loading the Foxit Reader.  What  stopped me seems to be a DNS issue preventing me from visiting some of  their pages. That's very weird but I'll address that another time.  Now  that I have Reader X, I shouldn't need to install Foxit. While at some  point I know I'll try Foxit, I will comment that like the FireFox vs  Internet Explorer wars, when people jump over to something else in mass  protest, they aren't always pleased.  FireFox has a load of problems.   Foxit might have too.  You just need to decide which problems you'll  endure, and you might just need to keep the latest version of both  products installed just to get the features you want.  That's the way  this tech world is right now.  I've been pretty happy with the Adobe  Acrobat PDF Reader since around 1994.  With a few exeptions like this  one, Adobe has served all of us well.  If I do jump away, it won't be an easy decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will comment that like the FireFox vs  Internet Explorer wars, when people jump over to something else in mass  protest, they aren't always pleased.  FireFox has a load of problems.

Uhg... let's stay on topic please.  FWIW: Internet Explorer is a big turd, and anything else is better.

Foxit is awexome, AND I can search my documents again, everything else works the same as Adobe (with some improvements) and the program takes up less memory and doesn't nag me every day for updates.  Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2011 Sep 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad September 13 is only 6 days away.  I'm hoping that date was correct and they really fix this bug in 9.4.5 on or before that date.  This has been a real problem for me for a long time, though I can't pinpoint exactly when it started.  For a long time, I thought it was an issue with my system.  I'm glad to see that others have been reporting and tracking this problem before me and have characterized it down so specifically.  I share the disappointment that it has taken Adobe this long to make what should be a simple fix.  Search really is the most important feature other than viewing and printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 07, 2011 Sep 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll write another story (previous one was here) if they do not release the update as they promised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2011 Sep 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of us have reported that the issue was fixed in Adobe Reader X,  essentially a simple upgrade from v9 to v10.  Is that not an acceptable  solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines