• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to delete PDF Files if Adobe Reader DC is set as Default Preview Handler. Affects only files that are on a network path. OS: Server 2016

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to delete PDF Files if Adobe Reader DC is set as Default Preview Handler. Affects only files that are on a network path. Only occurs when the Preview Pane in Windows Explorer is in use.

All of the mentioned steps are being performed on a Remote Desktop Session Host Server.

Build: 14393

Adobe Reader DC Version: 18.011.20058

Network folder hosting OS: Server 2008 R2 Standard, Server 2016 Standard, Datacenter

As tested the file cannot be removed if preview pane is activated and adobe reader DC is the default pdf preview handler and/or set as default program to open *.pdf. This applies only to files that are on a network share. Tests have shown inconsistent problems if a file is residing on a local path - sometimes there are even here problems so that a file cannot be deleted, which has been a rare case.

Double check: On a Windows Server 2008R2 Standard that is using the same Adobe Reader DC version and has everything set the same. On this OS it is possible to delete the file.

Tripple check: Using Server 2016 Standard to delete file residing on Server 2016 standard with Adobe Reader DC in above mentioned version. Not possible to delete file from unc path. If the file resides local it's possible to delete.

Quadruple check: Uninstalled Adobe Reader DC. Installed Foxit PDF Reader on Server 2016 Standard, set as default program and preview handler. Test -> it's possible to delete PDF's open in preview pane from a unc path. Installed Adobe Reader DC again, set as default program to open PDF. Foxit still remains preview handler. As long foxit remains the preview handler i can delete the pdf's that are on a unc path.

Extra check: On my Windows 10 client I can always delete files that are on a unc path and have not yet experienced trouble.

Conclusion: This problem persists and is still not addressed or taken care of by Adobe. Unfortunately there is no workaround that I've found on that topic  from Adobe.

Please don't be so smart to tell me that I just should use Foxit or whatever PDF Viewer cause that's unfortunately not a topic to be discussed for the customers we are serving. Any help would be much appreciated, maybe somebody can escalate this topic to Adobe themselves so it finally gets addressed and solved.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 23, 2019 Feb 23, 2019

Found the problem!

On my PC at least, it was definitely Adobe Reader (when it is the default reader for PDF).

When I made an alternate reader my default application for PDF's, the problem went away.

When I made Acrobat Reader my default reader, the problem came back. Could not delete PDF's (unless I used various workarounds).

====

Solution:

Open Reader

Go to View >> Preferences >> Security (Enhanced).

Unclick "Enabled Enhanced Security"

Click OK

=====

You can now delete PDF's in File Explorer when the Prev

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2019 Feb 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the problem!

On my PC at least, it was definitely Adobe Reader (when it is the default reader for PDF).

When I made an alternate reader my default application for PDF's, the problem went away.

When I made Acrobat Reader my default reader, the problem came back. Could not delete PDF's (unless I used various workarounds).

====

Solution:

Open Reader

Go to View >> Preferences >> Security (Enhanced).

Unclick "Enabled Enhanced Security"

Click OK

=====

You can now delete PDF's in File Explorer when the Preview pane is open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This method did nothing for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines