• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Google Drive: Could not open ‘xxx’ due to an unknown error.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same issue occurs for Google Drive now (integrated support in Acrobat Reader).

Acrobat 18.10.02

iPad Mini 2 (ME280LL/A)

iOS 12.1

Also on,

Acrobat 18.10.02

iPhone 7+ (MNR12LL/A)

iOS 12.1

TOPICS
iOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sesDesign​, katieh89681113​,

We just released Acrobat Reader 18.12.00 to the App Store.

This release includes the fix for the Google Drive problem that you've experienced.

Would you please update to 18.12.00 and let us know if it works for you.

Thank you for your help!

View solution in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi sesdeisgn,

Are you using Google Drive version 4.2018.42202? If not, would you please update it and try again to see if it works?

Thank you for your patience,

-derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I am using G Drive 4.2018.42202

It seems the problem is with editing a file directly inside the app. I can open a fresh PDF file in Acrobat, however if I make any comments (underline, highlight, etc) then I won't be able to open it again on any iOS devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update and some info that might help:

I've updated G. Drive to 4.2018.44203 and A. Acrobat to 18.11.00 and I still get the same error.

Also, when I try to duplicate a file (that I can not open inside the reader) I get this error:

The Operation Can't Be Completed

Couldn't communicate with a helper application.

I can open and edit the PDF in GDrive with no errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sesDesign​,

Sorry for the problem you have encountered. 

I have the same versions of Google Drive and Acrobat Reader on iOS 12.1 but could not reproduce the problem.

Would you please force close both apps and launch them again?

If it does not work, we would like to collect more information from you so that we can investigate further.

Would you please record the screen on your iPhone/iPad and share with us (Adobe)?

How to record the screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Please note that the Adobe user forums do not accept file attachments to forum notification emails.  But you can share a screen recording via Adobe Document Cloud

How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud

or any other cloud storage of your choice and post a shared link in a forum message.

If you would like to share a screen recording privately (without posting to the public user forum), please submit the following bug report.

Adobe Acrobat for iPhone and iPad - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

We will get back to you via your email address.

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Try it with THIS PDF.

- Also here is the screen recording:

Acrobat_Error_2.MP4 - Google Drive

- If I open this file on Acrobat Pro. on desktop and make another highlight and save it. It will open again on the iPhone.

- I sent another screen recording with a different PDF via the bug report as well.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sesDesign​,

Thank you so much for your sample file and screen recording!

We were able to reproduce the problem at our end as well.  The problem appears to be unique to Acrobat and Google Drive. It doesn't happen with other cloud storage, such as iCloud Drive or OneDrive via Files > Locations > More Locations in Acrobat.

We will investigate further and try to fix it as soon as possible.

Thank you again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sesDesign​, katieh89681113​,

We just released Acrobat Reader 18.12.00 to the App Store.

This release includes the fix for the Google Drive problem that you've experienced.

Would you please update to 18.12.00 and let us know if it works for you.

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can confirm that this update resolved the issue.

However, any PDF edited with the previous version is now corrupted. My workaround was to download them, open them in Acrobat Reader, make an edit (highlight, etc) save it and upload it again. Ironically, this only worked if I downloaded them directly from G. Drive and not via Google Backup and Sync folder on my Mac.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im getting the exact same problem as sesDesign​ and it is consistently happening on multiple files that i am trying to open from Google Drive, then comment on, then save. Im trying to grade student designs and once i save it, all the work is inaccessible. Super disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek! I'm having exactly the same problem. Any updates on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines