• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Adobe converted file (pdf to rtf/docx) rejected as an Invalid Source file by Kindle Create?

Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, 

I am attempting to self-publish the digital version of my paperback on Amazon Kindle Direct publishing, using "Kindle Create" to make the necessary layout changes.  I produced my paperback on InDesign. And have just subscribed (free trial) to Adobe in desperate attempt to achieve necessary file conversion (from pdf to rtf or doc. or docx) in order to produce the digital version.  Kindle Create rejects the converted files every time as an Invalid Source.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, kindly? 

With thanks in advance, 

Kirsten

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Did you, by any chance, outline the text/fonts in InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you, by any chance, outline the text/fonts in InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did use InDesign to outline and shade paragraphs and for fonts, as well as footers. I also used Master Pages for page numbering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you outlined the text, get ready to retype it. It is t clear from your reply whether you did this. You can do a quick check, ppr the Word document, and try selecting and copying text. Unless you kept the version before outlining. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say that I have begun "cleaning out" any InDesign traces in the manuscirpt in a word doc on my Mac. 303 pages of didactic material. Your answer confirmed what I had suspected.  That I need to go through each page... ( I'd done so much editing already of the paperback version that I had hoped I could just press a few buttons and get the digital version ready to go!)  Your answering was much appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm probably missing something obvious, but why aren't you just submitting a PDF to KDP as Amazon recommend? Again, though...If you outlined text it's lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines