• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create bookmarks on iPad adobe

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

h‌ow do I create bookmarks?  This feature seems to be missing.

TOPICS
Edit and export , iOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Acrobat DC/Reader for Android supports custom/user bookmarks.  Unfortunately, Acrobat DC/Reader for iOS has not supported it yet.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

View solution in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Users of Creative Cloud can add bookmarks with Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not on iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat doesn't exists for iOS or Android.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Pro does exist for iOS because I'm using it. Unfortunately, I'm using it without the ability to add bookmarks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Pro is available for Windows or Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does exist. Currently, I am running Adobe Acrobat for iOS, and it does not support bookmaks, even if I pay the monthly suscription. This is vey frustating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I've found a workaround. iOS Adobe lets you write comments, which record the page on which they are written.

1. Write the comment on the page you wish to bookmark (I would suggest commenting with the subject matter to which you wish to jump).

2. Go to the "..." at the top corner and select Comments, which will show a list of all your comments and the page on which they are written.

3. Click on the comment to jump to that page.

Bookmarks with editable titles! (That was a silver lining exclamation point, Adobe should have implemented bookmarks by now, but I'm not sure I would have found a way to title the bookmark, so... silver lining.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunetly I'm using this a text book and I do alot of highlighting of text.  All my highlights also show up in comments which means I have alot of comments.  But at least I can find how far into the book I've read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+++++ Adding to this discussion,

Let's be clear that the Acrobat Reader Mobile app wasn't necessarily developed entirely byAdobe. That is a fact that  falls on Google and the same goes with Apple and their iOS powered devices.

If you notice, you can download this app for Android OS from  both of the Adobe's download links and Google Play Store. But in the case of Apple, you may only download the app from their iTunes App Store. 

To clarify about the ability to add bookmarks with the app in Android OS , that is just a feature of the Android operating system, not Adobe.

Those bookmarks are not retained if you transfer that same file to your desktop computer and open it  with the Acrobat Pro DC full version.

So, again, this is only a feature that is only available in Google Android devices. This being the case, you may as well want to go and complain about it with Apple.

The main observation here is that, just like Adobe Reader DC, the Acrobat Reader mobile app is an open source software and free to use and distribute (some registration required in order to distribute in enterprise environments though). But when you sign-in with your AdobeID in the app, it unlocks non-free software (which is governed by copyrights, legal, and commercial licensing agreements).

So this is a very particular case of open source software that is tied up to commercial licensing features.

In other words, the ability to bookmark is obviously a licensed commercial feature. It will not be ditributed freely in an open source version of the PDF viewer and reader.

So, this also being the case, we should not confuse (nor compare), nor fall prey of misleading software advertising campaigns, and expect that a free PDF reader for mobile devices will have the same capabilites of a full blown PDF editor for desktop computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have some corrections for you.

"Let's be clear that the Acrobat Reader Mobile app wasn't necessarily developed entirely byAdobe."

All Adobe apps potentially include code written by others, and do rely on their operating system. But this is no more or less true for Mac/Windows versus Android/iOS

"If you notice, you can download this app for Android OS from  both of the Adobe's download links and Google Play Store. But in the case of Apple, you may only download the app from their iTunes App Store. "

This is Apple's absolute rule. Nobody else can distribute iOS apps. All iOS apps are checked very thoroughly to make sure they are "safe" for Apple users. But the code is still authored by the submitter (Adobe in this case). Google's rules for Android are more relaxed, but still many people block anything but the Google Play Store.

"To clarify about the ability to add bookmarks with the app in Android OS , that is just a feature of the Android operating system, not Adobe."

No, it's a feature of the app. From my memory (someone may correct me), the Android developers responded to requests for bookmarks by creating their own completely separate way of doing them, stored as a separate file. How this was allowed to happen is anyone's guess. The code to read the separate file is only in the Android app and in any case the separate file doesn't travel with the PDF.

"Those bookmarks are not retained if you transfer that same file to your desktop computer a...So, again, this is only a feature that is only available in Google Android devices. " True, because Adobe coded it that way.

"The main observation here is that, just like Adobe Reader DC, the Acrobat Reader mobile app is an open source software" GOOD GRIEF, NO IT ISN'T !!! That would mean the source was available, rather than a heavily protected trade secret. (It's a trade secret).

" and free to use and distribute" Free to license for use.

"But when you sign-in with your AdobeID in the app, it unlocks non-free software" Yes

"(which is governed by copyrights, legal, and commercial licensing agreements)." ALL the software is governed by this. The idea of unlocking part of an app if money is paid is the usual arrangement in iOS and Android.

"So this is a very particular case of open source software " No, no, no! Please look up "open source".

"So, this also being the case, we should not confuse (nor compare), nor fall prey of misleading software advertising campaigns, and expect that a free PDF reader for mobile devices will have the same capabilites of a full blown PDF editor for desktop computers." Absolutely right. The free (to use) software exists only to sell the commercial products, not to replace them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test_Screen_Name:

Thank you for clarifying.

I apologize for using the wrong term... I don't know why the heck I said about open source.

I meant to say freeware... freeware with Propietary license..

To everyone in this thread, please excuse my mistake and any unnecessary confusions that I might've create.

About the bookmarks, I was corrected by other  Adobe ACPs and MVPs before.

Back in December 2019 there was another user asking this question.

I told the user that I was able to bookmark in Android, but then an Adobe ACP sustained that this was a feature of Android, not the Acrobat Reader mobile app; answer was marked as correct... 

I assume that  some more research is necessary find out about this feature  and see if it belongs to Android or the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting. I missed that reply, and it is indeed (I believe) incorrect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that the Adobe Reader mobile app have some free features and some suscription features. But, please, could you respond to a suscription client like me, why I can't add, modify or delete a bookmark on my iOS, when I am suscribed in the same suscription as an Android client? Please, this feature is requested since 2016 and I think 7 years is long enough to develop such a feature, so I don't want to read more nonsense excuses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader on Android uses a feature of Android for the bookmarks. This bookmarks are not saved in the PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the question how can iOS suscribers clients officially complaint to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this feature now available? I'm using Acrobat Pro version 21.01.04 on my Ipad and still can't find a way to add bookmarks. I'm in disbelief. I've tried other readers (goodreader/PDF Pro) and they all offer this functionality. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not with the Acrobat Reader mobile I'm afraid, but I may be wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is incomprehensible that still in 2023 there is no ability to bookmark a PDF in iOS. This is ridiculous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to also bring that observation to Apple's attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your prompt response. However...

Acrobat is not my product & I don't write the code. I merely pay to have premium features, which should include the very basic ability to bookmark a PDF. 
Since you are the app creator, I believe it is up to you to negotiate this basic functionality with Apple.

Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

FYI: This is a community driven Internet forum.  As such, I am just another Adobe customer (like you and many others here).

I help other users  in these forums on a voluntary basis and I am  not an Adobe employee nor a creator of apps.

My suggestion is to use the User Voice channel to request a feature.

You'll get a better chance to be heard.

To report a bug or request a feature use these links:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jackie29754135qt5m,

As mentioned above, the feature depends more on Apple than Acrobat Reader mobile.

However, you can use comments to navigate through the file as a workaround. The comments can be deleted as and when required.

Meanwhile, let me take this up with the team and check if there is a possibility to get this implemented with the application.

Also, I would highly recommend sharing your feedback on our feature request form: https://acrobat.uservoice.com/

-Souvik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This point that is being missed is that the BOOKMARKS feature should not be something that is on customer's wishlist, it is meant to be part of the basic functionality of the program.  This isn't just about acrobat editor on ios (paid subscription) it also applies to web browser acrobat pro (again, a paid subscription).  If I'd known this feature was absent I wouldn't have subscribed.  There are adobe extensions for all the different browsers too and they don't include bookmarks.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its beyond ridiculous!  Despite being a paid subscription.  Same applies to adobe acrobat pro used in web browser. No bookmarking panel in safari or chrome or firefox or even google on any of these browsers despite there being an acrobat extension. Once again, all paid subscriptions yet limited functionality for no good reason.  Whats more, acrobat pro desktop is unstable and slow on the latest macs which is pretty poor for a supposedly premium product. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe really has some nerve making us pay annually on subscription to use Acrobat, yet they refuse to add professional functionality to the iPad App. The iPad App is a parody of the genre.

Sincerely,

Joseph A. Maniscalco, Jr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines