Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is my Ipad Adobe Reader kept saying that my doc is read only version

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello everyone,

I use my Ipad to read and edit documents. Recently, I updated the software to the latest version IOS version.

The problem is that ever time I use the reader, the app will prompt me by saying that the document was a “read only“ version and requires me to create a local copy. What’s worse is that after creating a local copy, the same problem arises after awhile

All these problems doesn’t exist before the update and I am Sure that the documents are not “read only version”. Appreciate any help here!

TOPICS
iOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jasondash​, domenb73821963​, trieste2​, cayleyc66155824​, bronsonc49638062​,

We just released Acrobat Reader 18.01.22 to the App Store.

This is the latest official release as of January 23.  Some of you have already installed the pre-release version that is identical to the one in the App Store.

Please give it a try and let us know if it works for you.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jasondash​,

You have encountered a defect in Acrobat Reader 18.01.15.

Acrobat Reader displays the "Read-Only Document" alert and fails to save pending changes when you

• switch to other apps
  • let your iPad/iPhone go to sleep

A short-term workaround for the problem is to tap the < (Back) button to close your PDF document to save changes before switching to other apps or letting your iPad/iPhone go to sleep.

We are actively working on a fix and trying to release a new update to the App Store as soon as possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I use the Back and re-open the file, but its annonying. Hope its fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jasondash, domenb73821963,

We believe that we fixed the problem that you've experienced.

I sent forum private messages to both of you to see if you are interested in evaluating the pre-release version of Acrobat Reader that contains the fix.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced the same annoying issue & I need this to be addressed, whether it’s via this pre-release, or another way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi trieste2​,

I sent a forum private message to you as well.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jason.

I have all my knitting patterns in acrobat .

I bought an iPad 12.9 pro and the 2nd generation Apple Pencil so I could mark the size and mark where I am. It won't let me write on it, my patterns have also saved as read only. What can I do as they have cost me over £1000 but I can't do what I wonted them for.

lorraine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m having this same problem, and need a fix ASAP to keep my business running smoothly.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cayleyc66155824​,

Please check the forum private message from me.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. I will be in the middle of editing with the app for legal proceedings and my drawings and text boxes will vanish. I have to be able to toggle between iPad apps as I go without stopping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jasondash​, domenb73821963​, trieste2​, cayleyc66155824​, bronsonc49638062​,

We just released Acrobat Reader 18.01.22 to the App Store.

This is the latest official release as of January 23.  Some of you have already installed the pre-release version that is identical to the one in the App Store.

Please give it a try and let us know if it works for you.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is now happening to me. I have been using this feature without issue for a long time and need to be able to edit these files. Please help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @erirocks 

Sorry for the delayed response. If you are still facing the issue, could you please share a few more details to understand it better?

1. Is it with a particular PDF or with all PDFs?

2. If possible, could you share the files with us?

3. Make sure the file is not having any editing restrictions on it.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Harsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm running the newest version of Adobe Acrobat on my iPad Pro and still getting that my PDFs are Read-Only with no option in preferences, the home menu, or the drop down menus for individual files to change it to something editable/able to be marked up. 
How do I simply mark-up a pdf on my iPad? A third party app? This feels like a very simple function and yet I can't find where to adjust this anywhere. Do I need to change the thing to a jpg and mark it up THAT way?

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jj0101 

If the files are showing read-only that means they are made that way, to restrict editing. There is currently no feature to make them editable, however, you can check if there is password protection on it then you can remove it from the Acrobat DC desktop app. 

https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/how-to/unlock-pdf.html

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still struggle with the same problem in 2022... Can anyone help? I am logged in on my macbook as well as on my ipad. The password secured PDF I want to edit synchs from Macbook alle comments to my ipad but doesn't allow any changes from my ipad. 

Cheers, Lena 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Lena2339173977bj 

It is a limitation on the Acrobat Reader mobile application, you cannot edit a password-protected PDF.

Here is help document you can refer to:

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobat/ios/en/protect.html

Thanks,

Harsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harsh

So if a PDF is password encrypted, but set to allow commenting and highlighting are you saying that you still cannot add comments or highlights to the PDF when viewing on an iPad or iPhone? Our PDFs use these settings and we are able to add comments and highlights on the desktop version of Acrobat, but not the mobile version.

Is the only solution to not password encrypt our PDFs? Obviously, we don't want to do that.

Thanks

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the issue on my iPad - all PDFs are 'read-only' and there are no options in settings to remedy this that I can find?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And also, these files ARE NOT read only on my Macbook sooooo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ivan24648967xaki 

Hope you are doing well.
As per the issue description that the app shows the PDFs as read only. Would you mind sharing one of the PDFs to test on our end?

Thanks,

Harsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to add comment on my iPAD on few documents using Acrobat Reader 22.04.00 (e.g with the following security settings) the same document can be commented on the PC based Acrobat Reader

GiuseppeAchi2471500859x6_0-1654242654627.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Harsh! I have an incoming employee that is running into the same issue with the hiring paperwork I've sent her. I've attached one of the documents for your perusal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Natalie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Natalie25778929vl2h,

Thank you for sharing the file. I will check on with the file at my end and reply back with the findings at the earliest.

Reagrds,

Souvik.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Natalie25778929vl2h,

The reason you experience the issue is because of the way the form was created.

Files created using LiveCycle Design can cause problems when trying to fill them using the mobile version due to the architecture of their creation.

SS_0-1661811820473.png

Here is the screenshot for your better understanding.

I have converted the file to an editable format. Please check and let me know if this works. You can use the given link to download the file and work: https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:d66417e3-b63d-31e2-9a3f-35480c657a9a

Thanks,

Souvik.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines