Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Password rejection on iOS

Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I'm trying to open a password protected PDF file on my iPad. The problem is the password keeps getting rejected even though I am entering the password correctly. I know I am entering the password correctly, because I use the same password to successfully open the same PDF file on my Windows 10 version of Reader.

I'm not sure if this is a bug with reader for iOS or something similar. I have not seen this issue raised, just wanted to ask if anyone else has seen this behavior before with reader and if there any possible work-arounds or solutions.

TOPICS
iOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Acrobat Reader for iPhone and iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi HybridV,

There should not be any problem in opening the PDF if you know the password.

Could you please confirm if you get an error message when you try to open the PDF?

If yes, please share the exact message you get.

Also, check if the PDF is not an XFA document.

Do you experience this issue with this particular document?

Did you check if you can open other password protected PDF without any issues?

We will be waiting for your response.

Update the thread if the issue is already resolved.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2019 Feb 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help.

As far as I can tell this and a second passworded PDF document are the only ones with the issue. Although I don't have other passworded PDFs to check to make sure. I've already downloaded a new copy of each, just in case there was some issue with corruption, but that has not resolved the issue.

I use the same PDFs on my Windows machine with no problems using the provided password given to me. It also works fine on my Mac Book Pro running El Capitan.

For some reason only my iOS iPad version of Reader rejects the password. I enter the password, then the password dialogue pops up again. This happens about three times, after the third time it reports a "Password not valid" error.

Again I am using the correct password since it opens just fine on other devices. I have a sneaking suspicion that perhaps it's has something to do with how Reader is receiving text syntax, as this password does use spaces. But this is beyond my field of expertise and is just an educated guess.

I've also double checked and yes, they are indeed both PDF documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the information.

Would you please check if you experience a similar issue on alternate devices?

Try to check on alternate iOS device or Android device.

We have tried to replicate the behavior with the password with the spaces. The files open without any issues.

Would it be possible to share the file with us? You can share the file with us in a private message. How Do I Send Private Message

As there is no option to attach the file, you can use the steps provided here How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent over the PDF.

I just noticed the PDF fails to open when using Adobe Document Cloud. It also gives an error message that the password is incorrect.

I just tested this again on my Windows machine and it works fine, accepts the password and everything. I'll download reader on my Android phone and give it another go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same issue. Especially with pdfs shared via email or whatsapp.

I send some pictures of a recent issue that is especially curious and annoying.

I believe this to be a problem of compatibility between apple, microsoft, facebook and google.

PDF and especially Adobe is great because it is supposed to bridge all compatibility.

I hope this continues to be so.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.26.08.pngScreenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.26.30.pngScreenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.26.35.pngScreenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.27.40.pngScreenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.27.45.pngScreenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.26.15.pngScreenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.26.55.pngScreenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.27.18.pngScreenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.27.28.png

The receiver couldn't open either, using Adobe Acrobat on a PC using Windows.

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines