• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2018 IRS Forms--Can't save data

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been filling out IRS PDFs and saving the form data for YEARS.  Now, with the 2018 IRS Forms, I'm getting the "You cannot save data typed into this form" error.

I've tried this on both WIn 10 & Win 7, downloading the pdf file through every browser I have (Chrome, FireFox, IE, Edge)

What gives?  What am I doing wrong?  Did the IRS mess up their forms this year?  I can still open the 2017 forms, but the security properties look different on them.  The 2018 files say Filling of Form Fields is allowed, but Page Extractions, Commenting, Signing, Creation of Template Pages, and Document Assembly is not allowed.

Here is the link to a form I'm having issues with:https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1065.pdf

I tried downloading the trial of Adobe Acrobat DC to edit the PDF, but the Adobe download servers keep failing 1/4 of the way through the download.  I may try again later tonight.

In the meantime, any idea here?  Am I doing something wrong, or is the only answer to download Adobe DC and edit the PDFs myself?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered this many, many  times with various government forms.   The olny thing that works for me is downloading the document and opening it directly inside full scale Acrobat DC.  

I just tested it with the form in your link which is a READ ONLY file when viewed from my browser's API.  But  after downloading and lanching it in Acrobat DC, the fields are indeed fillable and the document can be saved if you rename it.

This time of year, I guess the Acrobat servers are getting a lot of traffic.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The IRS doesn't add the reader extension to the form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with IRS forms.  "you cannot save data typed into this file''.  How can I file my taxes if the forms won't save?  In addition, some work, some don't.  What can I do to have reliable tax forms that I can fill out and save on my own computer?

And this is now 2024 and it doen's seem that anyone has done anything about this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paid Acrobat saves PDF files.

FREE Acrobat Reader -- view, comment & sign PDF.
https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/pdf-reader.html

Paid Acrobat Pro DC -- the complete solution for creating and saving PDF.
https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/acrobat-pro.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not need Paid Acrobat to save data filled into a form.  Acrobat Reader will do this.

I am able to fill in and save IRS Form 1041 (downloaded f1041.pdf); however, I am unable to save filled in information in Form 1041 Schedule D (downloaded f1041sd.pdf).  In the past, I've been able to use Acrobat Reader to fill in and save all IRS forms I needed.

Examining the Security properties, it appears that the difference between the forms I am able to save and the ones I am not able to save is that the ones I am not able to save have "Signing" set to "Not Allowed" and the ones I am not able to save are set have "Signing" set to "Allowed."  In previous years, f1041sd.pdf had "Signing" set to "Allowed" and now it does not.  All forms, including the ones that cannot be saved, have "Filling of form fields" set to "Allowed."

1)  Is this a bug in Acrobat Reader?  The form does not have any signing features and I see no reason the "Signing" feature should have anything to do with whether you can save filled in data.  There are no electronic signatures in the document.

2)  Is there a way around this without buying a paid copy of Acrobat?  I tried printing to a PDF using Microsoft Print to PDF but I lost the form fields.

I am using Acrobat Reader 2023.008.20533.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CORRECTION:  the ones I am able to save are set have "Signing" set to "Allowed."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote1)  Is this a bug in Acrobat Reader? 
By @D36138506je5d

=========

No.  That's how the IRS creates the forms. 😝

Can you print your PDF to a file?  See Screenshot.

image.png

Since I switched to TurboTax, I no longer mess around with IRS or State tax forms.  The software generates all appropriate forms & schedules for me.  It also saves data to my hard drive in case I need to amend a return later. In hindsight, I wish I had switched to TurboTax a lot sooner. 

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said in my message, I can print to PDF using the Microsoft PDF print driver, but I lose the form fields.  The printed PDF cannot be filled in at all, much less saved.  I don't have an Adobe PDF print driver (maybe b/c I only have Reader).

I'd need Turbotax Business to do 1041's and I don't feel like spending the $190 (over and above the cost of Turbotax for my individual returns), just to fill out 4 forms.

I don't see why you say this isn't a bug.  I understand the IRS created the form with "Signing" = "Not allowed."  I stated that in my message, and it's probably a mistake on their part.   As I said, there are no electronic signature features in the document and they didn't set that permission in the other forms, which save fine.

You didn't answer the question:  what does the "Signing" permission have to do with saving filled-in form data?  If the answer is "nothing," then this is a bug:  Acrobat should allow you to save filled-in form data even if "Signing" is "Not allowed."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tax preparation fees are tax deductible.  😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said in my message, I can print to PDF using the Microsoft PDF print driver, but I lose the form fields.  The printed PDF cannot be filled in at all, much less saved.  I don't have an Adobe PDF print driver (maybe b/c I only have Reader).

I'd need Turbotax Business to do 1041's and I don't feel like spending the $190 (over and above the cost of Turbotax for my individual returns), just to fill out 4 forms.

I don't see why you say this isn't a bug.  I understand the IRS created the form with "Signing" = "Not allowed."  I stated that in my message, and it's probably a mistake on their part.   As I said, there are no electronic signature features in the document and they didn't set that permission in the other forms, which save fine.

You didn't answer the question:  what does the "Signing" permission have to do with saving filled-in form data?  If the answer is "nothing," then this is a bug:  Acrobat should allow you to save filled-in form data even if "Signing" is "Not allowed."

By @D36138506je5d

Whoever set up that form needs to support that form. Acrobat is only the (one of the possible) tools to fill it out. It needs to get tested. And when the test fails they need to redesign the form. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have problems with a form, you need to download the form on your computer. You should be able to fill it out with Acrobat Reader on your desktop or laptop computer.. It's not guaranteed to work in the browser (using the browser), Preview (for macOS) or Acrobat for mobile. 

And BTW, it's an IRS problem, not an Adobe problem. You should contact their fora/hotline for problem resolution. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did download the form.  As I said in my message, I am trying to fill it in using Acrobat Reader (not my browser).

As I also said in my message, the IRS probably made a mistake setting the "Signing" permission to "Not allowed."  But I don't hold out any hope that I can get the IRS to fix their form.

It can also be the case that Acrobat Reader is incorrectly handling the "Signing" permission.  Are you saying that Acrobat is correctly refusing to save filled-in data when the "Signing" permission is set to "Not allowed"?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't use the "Save as" function, since that wills ave the format, but clear all the information.

What you need to do is click on "Print" and in the place of the printer, choose "Adobe PDF" and it will save the format with all your information. Note that it will not let you edit (or at least I haven't been able to), but at least you can save your final document. This should work much better; unfortunately it does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines