Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is file.org?

Jun 02, 2013 Jun 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I respond to the prompt to update Adobe reader, I am now taken to something called "File.org". What is this? Is it safe? I can't find it listed inmy installed programs, I am not sure where it came from.

Thanks

Bill

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell you what it is, only that it downloaded itself onto my computer when I was looking for a program that could open up a file and I downloaded that program onto my computer.  The best thing I can tell you is that if you are looking for a program to open up a file that you can't open, with what you have on your PC, then you will probably get this "file.org" downloaded onto your PC when you download the "free" program that opens up a file you need to open.  Once this file.org program is on your PC it hides itself.  It will pretend to be other software programs and will give you a notification when some of your software programs need to be updated.  What drew my attention is when I got a notice to update my Adobe software.  The notification looked different than all my other Adobe notifications.  That's when I knew something had taken over my PC.  You can delete the file but you won't find it by sorting your programs according to date

installed because file.org puts a very old "installed" date in the system and it won't show up that way.  The program is labelled "File Type Assistant".  Go to "Control Panel" / "Programs" / "Uninstall a Program" .  Look for "File Type Assistant".  Although its "installed On" date will be very old, the date is false.  Delete the file and you will be free of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks!

Sheri'

[private data removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Mate BillyBob

I think I finally could figure out how to get rid of this nasty .exe  file

So here is  what i did

when this message popped up I went into the task manager and looked at the processes running then

It was evident this was " File Type Assistant "

I ended this process immediately and went to the control panel and uninstalled the application from the computer

Hope this helps

Sorry ...English is my second language and hope i make sense...cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have the following PC issues, I have the solution:

• Your computer is running slower than usual
  • Does it take forever to run or load programs
  • Your computer freezes up or crashes at random
  • You are plagued by the Blue Screen of Death
  • Computer errors frequently pop up and hassle you
  • Your system takes forever to boot up or shut down

You don't need technical expertise to use [Link removed - Mod] it is user friendly and doesn't take up too much of your time. Give it a try today and finish the task seamlessly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines