Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backing up iPad to desktop

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

Please could you update the iOS app to be able to backup folders that are layered with subfolders. I followed your tutorial on how to do it using iTunes but it would not copy the folders that had subfolders in them. The app itself doesn't even allow to upload folders onto a cloud account such as Dropbox. Please can you sort this out. I have been using this app for all my lectures for 2 years at university and really need to back up my information! Your help will be greatly appreciated,

TOPICS
iOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi garths11135488​,

Thank you for letting us know about what you found.

I also investigated the problem (of failing to back up folders containing files and subfolders) with Apple's iTunes (desktop app).

I used iTunes for Windows 15.2.4 on Windows 10 and iTunes for Mac 15.2.4 on macOS Sierra (10.12.2).  iTunes 15.2.4 is the latest version as of this writing (January 14, 2017).

Here are my findings.

Apple's iTunes for Windows has a defect where drag & dropping folders from the Adobe Acrobat Documents area in iTunes to any location (including Desktop) on a Windows computer does not copy the folders.  It fails silently and does not show an error dialog.  (I tried with an administrator account and "Standard user" account on Windows 10 and got the same result.)

Drag & dropping files still works with iTunes for Windows.

This is a defect in iTunes for Windows only.  iTunes for Mac does not have any problems with backing up folders by drag & drop.

A workaround for the iTunes for Windows problem is to select files and folders in the Adobe Acrobat Documents area and click the Save to... button (instead of drag & drop).

Since iTunes is an Apple product (not an Adobe product), we are unable to fix the defect at our end.  However, you can report the problem to Apple directly.

iTunes for Windows - Official Apple Support Communities

Feedback - iTunes - Apple

I also added a note to the FAQ document so that other Windows users will be warned.

How to back up and restore PDF documents on iPad/iPhone using iTunes

Thank you very much for sharing your backup experience!

View solution in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Would you please tell us the name of "the iOS app" that you are using?  Adobe offers a lot of iOS apps in the App Store.

Is it Acrobat Reader for iPhone and iPad?

Once it is clarified, I can move your question to the right forum for you.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, yes it is Acrobat Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi garths11135488​,

I think that you are referring to the following FAQ document that I wrote.

I understand that you are trying to transfer PDF documents from your iPad to a desktop computer.

Do you have a Mac or PC?  Do you have admin rights to the computer so that you can copy files to any location?  Where are you trying to copy folders (containing subfolders and documents) to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Correct, that is the document I followed. I am using my own personal

computer (HP) so I don't have admin restrictions. I tried copying it into

both my documents file as well as onto the desktop. I could copy individual

documents and folders with just documents in them but not the folders with

sub-folders. It just does nothing, not even an error report. I found the

same results with both the "add to" function as well as the drag and drop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to get hold of a friends Macbook and could backup all my files

off of it. I don't know why it wasn't working on my own PC. I'll just use

his in the future.

Thanks for your assistance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi garths11135488​,

Thank you for letting us know about what you found.

I also investigated the problem (of failing to back up folders containing files and subfolders) with Apple's iTunes (desktop app).

I used iTunes for Windows 15.2.4 on Windows 10 and iTunes for Mac 15.2.4 on macOS Sierra (10.12.2).  iTunes 15.2.4 is the latest version as of this writing (January 14, 2017).

Here are my findings.

Apple's iTunes for Windows has a defect where drag & dropping folders from the Adobe Acrobat Documents area in iTunes to any location (including Desktop) on a Windows computer does not copy the folders.  It fails silently and does not show an error dialog.  (I tried with an administrator account and "Standard user" account on Windows 10 and got the same result.)

Drag & dropping files still works with iTunes for Windows.

This is a defect in iTunes for Windows only.  iTunes for Mac does not have any problems with backing up folders by drag & drop.

A workaround for the iTunes for Windows problem is to select files and folders in the Adobe Acrobat Documents area and click the Save to... button (instead of drag & drop).

Since iTunes is an Apple product (not an Adobe product), we are unable to fix the defect at our end.  However, you can report the problem to Apple directly.

iTunes for Windows - Official Apple Support Communities

Feedback - iTunes - Apple

I also added a note to the FAQ document so that other Windows users will be warned.

Thank you very much for sharing your backup experience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much for your assistance with regards to this. I did message

Apple as well, however they did not reply to me, so I do really appreciate

your speedy response. I understand you can't sort it out from your side.

Apple unfortunately doesn't integrate many things very well with Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines