• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat XI fillable forms on iPad and Android with Reader?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Acrobat Pro XI to create Reader Extended forms with fillable fields for saved data within, is there any special  save/setup/export required to make these forms fillable and savable using Reader on an iPad or Android mobile?

(I have an Android phone with the Adobe Reader app installed, and when I view a fillable PDF form that works perfectly on my laptop with Reader, I cannot even click into a field on the phone...)

TOPICS
iOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to do anything special, though I don't know why it's not working on your phone. Just make sure it's actually being opened in Reader and not some other PDF viewer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am certainly using Reader; I'm using specifically-downloaded Adobe Reader apps on both my Android phone and on my iPad.

The result is identical in both cases: I can't place the cursor within a field, I can't make an action button of NEXT> go to the next page, I can't get a PRINT button to launch a print window, etc.

It's as if forms aren't forms at all, but 'flat' PDFs -- even though the exact same PDF works perfectly with Reader on a Windows laptop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Removing the PDF from opening within any type of 'browser' or other display window was the first issue I removed from the consideration set.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this post that uses FormsCentral:

http://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/how-to-create-pdf-forms-for-use-on-mobile-devices

This process does make the form fields themselves work as expected, but not any of the button functions created in Acrobat Pro XI...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is true that certain actions are not supported (as you've found), but the fields should be fillable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George, no offense but replies of 'could be' and 'should be' are of no value -- especially when I am certain the fields are not working as they 'could be' or 'should be'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help if I could look at a file that doesn't work for you, but I can only test on an iOS device. If you can't post one online somewhere and provide a link, I'd be happy to take a look at a sample if you want to email one to me: acroscript at gmail dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, will email you the original and 'FormsCentral' versions momentarily!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is also interesting is that the 'checkbox' form field DOES work (and posts content to another text field as it was set up to do) on the converted FormsCentral PDF on both iPad and Android...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out that the problem was that the file had security applied so that changes were disallowed, though form filling was allowed. This is fine for forms when using the desktop versions of Reader, but the mobile versions can't handle this yet. So the fix is to simply Reader-enable the forms and not use any security restrictions if it needs to work with mobile Reader.

Also, regarding navigation buttons, if you use "Go to a page view" type actions for buttons, they will work on mobile versions of Reader, unlike "execute menu item" type actions or JavaScript (e.g., pageNum = 1). The trick on a mobile device is to tap the button, and not hold it down and then release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks George!

It's truly disappointing that Adobe would consider 'remove all document security' as an acceptable way to get a PDF form to work fully on mobile.

Pretty shocking, actually.

Let's hope Adobe provides a real solution to a very obvious issue quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is disappointing. Other forms-capable PDF viewers (on iOS at least) work fine when security restrictions are applied.

I also wanted to clarify something I wrote earlier. Forms used on mobile devices to not need to be Reader-enabled in order for them to be saved, but this is necessary for users with desktop versions (Win/Mac) prior to version 11, so it's usually a good idea to Reader-enable them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, now I see that running the form through FormsCentral as instructed in the infographic I linked to above merely made the PDF unsecured, and that's why the forms fields worked.

So using FormsCentral for this issue is not a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just so people reading this post might understand exactly what George is referencing in regards to nav buttons for mobile in Reply 10 above, those settings can be reconfigured under Forms>Edit, then double-click the button in question to get the Properties window to appear, and then change the settings under the Actions tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2014 Jun 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a form which I cannot get to work on the android phone is there any way if I emailed to someone they could have a look for me. Not to clued up on these issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have specifically purchased Adobe Acrobat Pro DC to create forms that are fillable on both laptop and mobile devices. After creating the form I have discovered that Adobe does not support mobile devices. Even though their website specifically states that by using (purchasing) the Adobe Acrobat Pro DC software makes form accessible and fillable across all platforms. I have countess hours reading and discussing this issue wiht Adobe only to be told that Adobe does not support this feature. What a HUGE disappointment and quite frankly a blatant example of false or misleading advertising.

Does anyone know how to enable the form to be filled out on android platforms?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create the form in Adobe Acrobat and use it. That is all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is June, 2018 and this is still an issue for mobile devices, including the iPad. How has adobe not fixed this? The 'authors' of a series of fillable forms (hundreds of hours having gone into them) should not have to reveal the nuts and bolts to users of iPads and mobile devices. Adobe, please do not abandon this topic. Kdan pdf does a better job on mobile devices. Still a bit off. Besides telling us not to use security, anyone know how to fix issues? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For fillable forms to work on iPads, you need to install the PDF Expert app. Then it will work perfectly. It did to me anyway 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I think you answered my post here: secure form on mobile Acrobat reader can't enter fields

So as I understand you: the Secure Form filling of form fields on mobile Acrobat Reader is NOT supported.

This is terrible!  The probelm for us is not that the user can cange the form, but USABILITY. When trying to get fat fingers into the fill fileds you often hit the other "fileds" - the text on the form and it is really hard to get to the fill items.

So the message that announces "All Adobe products enforce the restrictions set ty the Permissions Password......"  Is true EXCEPT for mobile Reader!

Any word from Adobe on support this feature anytime soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines