• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Password

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm being asked for a password to open a document that I don't remember setting a password for. How do I recover a password?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you received the PDF file from someone else, ask them for the password they set for it.

If you created the PDF file yourself and either intentionally password protected the PDF file or unintentionally password protected the PDF file and have forgotten the password, you are out of luck. There is no “back door” to bypass this protection nor does Adobe secretly maintain copies of passwords you use on PDF files. Otherwise the PDF password protection really wouldn't be protection.

Sorry, but you might be out of luck on this!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

View solution in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you received the PDF file from someone else, ask them for the password they set for it.

If you created the PDF file yourself and either intentionally password protected the PDF file or unintentionally password protected the PDF file and have forgotten the password, you are out of luck. There is no “back door” to bypass this protection nor does Adobe secretly maintain copies of passwords you use on PDF files. Otherwise the PDF password protection really wouldn't be protection.

Sorry, but you might be out of luck on this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That can not be true. the passwords HAVE to be stored somewhere-somehow on your system or in you account. otherwise How can the program check the password you have entered against the actual password?  it needs that actual password that was orginally created and stored somewhere to check against to verify.

SO in what kind of file the Adobe cloud store the passwords in my account or on my computer?

and where? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It certainly IS true!

Passwords don't necessarily work the way you think they do. In the case of PDF files, the password itself is the key to decrypting the PDF file. It doesn't depend on a password being stored someplace else to compare against. That is much more secure than storing the password someplace else and comparing against same. Likewise, it allows you to send a password-protected PDF file to others on different computers and for them to be able to open the PDF file (assuming they know the password independently) without needing to be on-line to somehow compare against a password stored someplace else!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So then how does the file or the system know you entered the correct PW if it has nothing to compare it to? 

Somewhere it has to have the PW stored so it can comapre what you entered to the correct PW. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PIN of your ATM card is also nowhere saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and what does my Debit card have anything to do with this? and why would i be entering the PIN of my Debit card on my computer for anything?

this comment is totally unreleated and honestly, stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is similar to the password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines