• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Night mode is gone!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the last update this was removed. I will switch back to the previous version. Using ios 12 in the ipad pro 10.5

TOPICS
iOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi buaa2000​,

If you would like true "Dark Mode" (where everything appears in dark color) , you can enable iOS Smart Invert (system-wide setting) as described in the second part of the following document.

How to enable Night Mode in Adobe Acrobat Reader for iPhone and iPad

You can customize Accessibility Shortcut(s) for quick access to iOS Smart Invert.

Please see the last screenshot at the bottom of the document.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even I have updated and it was gone. How do we go to earlier version? Any reason why this feature was removed? It was very cool feature for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only possible to return to a previous version if you used iTunes and saved the .IPA file from your purchased account list, when that version was available. In other words once a new version is released this is no longer an option. You'll also need to use the iTunes version that allows this, which currently is 12.6.5.3, released in September 12, 2018 (18 days ago). All other iTunes versions don't offer this feature, since they removed the App Store from it.

This iTunes version that saves IPAs is identified as:

Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes

Apple offers Volume Purchase Programs and Apple Configurator on Mac to help enterprise environments manage and mass-deploy apps on iOS devices. But certain business partners might still need to use iTunes to install apps.

You would need to have downloaded the previous version when it was there to do this. I did with the IPA from 18.07.30 (Jul 24, 2018). The version of Adobe Acrobat Reader for iOS that has the dark mode removed is the 18.09.13 released in October 1st, 2018.

Once you have the IPA you will need to go to "Apps" (I do this in iTunes, in my PC, while the iPAD is connected to it by the lightning cable), drag and drop there the file. And click on "Install". After that sync the device. It will create a backup (you can skip this), and after that iTunes will copy the app to it.

I removed the current Adobe Acrobat Reader version and installed the previous one. Of course once you do this you'll need to ignore the Apple Store warning in your device there's a new available. I suggest disabling automatic updates (iOS internal settings).

I hope Adobe reverts this decision, since dark (or night) mode in this app was the best among ALL ebook readers. It was even possible to apply to ebooks that only had images, not pure text.

Why remove such good feature?

If you want reasons to keep it, I'll give you below:

Most websites impose a white background that is detrimental to everyone's eyes.

If you are reading on a screen that has a white background, which gives off the maximum amount of display light, then consider switching from Black text on a White background to White text on a Black background. That will reduce the amount of light from the display considerably, by a factor of 10 to 1 or more. This is by far the single most important recommendation for reading on a display at night.

By keeping the Brightness of the text nice and low it should actually be easier on the eyes. That is breaking with the traditional reading on paper analogy, but since displays produce their own light it’s time to consider using them in this way with a black background at night.

All manufacturers should make it easy to switch in and out of these two background modes, which should be implemented as an OS service for all applications that want to display text. This is something that is almost never provided and should be a standard option for all display products. And as an added plus, using a Black background also improves screen readability in high ambient light (and significantly reduces power consumption for OLED displays).

Taking this step you'll reduce the amount of light (including Blue light) produced by the display by a factor of 40 to 1 or more.

Apple and Android devices have a built-in way for switching from Black text on a White background to White text on a Black background is by using a menu option called Invert Colors or Negative Colors (under Accessibility in Settings). However, that makes the screen look scary with picture content. In other words, it s.ucks and no one uses it.

There's a good reason to want dark mode: reducing brightness can also reduce blue light.

To improve existing displays for watching at night so that they don’t adversely affect sleep requires not only significantly reducing the display Brightness, which is easy, but then making sure that the least possible amount of Blue light in the 460-490nm spectral range is being emitted by the display or is blocked in some other way (I also mean using Night Shift).

White backgrounds give off the maximum amount of display light. So turn down the display Brightness considerably. Most displays now come set for 400 nits or more. For watching displays at night 100 nits or even less is all that we need at night. That will lower the amount of light (including Blue light) by a factor of 4 or more. We don’t need an instrument to measure it, so just lower the brightness as much as is comfortable.

Less than 50% is what I use here, perhaps as low as 25-30. (for certain videos/movies I increase the brightness up to 40%. Then after that I decrease)

For iOS the only browser that has true dark mode at this moment is Firefox. Safari (the default) doesn't have this feature.

Honestly I am tired of all the apps and websites that use a white background, even Adobe Acrobat Reader was guilty of that, while it offered this feature for all ebooks (even those with images and not pure text) the app itself has a white background that is annoying, and I can't change that. I use a 100% black wallpaper in all my devices, too, as for brightness in my old LCD W2452V (used with my PC) I reduced a lot.

I remember back in the 1990's or 2000's most people used 60 Hz for refresh rate (CRTs), and this was not recommended (75 or more were better), since it caused eye strain, too, still many didn't bother adjusting this setting, and it was already available (75 Hz) in ALL monitors. Most of these devices don't offer anything similar to a dark background or one that is grey/darker, if you think about this you'll see that "accessibility" is never a concern for most developers.

Apple for example is now offering a feature called "Screen Time", but the real concern should be in how good the screen can be (despite you using a lot less) in terms of comfort...

Search for "antireflective coating matter"?

Newer devices and improved technology can deliver that, and this is good for our health, in the end. An app that has 100% white background everywhere is something I now will tend to avoid, iOS EMAIL, PODCASTS and other features (that come with the OS) are all this way, it's a shame Apple hasn't implemented dark mode yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too.

Was just now laying in bed about to delve into a manual I’ve saved and I’m hit with this; night reading mode gone!

Why, what were you thinking?!

Instead, Adobe, points out to iOS light dimming and color invert features!

NO!

I want to be able to do this in the app and not affect everything else I’m doing on the iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Less brightness helps, of course, plus bias lighting in your room. I always use 30% as brightness in my iPAD, and only raise to 40 when I need to watch certain videos (movies). Otherwise leave it at 1/3 (one third). 50% is already too much.

But that won't solve the problem of white background, it's a workaround at best. I already explained why in the previous post. Here's another post explaining why the device we use must be new (a few years old) to benefit us (this isn't related to our discussion, but I think it should be explained here):

The screens on all displays are mirrors that reflect light from everything that is illuminated anywhere in front of the screen (especially anything behind the viewers), including lamps, ceiling lights, windows, direct and indirect indoor and outdoor sunlight, which washes out the on-screen colors, degrades image contrast, and interferes with seeing the on-screen images.

The lower the screen reflectance the better. In fact, decreasing the screen reflectance by 50 percent doubles the effective contrast ratio in ambient light, so it is very important.

To visually compare the differences in screen reflectance for yourself, hold any tablet or smartphone side-by-side and turn off the displays so you just see the reflections. Those reflections are still there when you turn them on, and the brighter the ambient light the brighter the reflections.

Newer Apple devices from a few years ago all have a very innovative low reflectance screen that reflects just 1-2 percent of the ambient light by using a new anti-reflection (AR) coating. (and this is why I advise against using a screen protector).

They have by far the lowest screen reflectance when compared to any mobile display, so the image colors and contrast in high ambient light will appear considerably better than on any other. It's a major enhancement that reduces the reflected light glare from the screen by a very impressive factor of 3 to 1 compared to most tablets and smartphones.

In terms of screen visibility under bright ambient light as a result of a very low reflectance the newer the devices you have, the better.

And Color invert is a feature that everyone says it's c.rap, it's widely know it doesn't solve anything. That's why no one uses in iOS. I am a big supporter of dark mode and have been using for years in ALL my devices and apps, and don't use Smart Invert. Forget about it.

Unless Adobe reintroduce NIGHT MODE in Adobe Acrobat Reader for iOS I'll never update again. I knew I had to backup the most important apps, this sort of thing could happen with any of them.

It's a shame that you decided to remove a very useful feature. I hope in the next update(s) it's back there again. This is (was) the best app for night mode, not even similar ebook readers have/had an improved dark mode feature like yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There’s an easy workaround. On your iOS device, tap the Settings icon and choose General – > Accessibility – > Triple-click Home and and set it to “Toggle White on Black.”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We just released Acrobat Reader 18.10.01 to the App Store.

This release brought back Night Mode to Acrobat.

How to enable Night Mode in Acrobat Reader

Acrobat Night Mode works with iOS Smart Invert as well.

We'd appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a great move to bring the night mode feature back. However it's only available in viewing documents, not in other views, like navigating to choose files.

I have to say that the night mode feature nowadays is a necessity for everything where it's applicable. This should never be removed for whatever reason unless we all switch to e-ink someday! Even then, it will be a good feature to have as I believe some people may need it.

Adobe, don't do this again, in mobile apps, desktop applications, or wherever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Buaa,

We do appreciate your feedback on this.

I would request you to share your suggestion/ feedback about this feature with the team over here Adobe Acrobat for iPhone and iPad - Feature Request/Bug Report Form.

Let us know if you have any questions or need any help.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi buaa2000​,

If you would like true "Dark Mode" (where everything appears in dark color) , you can enable iOS Smart Invert (system-wide setting) as described in the second part of the following document.

How to enable Night Mode in Adobe Acrobat Reader for iPhone and iPad

You can customize Accessibility Shortcut(s) for quick access to iOS Smart Invert.

Please see the last screenshot at the bottom of the document.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your note. However as someone has pointed out earlier, the invert color feature of iOS doesn't help much. In many scenarios with images, it creates a bizarre view. App-dependent night mode can optimize for fewer scenarios and can work much better. Just keep the feature and don't remove it any more.

A side note: there should an international standard or things like that to assess and certify a product or software that supports night mode at various levels. Unfortunately nobody has done anything about this yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines