• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the URL protocol used by Acrobat Reader in iOS?

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Maybe this is a rather special request but I hope someone can help with this.

I'm setting up a Microsoft Intune App Protection policy for iOS devices. With this policy, I want to limit the way a Microsoft Business app can share data with other (unmanaged) apps. Sharing is limited to policy managed apps. Unfortunately I would like to enable my users, to also open PDF files in Adobe Acrobat Reader for iOS. As I'm unable to add Acrobat Reader as managed app, I'd like to exempt it from the rule described above.

To do so, Microsoft states the following in its documentation:

For a policy targeting iOS/iPadOS, you can configure data transfer exceptions by URL protocol. To add an exception, check the documentation provided by the developer of the app to find information about supported URL protocols. 

Unfortunately I could not find any hint on what the URL protocol used by the Acrobat reader app is.

Hope someone can help me in this case.

Best regards,

David

TOPICS
iOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated by the Microsoft guidance you're referencing to, " check the documentation provided by the developer of the app"

The developer of the free Acrobat Reader mobile app for iOS devices is Apple in this case. You should also check with their developer documentation.

It's funny though how they washed their hands on this. It shouldn't be a big deal or big secret since you can open a terminal and run a netstat -an | less  or  ps –e while the mobile app is up and running. Spot what are the listening state ports and  the remote established connections with their respective URL protocol(s).

You can also do this using a packet sniffer , like Wireshark, or even runnuning TOP or NTOP from tyour command terminal. Or, if you're a GUI type of power user use a port scanning graphical utility and see what else you can find. Take notes and use that information to configure your Microsoft Intune App Protection policy for iOS devices.

Most easiest way also , just review the logs of your firewall router when you try connect the app.

I know this may not be the answer that you're looking for but, let's say that if you're in a time constraint, and no one else post something here in this thread to answer your question , that's how I would do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi David,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your query.

Just wondering, is it not possible to add the app as managed. We Certify our apps to be run as managed in InTune environment? Is there any challenge?

Regards,
Tariq.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines