Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has Adobe got word count?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Adobe Acrobat Reader mobile app doesn't have word count and neither does Acrobat Reader DC.

However, check out my work around and see if it helps:

• with Acrobat Pro DC you can create a single blank PDF page, and place a button with a javascript action to perform a word count. 

• Download the PDF with the button script to your mobile device via USB cable.

• And all you have to do is open Acrobat Reader Mobile and merge or combine this PDF with whatever document you want to perform the word count with

See slides below.

With your main document opened select combine files and add the PDF with the button script that I've shared in this link:  

Screenshot_20200125-074528.jpg

Select Combine to merge both PDFs.

Screenshot_20200125-074621.jpg

• When you open your combined PDF file click on the action script button to get the wordcount of your merged PDF document. 

Below, selecting Organize Pages tool to see the final result of the merged documents :

• Screenshot_20200125-074656.jpg

NOTE: Be advised that the wordcount script might not be entirely accurate since the total word count seems to vary from app to app. For example, in Adobe Reader DC the script counts text objects that are blank as words, and then it includes in the total count  all of these object fields with  the real count of text words found throughout the PDF.

Curiously enough, in a third-party appp like Foxit,  it is able to count the exact words that are in the PDF.

For some reason I haven't been able to have the script  to work in Adobe Reader mobile app, but the Adobe Reader app does allow me to merge two or more documents with the PDF that has the script.

On the other hand, the third party mobile app doesn't provides me with a merging capability (that I know of) but the script executed and worked fine in this third party app after it was merged with the Adobe Adobe Reader mobile app.

Here is the script originally posted by Dave Merchant: 

var cnt=0;

for (var p = 0; p < this.numPages; p++) cnt += getPageNumWords(p);

app.alert("There are " + cnt + " words in this file.");

And here is the referenced thread where the script was originally shared: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader/word-count/td-p/4595208

See slide below using third party app:

20200125_131759.jpg

View solution in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Adobe Acrobat Reader mobile app doesn't have word count and neither does Acrobat Reader DC.

However, check out my work around and see if it helps:

• with Acrobat Pro DC you can create a single blank PDF page, and place a button with a javascript action to perform a word count. 

• Download the PDF with the button script to your mobile device via USB cable.

• And all you have to do is open Acrobat Reader Mobile and merge or combine this PDF with whatever document you want to perform the word count with

See slides below.

With your main document opened select combine files and add the PDF with the button script that I've shared in this link:  

Screenshot_20200125-074528.jpg

Select Combine to merge both PDFs.

Screenshot_20200125-074621.jpg

• When you open your combined PDF file click on the action script button to get the wordcount of your merged PDF document. 

Below, selecting Organize Pages tool to see the final result of the merged documents :

• Screenshot_20200125-074656.jpg

NOTE: Be advised that the wordcount script might not be entirely accurate since the total word count seems to vary from app to app. For example, in Adobe Reader DC the script counts text objects that are blank as words, and then it includes in the total count  all of these object fields with  the real count of text words found throughout the PDF.

Curiously enough, in a third-party appp like Foxit,  it is able to count the exact words that are in the PDF.

For some reason I haven't been able to have the script  to work in Adobe Reader mobile app, but the Adobe Reader app does allow me to merge two or more documents with the PDF that has the script.

On the other hand, the third party mobile app doesn't provides me with a merging capability (that I know of) but the script executed and worked fine in this third party app after it was merged with the Adobe Adobe Reader mobile app.

Here is the script originally posted by Dave Merchant: 

var cnt=0;

for (var p = 0; p < this.numPages; p++) cnt += getPageNumWords(p);

app.alert("There are " + cnt + " words in this file.");

And here is the referenced thread where the script was originally shared: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader/word-count/td-p/4595208

See slide below using third party app:

20200125_131759.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is a link to my shared file:

Word Count action script button 

All credits to whoever did the javascript for the wordcount.

My only contribution here is the merging part using Adobe Acrobat Reader Mobile app.

Just remember, once you merge the PDF to your main document it wont execute with Adobe Reader mobile app, but it does work with third-party mobile PDF viewers.

Maybe you or someone else can contribute and see why it doesn't execute in the Adobe Reader mobile app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines