• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unwanted password

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A pdf I filed has been sealed by Adobe with a password I didn't want and don't know. How can I open the file? 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barry27963235b0p0 

You cannot open a PDF that requires a password unless you have the password. There is no way around this.

In addition, passwords cannot be created in Adobe Acrobat Reader (where you posted). They can be created in the paid version of Acrobat, but only with user action.

How did you create the PDF? In Word? In Excel? Or did you download it from the web and fill it out? Please give us details so we can better assist.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, thanks for responding. I completed a government form on line and when I submitted it the agency concerned acknowledged receipt and seent me a pdf copy of the form for my records. I did not open it then, just saved it to my 'downloads' folder while I waited for a new printer to arrive. When it did I attempted to open the pdf only to be confronted with the demand for a password which I do not have. On searching on line for an explanation I found numerous queries from other people who had experienced the same thing. It appears that adobe reader sets the password itself and locks the pdf behind ir, a bug that is supposed to have been fixed but clearly hasn't. I deleted adobe and reloaded it but with no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barry27963235b0p0 

Can you contact the government agency and tell them the issue? It could well be something happening at their end and they have to fix it. They should send you a PDF that you can open.

Again, setting a password requires Adobe Acrobat. It simply cannot be done in the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Can you show a screenshot of the error message you are getting? Are you using Reader on a Windows computer or a Mac?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

I am using Acrobat Reader on a Windows 11 laptop, I have never bought the Pro version. I do not think the Gov't agency is responsible, and I now accept that the file is lost to me forever. If you look at the chain on adobe Support community you will see what I mean about the origin of the problem. https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/my-pdf-file-is-asking-for-a-password-even-... . I am about to uninstal Acrobat Reader for good, having just reinstalled it yesterday.

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

Any further thoughts on this before I give up all hope?

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes Government agencies protect PDFs that they email, to protect your privacy. They use a password you should know, such as an ID number. But you can't guess and neither can we; you can contact the agency to ask them, before you give up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barry27963235b0p0 wrote:

Hi Jane,

Any further thoughts on this before I give up all hope?

Barry

Hi Barry,

Let's start with the things I mentioned earlier:

• What happened when you contacted the government agency? 
  • If you tried to post a screenshot, it didn't come through. Please try again.
  • In addition, I don't see your reply for the OS you are using?

@jane-e wrote on 16 January:

Can you contact the government agency and tell them the issue? It could well be something happening at their end and they have to fix it. They should send you a PDF that you can open.

Can you show a screenshot of the error message you are getting? Are you using Reader on a Windows computer or a Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I do not think the Gov't agency is responsible

Based on what? I'm willing to bet you they are. And you don't need Acrobat to open such a file. The free Reader is sufficient, if you know the password.

> and I now accept that the file is lost to me forever.

Why? Just contact them and ask them to send you the password for your file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ഞാൻ ഡൗൺലോഡ് ചെയ്തതാണ്.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines