• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble with Reader since I upgraded my Mac to Ventura

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve been having trouble with Reader since I upgraded my Mac to Ventura.

If you go to this 9 Nov list of Adobe products compatible with Ventura, Reader isn’t on it. https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/macos-ventura-compatability-common-issues.html

The page says to wait til the uncompatibles are compatible, but I’m stuck and have to live with it. I’m guessing I’m not alone in this.

The main manifestation of this problem is that my comment toolbar only has the highlighter in it, not all the others. In fact, I have to shut comments off to get to the workarounds I’ve been using. So far, the workarounds seem to work. But I’d feel better if I knew Reader was not going to go squirrelly on me or my proofs would be hard for someone to read my comments done in my workarounds.

I stumble on this page: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/background-processes-macos-ventura.html
Fix issues for Acrobat Refresh Manager | macOS 13 Ventura

It mentions Adobe Acrobat Synchronizer, but I’ve seen scary comments about it online.

Can anyone give me some guidance on this? I’ve chatted with three live operators and they were, uh, let’s just say, unhelpful. The last one said: “Hello, I'd be happy to help you today, let me first pull up your account information and access your details.” And then 5 minutes later, all I got was this: “While this conversation has ended, feel free to come back anytime you need help.”

TOPICS
Comment markup and annotate , General troubleshooting , Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no point calling Chat if you have free software only, there is no support for free software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If "there is no support for free software" then why did they just send me the following message? 

We’re Here to Help

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting Adobe Customer Care. Your case is still open, and we want to be sure your request has been addressed. Please let us know if you need more help or would like to provide additional information.

Here are some details about the request you submitted:

Case Number: XXXXXXXXX 
Issue: Performance
This case will remain open for the next 3 days to give you some time to respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's surprising but may be good. Did you respond?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-12-24 at 8.46.58 AM.png

Yes. A FOURTH chat. It was then they asked if I had an account. So, I guess you were right after all about no support for free software. Why it took til the fourth chat to tell me that, I don't know. They emailed me one of these (above). I picked the firsrt star on the left and told them their customer assistance was a "discrace," that I had tried four chats and that, since their free program was failing in a software one of the chatters swore it worked in (even though it's not listed in their list of Adobe apps that work in Ventura), that they owed me some support. I gave them my two email addresses and await further word. In the meantime, I found workarounds to the Ventura Reader failings and I just hope they hold and the app doesn't crash.

In the meantime, I refer you to my initial missive on the 19th, to see if you or anyone else here can shed any light on this failing. Thanks.

BTW, I've clicked the Email me when someone replies box, but haven't received notifications of your responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a problem with Reader after upgrading from Catalina 10.15.7 to Ventura 13.1 on an Intel iMac. After the upgrade, Reader incorrectly complained that no pages were selected at printout, making it impossible to print. I then reinstalled Reader which made things even worse. Now Reader starts without showing any window, only the dock icon with a dot is seen. It is impossible to exit normally, I have to do a forced exit.

I also have a PC  with Windows 11 22H2 where I have VMware Player 17 and a Ventura VM. In this VM I can install and run Reader without problem.

The workaroundfor the iMac (until Adobe have fixed the Ventura bugs) is to install Adobe Pro with a 7-day trial. After the installation I cancelled the subscription. When logged in to the Adobe account and without a subscription plan, Adobe Pro is identical to Reader, with the difference that Pro works and Reader does not.

Another alternative is to use Chrome. Its pdf reader is enough for my needs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem I had with Acrobat Reader is solved, it appears that it was related to Open Core Legacy Patcher.

The solution was to restart the Mac in Safe Mode an do a Reader virgin run. I also had a problem with Speedtest crashing that was also solved this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, can you be more specific for those of us who are not as versed in safe mode? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe late but I did what Mats said. There is more detail:

1. Uninstall AAR. I used AVG Tune Up but maybe just by deleting will work.

2. Enter in safe mode. I did follow these: https://support.apple.com/lv-lv/guide/mac-help/mh21245/mac

3. Once in safe mode, I installed AAR and finally the Terms and Conditions popup came and also the one for establish AAR as default pdf reader.

4. Restart mac and voila! AAR now opens pdf files normally.

Hope this will be helpfull. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines