• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I search in file names only? (Adobe Acrobat Mobile App on iOS device)

Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I posted this question before in the wrong community, sorry for duplicating.

I have the latest Adobe Acrobat Mobile App on my iPad, version 20.05.01 (20200528.195731) updated just last night. Is there a way I can search in file names only? If I now search for any term (using the small magnifying glass icon at the bottom right corner when no pdf file is open, labeled "search") I get results that include that term not just the file names, but also anywhere inside the documents, which is not what I want. I end up getting many more results that I need and would be very hard to sift through.

I will try to attach a screenshot with example: I search for the term "dunn", which is an author name and part of file name of some of my files, but I get all files with "dunn" anywhere inside them, and only a couple with "dunn" in the file name, which are the ones I am actually looking for. The results as such can be tens of files sometimes and very hard to sift through.

Many Thanks for any help!

TOPICS
iOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mokdadali,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your query. 

Currently, the search option in the app allows you to search for the file name and related words/content in the file as well. 

Please use this link to open a feature request with our product team: https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/914680-acrobat-reader-for-ios 

Regards,
Tariq

View solution in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, How can I search in filenames only in my Acrobat IOS app (which contains my cloud documents)? All my filenames contain the author and year of publication and a short description of the topic of the document, so searching through that basic information makes it very easy and quick for me to find what I need. I used to be able to do that on a previous version, but a year or so ago Adobe updated the app and now every time I search for a term I get all the documents that contain it anywhere, in filenames as well as the body of the document, giving me many more results that are very hard to sift through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, no one knows how to search in file names only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My iOS Acrobat Reader mobile app I am asking about got the latest update yesterday to version 20.05.01 (20200528.195731) and still has the same issue: you cannot search in only file names, unless I am missing something. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mokdadali,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your query. 

Currently, the search option in the app allows you to search for the file name and related words/content in the file as well. 

Please use this link to open a feature request with our product team: https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/914680-acrobat-reader-for-ios 

Regards,
Tariq

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tariq for the answer. I did submit a feature request, hopefully others with the same need also will ask for it so that it gets "prioritized".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

While waiting for Adobe to make a product enhancement allowing to "choose where to search", here is a very simple (and obvious) partial workaround that may help:

If you want to search for a term that occurs at the beginning of your filename (like if you always start your file names with the author name), then simply sort your files by name (and not by date), and you will be able to jump to any letter and find what you want quickly.

The problem persists of course if you want to search for a term anywhere else in the filename, which is still a very common need. Adobe, please make this enhancement on the search functionality on iPads to allow users to search only in file names. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines