Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to search in a pdf file

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey hi

I am unable to search words in a pdf file. Can someone guide me what should i do??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main reason that normally causes this is because the pdf is created from a scanned image. That means, there is no text to search (and nothing you can do about it using the free Reader software).

You can test this. Using the select tool, try selecting a word in the text. If you can't do it, it's a scan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to select a word and copy. But when i am pasting it in word, it is showing many squares or diamond shaped symbols. Kindly help me. I need a solution to it as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to select a word and copy. But when i am pasting it in word, it is showing many squares or diamond shaped symbols. Kindly help me. I need a solution to it as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another reason might be that the text is badly encoded. To test that, if you were able to select the text (as mentioned above), copy it and then paste into a plain-text editor. Does it come out as legible text? If not, then it also can't be searched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Report the issue to the people who created the file. There's nothing you can do about it with the free Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sourav,

Please share the PDF. It will help us to resolve the issue quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to share pdf file here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can send file here: [Moderator: Personal information removed] send private message: How Do I Send Private Message and how to share a file: How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pdf that I can't make word searchable. Is there something I can do to change that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can subscribe to Adobe Acrobat DC if you are not subscribed. In Adobe Acrobat DC we have Preflight tool which will make your PDF searchable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Preflight tool doesn't make a file searchable. They would need to use the Recognize Text tool for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So where do I find that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat DC search the Tools panel for "recognize".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open it in MS Word and search away.  For Free.  Save it back, and search the PDF in Adobe or any other program. For Free.  Because now it is text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I meant to say open it in OneNote and OCR it.

Sorry, cant edit a comment.  It is forever a mistake.  Thanks Adobe Forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines