Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to save PDF to network drive "disk used for temporary files is full"

New Here ,
May 10, 2010 May 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just upgaded Adobe Acrobat to the current version, 9.3.2 organization-wide about a week ago. Since then, a handful of people (4 users out of 40) are having an issue where they cannot save PDF documents to a network drive. They get the following error:

"The disk you were saving to or the disk used for temporary files is full. Free some space on this disk and try again, or save to a different disk."

However, they can save the file locally and drag it over to the desired network share.

Can anyone tell me what this is about? I've searched online but haven't found anything useful. It doesn't make sense that most computers are able to save to a network share and others aren't - any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are in the Reader forum, not the Acrobat forum. Please repost there. Please give us details on the OS on the client and the network drive. I do this all the time under Windows 7 (and previously XP) with no issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, from the sound of it, it seems like a permissions issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2010 May 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, it is Adobe Reader, not  Acrobat, so this is the correct forum.

It can't be a permissions issue, as the users this is happening to have full control on the network share they are trying to save PDFS to.

The computers are Windows XP and the network drive is a data drive on Windows 2000 Server.  The users have full permissions to write to the drive, and can copy/move/drag-and-drop the PDF saved from their desktop. As for permissions on the PDF itself, I had them send me the PDFS and I am able to save directly to the network drive without issues, as are most other people in the office.

Is there a setting within Adobe Reader that needs to be enabled/disabled to correct this? I tried comparing everything I can think of, but I can't find any differences.

Thanks again for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2010 May 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just had a user report this identical problem?

- Users local drive has plenty of freespace.

- Users network drives have plenty of free space.

- User can save locally and then manually copy the file to the network share.

I havn't troubleshooted this yet but the first thing I am going to test is the problem described here ----> http://z1-x.blogspot.com/2008/06/adobe-acrobat-file-name-limit-too-long.html

I'm hope this has been fixed in newer versions of Adobe. Though I won't hold my breath as its still an issue in Microsoft office and shadow copy (although the problem occurs at 255 characters I think).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2010 May 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that link in my research on this problem and figured it was the culprit - but when I saved to the same exact file structure and path on my local machine (or several other test machines) it can save just fine.

I really am stumped as to why this is happening on only a select number of machines.  I've compared all the options in Adobe Reader Preferences, but everything seems to be the same. No idea what else to try! Especially frustrating since Adobe doesn't offer support on this product..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2010 May 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the exact problem when saving modified PDF file on a shared network drive. This continues even we upgraded from v8 to v9.3.2 of Acrobat Pro.

We also tried to have "Security (Enhanced)" disabled in the local preferences and it didn't help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2010 Jun 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also having this issue and tried to recreate the folder structure locally.  It wasn't recurring locally...until I added in a folder representing server path.  Make sure you're accounting for all characters that are in the actual file path, not just file/folder names, when you're doing this.  I had the users who were having this problem start abbreviating file names that they were using on their server shares and this resolved the issue for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2010 Oct 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION (that worked for me)

I had the same problem that PDFs couldnt be saved on a network drive for some users, but others were fine. Not only that but they COULD drag and drop other files onto the network shares so I knew it wasnt a permission issuse.

I found out that I had disk quotas turned on, although the server had plenty of space the users were only allowed certain amount of data each (1GB) and some particular users were hitting there limited (just so happens the pdf files were much larger then the other files they were transfering to the network drive other wise the same error would of happened not just PDFs).

1. Log on to the Windows Small Business Server 2003 box as a member of the Administrators or Domain Admins      group.

2. Open the Server Management console from the Start menu or using a desktop icon.

3. Expand the Advanced Management entry in the left pane.

4. Expand Computer Management.

5. Expand Storage.

6. Select Disk Management

7. Right-click the disk volume for which you wish to set  user quotas and click Properties.

8. Highlight the Quota tab

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6117811.html

Hope this helps anyone.

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2011 Feb 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be a bug related to protected mode, at least in Adobe Reader X. Unchecking "Enable Protected Mode at startup" in the General tab fixed this for my users.

Solution was found here: http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showpost.php?s=e6a2833bf89a00e88c52b01713cc734f&p=461932&postcount=21

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2011 Feb 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mvshaney...perfect solution for this military user; simple and completely effective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 01, 2011 Oct 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, this is exactly what I needed and it fixed my problem!  Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 03, 2012 Apr 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked for me, thank you so much mvshaney for posting it.

Adobe: This is a DISGRACE!  This post is 2 years old and your new software still has the same bug!

1. the error message is wrong
  2. why is it not possible to save a protected file. At the very least
    1. tell me ahead of time that I won't be able to save it
    2. tell me HOW to save it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this worked for my users aswell.

Unbelieveable that Adobe has not fixed this yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here! Adobe 11.0.03, user couldn't save to network folder.

Disabled protection mode, saving worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note that effective immediately, I will be switching my email address to [removed]

Thank you for changing your contact information.

Nathalie Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a public forum; please do not post your email address or other private data!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note that effective immediately, I will be switching my email address to [removed]

Thank you for changing your contact information.

Nathalie Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then please change your email address in your Adobe profile, rather than sending auto replies!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2011 Sep 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to add that the solution proposed by mvshaney worked for me as well - thank you!

I was having the same error message when saving an already open PDF from within Firefox. I was not trying to save to a networked drive, just to my local hard disk.  I had tried reinstalling the plug-in, the whole of Adober Reader and all the suggested support from Firefox to no avail.

But in Adobe Reader X, Edit>Preferences> unclick enable protected mode at start-up followed by complete restart of both Reader and Firefox, solved the problem completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently ran into this issue at work- only half the pc's with reader did not have the "enable protected mode at startup" box checked. However when we checked the box, closed adobe completely - reopened, unchecked the box, closed adobe comletely and reopened it worked fine! I've done this on 12 pc's so far, give it a try it your protected mode isn't checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this post is now 10 years old, but wanted to post the answer to this issue.  At least what fixed it for us.  Didn't really find this answer anywhere else in the forums or other sites.

When the error "The disk you were saving to or the disk used for temporary files is full. Free some space on this disk and try again, or save to a different disk." happens, but there is not a disk full issue or a rights issue writing to the intended folder (this is the catch), make sure that the user is able to successfully traverse from the root to the intended folder one folder at a time.

It seems that Adobe does just go straight to the destination folder.  Example:  \\Home\Users\Accounting\Bob

It appears to step down to the destination folder.

If Bob has rights to just his folder, but no rights at all to Users or Accounting, you will get this error.  

If Bob can start in Home, double click Users, double click Accounting, and then double click Bob, you will not get the error.  

At least special permissions to traverse, list, and read have to be granted to Home, Users, and Accounting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you man,

this is exactly what I just found out after some testing. I wish I had seen this post earlier.

A colleague of mine is exactly in the same situation: she has to save files in a network path (say \\share\folder1\folder2\folder3\her_name) but she has no access to "folder1", and what you described is what is happening to her right now.

We had to turn "protected mode" off for it to work (not a fan of that workaround though, but it seems like it's the only way to have her save her files).

Thank you, though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines