• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bookmarks

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Standard Edition on my PC.  It is an awesome tool, but I am confused because, even though it includes a veritable treasure trove of tools to use while reading PDF files, it does not allow me to bookmark pages in files that I am reading unless the file already has bookmarks.  And before you ask :=), yes, I do have the option to Restore last view settings when reopening documents selected in Preferences, as indicated in the only message post I could find about this.  When I searched the community forums for this topic, that was the only reply I found on bookmarking, and it has no effect on anything about bookmarks as far as I have seen, no Boomark tool or menu option has magically appeared.

But what confuses me most is that I am also using the great free Adobe Acrobat Reader app on my Samsung tablet, and it has a very simple and easy function to add/remove bookmarks, rename bookmarks etc. for every PDF I open in the app whether it has bookmartks or not (at least, AFAICT, for every file that has not been locked to be read-only or whatever).  So if I have a PDF file on my PC that I want to bookmark, I have to send it to my tablet via, say, Google Drive or Dropbox or some other cloud, open it in Adobe Reader, add one bookmark on a page somewhere, and then reload the revised version from the cloud back on my PC, whereupon the bookmark icon and functionality magically reveals itself in the left-hand page margin along with the page thumbnail function etc.

I have exhaustively searched the menus, settings, tabs, and all other links and functions in the PC version of the reader to find the bookmarking option with no success unless I am viewing a file that already contains bookmarks.  Can you please give me the secret password or the magical incantation that will allow me to add bookmarks to any PDF file, virgin or not, that I open in theAdobe DC Reader DC on my PC? Or do I need to keep playing this charade in order to enjoy my extensive library of PDF books, documents, and articles etc. ?  At present, the only way I can do this on my PC now is by using another PDF editor or reader, or to use my Acrobat Pro program to do the job, but that is kind of overkill for something like this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pete B

TOPICS
Android

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader for Android doesn't add bookmarks to the PDF file. It uses a feature of Android.

View solution in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader can't add bookmarks. Use Adobe Acrobat Standard or Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it certainly can do bookmarks, IF there are already bookmarks in the file, as I stated.  You just cannot initiate the bookmarks if none are alreadt in the file, as I said.  What I seek is a way to add th FIRST bookmark to the file, which you can do with the Adobe Acrobat app very easily.  If this is not possible, why not?  Why can I do it with the free mobile app but not with the free desktop DC version?

And are you referring to the Adobe Acrobat editor software, or are you referring to the Adobe Acrobat Pro Reader DC edition, which indicates that it can do bookmarks in the user manual?

Pete B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe offers following products:

Acrobat Reader DC

Adobe Acrobat DC Pro

Adobe Acrobat DC Standard

There doesn't exists a product with the name Adobe Acrobat Pro Reader DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Nevertheless, the AA Standard Ed. is a paid purchase, it does do bookmarks, whereas the Adobe DC reader for mobile does bookmarks, but does noyt charge anything.  So I guess I will just have to continue the charade I mentioned in order to bookmark pages in PDF fiies.  I already have AA Pro, so I could get used to using that.  However, I also have several other PDF editor programs that do the same, such as FoxitPhantomPro and PDFFill, so I can also use one of them.

I just think it is rather inexplicable why Adobe provides free bookmarking in the AA mobile app, but expects somebody to pay $300 for AA Pro DC if they want to do the same on a desktop PC via AA Pro.

Anyway, thanks

Pete B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader for Android doesn't add bookmarks to the PDF file. It uses a feature of Android.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, OK, that explains it...  but it amounts to the same thing.  Guess I should be grateful for that added attraction in my tablet!

Thanks!  And don't get me wrong, I think AA Reader DC is the best reader there is, I love it!

Pete B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bernd Alheit 

I m facing the bookmark hierarchy mismatching issue... can u please support on this to sort out 

Note:- I m having paid acrobat reader  & DC pro account 

Kindly tell what could be cause of this error and give me the solution as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Nithya30375401w9kl,

Hope you are doing well. Thank you for writing in! 

Please let us know if you experience any issues with the mobile version of Acrobat Reader or if it is specific to the desktop version.

This will enable me or our experts to provide the best assistance or move the thread to the appropriate board for better visibility.

Look forward to hearing from you.

-Souvik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines