Acrobat won't open PDF files if they have accented vowels

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm saving some documents in Document Cloud but I having some problems when I want to open some of those PDF files:

1. I have some DOCX documents I'm saving as PDF/A-2a. After uploading them using my computer (PC or Mac) to Document Cloud, I have the DOCX and the PDF.
  2. If the file name has accented vowels (á, é, í, ó, ú) or the letter "ñ", I get an error when I try to open the PDF file (this error does not happen with the DOCX which opens as expected). I get this error message: "La ruta de acceso al documento no es válida". Something like: "The file path is not valid".

For example: If I have this file: "Pautas de actuación en un incendio.pdf", Acrobat for iOS won't open it. But if I change the file name to "Pautas de actuacion en un incendio.pdf", Acrobat can open it. If the file is a DOCX instead a PDF, Acrobat can open it wether it has accented vowels or not.

And now, some (maybe) useful information for Adobe to fix the problem:

• Language used: Spanish.
  • I have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat and iOS.
  • I have the latest version of Acrobat Pro DC.
  • It doesn't mind if the PDF is normal or PDF/A-2a. Acrobat won't open them.
  • The "Introducción.pdf" inside "Local" folder after installing the app can be opened despite having and accented vowel.
  • If a PDF file has accented vowels or the letter "ñ" but it was saved first in "Local", it can be opened. For example: if I copy a PDF file with accented vowels from Dropbox to Acrobat app ("Local" folder) it can be opened. Even if I then move it to "Document Cloud"; it can be opened.
  • Files open fine if I open them in Document Cloud using a web browser or if I a open them from Acrobat Pro DC on a Mac or PC.

So, accented vowels and the letter "ñ" seem to be problematic when the file is saved in Document Cloud using a Mac or PC.

Does Adobe know about this? Are they going to fix it? I don't want to change my filenames because of this.

Thanks and regards.

[Title edited to try and get the forum software to accept the message... Mod]

TOPICS
iOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Álvaro87

We have been hearing about this bug, and similar bugs involving Asian-language characters. We investigated and found it is a side effect of Apple's having switched, in iOS 10.3 and later, to their new APFS file system. (Before 10.3, iOS used Apple's HFS+ file system for many years.)

We are working on a fix for these problems, but I cannot say at this time when we will have the fix ready to release to the App Store.

Thank you in advance for your patience while we work on it,

Mike Laursen

Mobile App Development Manager, Adobe Acrobat Reader for iPhone and iPad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Than you. We'll have to wait for the fix

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines