Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe (on Android) does not allow me to open files from my own Dropbox

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very annoying.

I'm using Android and if I open a pdf-file from Dropbox and then chooses "open with" to open it with acrobat... the result is that it does NOT open and I got a message saying "your organization does not allow this, please contact your adiminstrator".

I would have understood if it was onedrove or dropbox work subscription but it happens when I try to open a file on my OWN PRIVATE Dropbox.

What is the workaround to this bug?

TOPICS
Android , Enterprise mobility management and SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While using third party cloud storage services you will not be able to open the PDF in Acrobat as it should because these other companies have their own PDF handling/viewing software.

The workflow should be that, if the Adobe Reader mobile app is your default PDF handler in your mobile device that it should open natively in the Adobe Reader app.

Instead Dropbox, OneDrive, and others, will force the PDF to open in a web browser that has PDF viewing capability, for example.

You can see for yourself; save  a PDF to the Adobe Document Cloud.  Sign in with your AdobeID in the Reader mobile app, and open the file direclty from the Document Cloud.

You will observe that the PDF  opens in Adobe Reader immediately with no problems.

You will have to seek support from Dropbox and see what they suggest as a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for the answer. I think that I might have been unclear (or missed critiacal part of information in my first post) because there are a few things tat does not fully make sense in my case.

* If I uninstall "intunes" everything works as expected, I can open files from my private dropbox and get them opened in Adobe Acrobat (which is my default viewer on Android).

* If I keep intunes installed on the phone I can not open my files from dropbox so they are opened in Adobe Acrobat. However, both word, excel and ppt -files are opened directly in the real programs for respectively file so the only app that refuses to open the files is Adobe Acrobat.

* This problem has only existed for a few months but is very annoying (I have to chhose between being able to interact with apps like "Teams" OR to be able to work with my PDF -files). I was assuming this could be some bug (because when googling the problems I saw a lot of information saying that acrobat had recently been adapted to work smooth with intune

Are there any other solutions that could be applied/tried to be able to keep using acrobat? (or is the solution to swap it for a 3:rd party application for dpf's)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is so interesting!

Have you consulted this same question in the Apple support forums in regards of intune?

It looks like a conflict between cloud storage services and file synchronization when you enable intune.

All I can think of at this time is that you mentioned using Android.

You also mentioned that the last update of Adobe Reader mobile app addressed the issue to work smoothly with intune.

So, my next question would be, what about Android...is it updated too? 

Are we missing any guidance on how to configure Android with the intune app, and dropbox in Android?

When you go to Settings---> Apps--->inTune,  if you long press on the app icon, does it appears as the default app?

Check the same in the Reader mobile app, and Dropbox app.

Review all settings for Notifications, Permissions, and if anything under Not Set As Default need to be enabled as default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks.

I start with answering your questions and then I do a short summary of the status/problem.

I have not put the question in the apple support forum and will not be able to test anything (do not use Apple products).

I'm a bit stuck in not knowing if it is Intune, Acrobat or Dropbox. Regardless of which is is a real problem to be blocked fom opening my own files in the native program.

• I have tried it on two Android units, both with the latest firnware (a phone running Android 10 and a a tablet running Android 9).
  • If i uninstall intunes
    • There is no problem with my private acrobat files from my own private dropbox and they can be opened in the native default app (Adobes own Android app)
    • I can NOT start teams, chat application because it demands that I install intunes first
    • When accessing work-mail I need a separate pin-code for the mail
  • When having intunes installed the following happens
    • I do not longer need a specific pin code for work-mail
    • Acrobat REFUSES to open pdf-files from my personal dropbox. I can however open and edit Excel, Word and Powerpoint in their native apps without any problems (which is why I started to ask in this forum, I would guess that it is some miss or strange specification between intunes and Acrobat because otherwise I would assume that there would have been restrictions on the office suite also). It is also strange why it restrict an ordinary privat Dropbox account.
  • I will install intunes (once again) and look in Settings-->Apps--Intune as you suggested

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now instaleld intunes again and can now (as expected) log in to Teams but not open my own pdf files from private dropbox in the native app.

One remarkable thing is that what I just described happens without me even logging in within intunes, I have only installed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that I mixedup Intune for iTunes.... I was reading too fast and now I feel very stupid.

But here is what I found from Microsoft support:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune-user-help/why-enroll-android-device#gets-your-device-managed 

There are very specific configuration requirements for this service in the link above.

One specific point that Micrososft stresses about  is the part that is titled "Notifies you of Policy Updates and requirements".

See if thatis the case with your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I forgot to add this links that has additional links to how to configure dropbox from intune:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/Intune/comments/da4wx4/anyone_successfully_set_up_dropbox_to_install_via/ 

Last, if you expect that PDFs will open up natively with the Acrobat  Reader, mobile app, that is not possible.

Dropbox doesn't support Adobe Reader to view and handle PDFs.

You'll always need to configure your browser to download the PDFs and then opening them manually with Adobe Reader mobile app.

Not enforcing this workflow  will force the PDFs to be displayed in the  default web browser automatically.

You can see for yourself, if you were using the Adobe Document Cloud instead of Dropbox, the PDFs will openup in its native Acrobat Reader application (as long as the Reader app is set as the default PDF handler in your mobile device).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines