• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use of extended features is no longer available on the document

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2016 May 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 2015.016.20039 on my system. I have filled up a form using Foxit Reader. When I tried to open the form with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC I got error "The document enabled extended features in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. The document has been changed since it was created and use of extended features is no longer available. Please contact the author for the original version of this document".

I tried some other PDF programs, no issue when opening this form.

Ashampoo_Snap_2016.05.17_02h01m01s_002_.png

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , May 17, 2016 May 17, 2016

The "Reader-enabling" feature comes from the original form, and it is essentially a digital signature. It is specific for the free PDF viewer product by Adobe (aka Adobe (Acrobat) Reader).

The problem is that only Adobe products are able to (re)save such documents without breaking the seal of the digital signature.

So, what happened in your case is that the Foxit viewer broke the seal when saving back, and that's it. Using Acrobat, you could save a copy of the form, and then continue filling it ou

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi S-Malik ,

Please refer and follow the steps mentioned in  this article : Acrobat Pro 8 and Reader X - Enable Extended Features for Form .

You can refer this article also :  : Getting error messages when trying to reader enable documents. (Acrobat Reader PDF Forms)

Let us know if this helps.

Regards
Sarojini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the link for Getting error messages when trying to reader enable documents. (Acrobat Reader PDF Forms) is selected, the following is returned:

csk0926_0-1647911720897.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Reader-enabling" feature comes from the original form, and it is essentially a digital signature. It is specific for the free PDF viewer product by Adobe (aka Adobe (Acrobat) Reader).

The problem is that only Adobe products are able to (re)save such documents without breaking the seal of the digital signature.

So, what happened in your case is that the Foxit viewer broke the seal when saving back, and that's it. Using Acrobat, you could save a copy of the form, and then continue filling it out. Otherwise, you will be better off to start again, but stay with Adobe PDF viewers all the time working with the form, or with another viewer, again all the time you are working with the form.

BTW, Reader XI and newer no longer need the Extended Rights for most featured blocked by earlier Reader versions. This does not help in this case; it would only be helpful for the issuer of the form.

Update (after rereading the original message): If it is just for viewing or printing out the form you may ignore that message. You may also try to just save it, as you have a Reader version which no longer needs the Extended Rights (at your risk).

Hope this can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I installed Adobe Acrobat DC 2015.016.20039 and opened that file with it. No issue, then I tried opening the file with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, same issue again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just the predictable and correct behavior.

It is only Reader which depends on the Extended Rights. Acrobat can actively ignore them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2016 May 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am recieving the same error '', when I am trying to open a PDF form which uses '2D barcode extended' feature to enable dynamic generation of barcode. The PDF form uses barcode, which dynamically changes based on the data entered on the form, '2D barcode extended feature' is required to enable generation of barcode in PDF reader. This is the observation on certain PCs only, for other PCs this seem to just working fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. 

Removing data bindings from all fields seemed to work initially. However, after some other changes to the form were made, and I resaved as a Reader Extended file with a new name, the error has reappeared. I've checked the form, and there are no data bindings on any field.

The date/time thing is not an issue -- all PCs are on the same network.

I cannot demand that everyone upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader. No one has any other PDF viewing program, so it would only be Adobe products opening the file.

Even after extensive Googling, I have no idea how to save a copy that disables the usage rights for Reader as Indiana Homeland suggested in another thread.

It's an extremely complex form, so I do not want to create a new form as Lund UK suggested in another thread.

Any thoughts? This is an extremely frustrating situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well and we are using Acrobat Reader (latest version). I've always saved as extended when sending to client and no problem. Now they are getting that message. I've tested it using 2020 Reader version and got same message. What if I don't make it reader-enabled any longer? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Acrobat Reader DC or Acrobat Reader 2020 you don't need this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was simpler than I thought, and believe me, I was going all kinds of places to try to remedy the same problem:

Right click and select "open file with" and then select Adobe.  This should open up the enabled version.

If saving a form from an email, website, etc, ensure you right click the file and "save file as" and DO NOT CLICK the downloaded PDF from the bottom of your screen.  Instead, go to the file in whichever location you saved, right click and select "open file with" and then select Adobe. This should open up enabled version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried saving the form but stil not able to fill the form and the pdf is getting the same error. (Acrobat DC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone who is having the error message;

"This document enabled extended features in Adobe Acrobat Reader. The document has been changed since it was created and use of extended features is no longer available. Please contact the author for the original version of this document."

I was using Norton Virus Gaurd and it didn't allow the PDF script to run. So I selected the file from Norton and restored and saved the file on Desktop. It worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply !

I don't have Norton Virus Guard on my computer I only have Window's Defender.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a) Close the Adobe Reader program;
b) Access the path "C:\Users\"Your user"\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\DC\Security\". Careful! The folders are hidden;
c) Rename the file "addressbook.acrodata" to "addressbook.acrodata.old";

This will solve the problem, hope the adobe support will fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks alot ! It worked for me. My folders were hidden so I changed the settings to "View" hidden folders and worked like a charm. Thanks alot again !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one worked for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be the correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not worked to me. Solution for me was uninstall (with revo uninstaller) and reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

work for me. thanksfull

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to open a pdf document using Acrobat Reader DC sent by my lawyer and I am getting the following message:

"This document enabled extended features in Adobe Acrobat Reader.  The document has been changed since it was created and use of extended features is no longer available. Please contact the author for the original version of this document"

Has anybody come across this message before and if so how did you solve it?

I have asked the sender to check on his side but he is not sure what to do.

I have already de-installed and installed Acrobat Reader DC several times, rebooted the computer, searched in Google but I can not seem to be able to find how to get it to work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you found out the answer? I'm facing the similiar issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have been creating contracts for a few years now without any issue until Feb 1,2018.  After a contract is created it is sent to four separate parties for digital signature.  In the past month in half the first signee has been receiving the error message: "This document enabled extended features in Adobe Acrobat Reader.  The document has been changed since it was created and use of extended features is no longer available.  Please contact the author for the original version of this document."  We have made sure that enhanced security features are disabled on all users at our end.  We have also tried saving it with out reader extended features and still no luck.  Every user on our end operates with the latest Acrobat Reader DC version. We cannot say what are clients use but that point is mute since the document never makes it past office users.  W have tried some of the various other suggestions related to this topic but with no luck so far. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying to solve this problem for my client and it's doing my head in.

I've created a document in Indesign. opened it in Acrobat and created forms. i've saved it with extened feautres as i've done hundreds of times. the client is on a PC and has had no problems in the past, however now they keep getting the above error message. 

'The document has been changed since it was created and use of extended features is no longer available'

no search online has been able to solve this problem. Please help!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does you add the features?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines