• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto brightness lock doesn’t work on my iPad Pro

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I’m having an issue with Reader on my iPad Pro. The screen goes dim no matter what. I correctly set the auto brightness lock but it doesn’t work. Is this a known issue on iOS 11? Can I do anything to solve the issue? Thanks.

[Discussion moved from Acrobat Reader to Acrobat Reader for iPhone and iPad by moderator.]

TOPICS
iOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long does the screen stay active? If the switch is on in the Acrobat settings panel, it should work like this:

• If a document is open in Acrobat, we set a timer for 10 minutes.
  • We reset the timer on every gesture or when another document is opened.
  • We don't sleep as long as that timer is running.

While testing this, we did just notice a bug. It may be that Acrobat has to be "killed" and re-opened after setting the preference (or the device restarted). We're adding that bug to our backlog.

We chose 10 minutes to be respectful of battery life and privacy/security. Is this not long enough to go without touching the screen? I can imagine cases where it might not be and we'd like to hear from you if that is the case. Additionally, if you are seeing something other than what I describe, please let me know.

View solution in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening only in Reader on your iPad or with other apps as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happened once with the VLC video player. I'm new to iOS so I have no idea if the issues are related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you have in your Display & Brightness settings? Does it go dim just before it goes into Auto-Lock?

IMG_4611.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same but with auto lock set to two minutes. Yes, it goes dim before it locks itself up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's normal iPad behavior and is not related to Adobe Acrobat Reader. Set the time to a higher number and it won't dim as quickly before it goes into sleep mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not very normal. I authorized Adobe Acrobat Reader to bypass the auto-lock in the settings and it still doesn't bypass it. What can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did as instructed at the bottom of this page: Acrobat Reader Help for iOS: Set Viewer options but it doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You found Adobe Acrobat in Settings and enabled Screen Brightness here?

IMG_4614.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, a couple days ago. It doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try asking on an Apple forum or take your iPad into a local Genius bar at an Apple Store.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t think it’s a hardware problem and my iPad Pro is brand new. At this point if nobody tells me how to make it work I really don’t know how to solve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I had something else to offer you. Maybe another volunteer will speak up.

But if you haven't asked at the Genius Bar or on an Apple forum yet, it's worth a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked the Genius Bar. They ran a diagnostic on my iPad, told me everything is fine and that they can’t do anything for a third party app. They told me it’s the app maker that has to solve the issue. I can at least tell you Acrobat Reader has this issue on an iPad Pro 10.5 on iOS 11.2 . I posted my problem on Reddit and I was upvoted so I don’t think I’m an isolated case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long does the screen stay active? If the switch is on in the Acrobat settings panel, it should work like this:

• If a document is open in Acrobat, we set a timer for 10 minutes.
  • We reset the timer on every gesture or when another document is opened.
  • We don't sleep as long as that timer is running.

While testing this, we did just notice a bug. It may be that Acrobat has to be "killed" and re-opened after setting the preference (or the device restarted). We're adding that bug to our backlog.

We chose 10 minutes to be respectful of battery life and privacy/security. Is this not long enough to go without touching the screen? I can imagine cases where it might not be and we'd like to hear from you if that is the case. Additionally, if you are seeing something other than what I describe, please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking at a sheet of music while studying it so 10 minutes would not enough for me. When I set the app to bypass the screen lock I thought it meant indefinitely (well, at least until I chose to close the app). It doesn't even seem to last ten minutes though. Running the latest version on the app store on an iPad Pro 10.5 with iOS 11.2 (latest version available to me).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Music was one of the cases I was imagining (along with cooking and crafting). What is a reasonable period of time for you?

Thanks for following up. If you have a chance to time it, I'd appreciate knowing if it is at least working as we expect it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If possible I'd like for it to be until I close the app, that is indefinitely. Tomorrow morning I have to study again and I'll time it and let you know. Thanks for listening. I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just tried and the screen stayed on 11 minutes and 40 seconds before starting to dim and turning itself off. Time really flies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. We will discuss extending the time. There are security and battery tradeoffs, but I can absolutely see the need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please look in extending the time. I am a public speaker that tried using adobe. The look of the page is great, and the highligh tool is the best that I’ve seen (I’ve tried a lot of pdf apps). But when I speak, and walk away from my iPad to engage the room, I come back to find my iPad locked.

I know now I can bypass it with the iPad settings, but then I have to change that every time before and after I speak. It makes more sense to be a setting in the app.

The GoodReader app has this function and it works great. But the trade off is that it is not as easy to look at as Adobe (And highlighting in the app is not as smooth as adobe).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fill out a feature request here:

Adobe Acrobat Reader - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please use the following form for Acrobat Reader for iPhone and iPad instead.

Adobe Acrobat for iPhone and iPad - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines