• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The file is damaged and could not be repaired.

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2008 Jul 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intermittently when we open a pdf in the browser in one of our main Enterprise applications, we get the error "The file is damaged and could not be repaired."

Downloading and opening always works (however for our system this is a less than acceptable workaround).

The only common denominator we can find is that this is only happening in IE6 (no matter what version of adobe reader). IE7 always opens the pdfs fine, regardless of the reader version.

I've seen this mentioned all of the place, and it often mentions that it's some sort of problem with the pdf and that reader 8 handles it better.

Any solutions yet?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2008 Jul 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like MISE is not completely downloading the file, but IE7 is.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2008 Jul 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, any solutions to get IE6 to play nice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've just found that Adobe Reader 6 (not 7, 8, or 9) fixes this problem.

Again, though, not an acceptable solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, loading the page with IE inside of Firefox with the "IE Tab" addon for Firefox works.

Again, not acceptable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2008 Jul 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone have a solution?

We also sometimes get:

"Expected a dict object"

This post, and it's comments, sort of point at what's going on: http://www.hyperborea.org/journal/archives/2005/10/24/fdf-errors/

However, none of those pdf's actually have any form elements to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2008 Jul 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone got a work around for this? I have the same problem here. But upgrading to IE7 sorts out this problem.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2008 Jul 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We made some server changes (updating our load balancer and apache), and the problem seems to have fixed itself!

And yes, IE7 always fixed the problem, but upgrading everyone frome IE6 to IE7 isn't an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2008 Jul 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert,

Can you please tell me what sort of update you have done on Apache? Is it a version update or any other change. Please let me know the version that you are on now.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2008 Aug 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it's not IE6 alone. We have IE7 here and we get intermittent errors as well. The version of Reader or Acrobat also does not fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2008 Aug 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What solved it for me at the USGS just now was to do the following:
1)IE browser, Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Security>Empty temp internet files at close=YES
2)IE browser, Tools>Internet Options>General>BrowsingHistory-Settings>Set disk cache to max allowed.

I figured that I may be hitting the max cache with these big pdf files, and there's no message to close my browser OR clear cache when it's maxxed out. It makes the file seem at fault.

This is also why downloading works, because you're outside of the browser cache overflow situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2012 Jul 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi.

Actually this is not a reply to Melanie but a tentative to start again from where some users faced troubles with damaged files.

My case is: either opening or downloading-saving-and-opening a certain pdf file from internet (IE8) on my PC I got the attached 05-07-2012-20.03.49.jpgmsg "this file is damaged and cannot be repaired".

I tried and retried.

However, I had no issue when opening it and downloading it on my ipad.

So I then copied it from my ipad to my PC but could not open it: same message.

I checked my Adbe Reader version: 7.0.9. No update available.

I tried to open other pdf files (on my PC) and it works, no issue to open them.

But THAT ONE, no, no way to read it.

Now because I can read it on ipad why making a fuss you will tell me?

Because I need to print it and can only do it from my PC.

Any idea?

BR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want something, go get something.

I'm telling you the best solution ever according to me as I'm using it.

Check it. It will be helpful...............

http://www.sysinfotools.com/recovery/pdf-recovery.html

Cheers.................

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is really no need to resurrect four year old topics!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless one wants to sell something? I'm not saying that such is the case, but it is a possibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My SEO spidey sense is tingling.

Evidently this posters excitement started here http://forums.adobe.com/message/4376037#4376037 but amazingly enough, the poster they got the link from seems to be well versed in marketspeak. Then this persons next three posts are all old threads brought back from the dead.

Thinking they're just trying to inject links. Unfotunately for them links from this forum (and most others) are nofollowed so they don't help their website rank whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines