• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

acrobat dc will not install

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have tried multiple times to install Acrobat DC.  it seems to complete, but will not open.  Some of the time the Chrome extension works.  Have tried the cleaner, but not to sure what cleaner to uses.  Have Win7 on a PC and Acrobat just stopped working awhile ago, and have tried to download DC with no success.Should I delete all the references to Adobe and Arcobat in the registers?  Am at my wits end.  HELP!!!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Hello Stevenw,

I really apologize for the late response and inconvenience caused to you. We do take care of our Adobe Reader users and don't push them to opt for a paid subscription.

The issue is environment specific and it is not reproducible at our end on both the platforms i.e. Mac and Windows with the latest build.

I will try my best to get the issue addressed and get a fix/workaround on this.

Would you mind sharing your callback details, the best time for a callback and timezone by private me

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uninstall all reader and all acrobat versions using the control panel

clean per Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

restart your computer

install the cc desktop app from here https://creative.adobe.com/products/creative-cloud and use it to install your adobe subscription and trial programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for delay, but was out of town.  Running Cleaner tool and it seems to be burning up CPU cycles and going nowhere.  How long do I wait?  Been 30 minutes and it is still running.  Also, do I now have to subscribe to Acrobat DC and pay for it, or is there a free reader version that I can us.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no acrobat version is free.

all reader versions are free, http://get.adobe.com/reader/

terminate the cleaner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, as they say, still no luck.  Aborted the cleaner, rebotted the computer, turned off the anti virus program, downloaded the Reader DC, installed to completion, checked the box to launch the reader, and hit OK. Next it opened a tab in Chrome and went to site that asked if I wanted 10 free items, which I don't want.  Tried to open Acrobat Reader from the start menu, got on circle and then nothing.  Then went to Explore and picked a PDF file, PDF preview viewer not there, so right clicked on the PDF and it gave me an option to open with Adobe Acrobat Reader which I selected.  NOTHING!!. Double click on the file, NOTHING!!

Control Panel.png

Now what do I do?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I see the link that you provided.  What do I do with it.  I do have Quicken if that helps.  If there is a conflict, how do I find and correct?  Who is the culprit?  How do I change the PM.dll and to what and in what program? BTW, the add on to Chrome seems to work fine as it opens PDF's in the browser.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stevenw32764053  wrote

BTW, the add on to Chrome seems to work fine as it opens PDF's in the browser.

Chrome uses its own viewer for PDFs unless you disable it and activate the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Open PDFs in Acrobat Reader from Chrome

PDF is not owned by Adobe. They gave it away and it is owned by an ISO, so other companies can make software both to create and to view PDFs. Not all of them work well.

When you view the PDFs in Chrome, does it say you are using the Acrobat Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Acrobat extension is not installed in Chrome, so must be using Chrome reader.  Funny thing is when i uninstall Acrobat DC reader, Chrome seems to stop reading PDF's.  When I install Acrobat DC Reader, I check install Chrome extension.  The mystery of why DC reader will not install, and seems to effect Chrome.

Any clue on how to make DC Reader work.  Have tried a third party Foxit, and it is not as good as Adobe's products.  If cannot get Acrobat DC Reader to install, what reader should I look at. 

This is maddening as I have never had this much trouble with Adobe products, or another I have tried to install.

All help give is apprecitated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the steps at this link from staff member AnandSri :

Can’t Install Reader

Another user reported success with these additional steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another piece of data is that Acrobat DC Pro will install and works fine.  Problem is that I do not need Pro, or want to pay for something I will not use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane-e, this is the message I get when using the link.

Access to this community or content is restricted. If you think this is a mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the link again. For some reason it went to the moderation queue.

I have both Acrobat Pro and Acrobat Reader installed. I use Pro, but look at documents in Reader to confirm how they will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This help file mentions anti-virus programs and several other things that may cause installation issues:

Troubleshoot Adobe Acrobat Reader installation | Windows

There is also a link to an FTP site for a direct download—be sure to check the language!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane-e, went through all the stuff in the link you sent, updated all the drivers, they were already the latest, check everything in Chrome, and they were already set as suggested.  BTW, when I downloaded Acrobat DC Reader, I did it from the Adobe site, and I turned off my antivirus software, Avast.  None other were running as I only run this one. Am I missing something?

Now were do we go? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am tagging Tariq Dar​ to look at this. I don't know if he works on weekends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.  Look forward to what Tariq Dar has to say.  What baffles me is that DC Pro installs and work, but not DC Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tariq Dar, can you give us some help.  jane-e says you should be able to.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since no one has come up with a solution to my problem, and it looks like at least 290 other people have a similar problem, I have been forced to look for a free PDF reader.  I now use FOXIT and it seems to work very well.  What still intrigues me is that Acrobat Pro works, but don't need all the bells and whistles that it has; and Adobe keeps sending me emails trying to sell me their products when the one I want to work does not. They have been a great company with great products, and a great investment for their shareholders which I am one. To that I thanks them.  Let's see what their customer service is really like.

Still open to going back to Acrobat Reader is someone knows how to make it work on my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't read through all of this so excuse me if you have tried the following.

Download and run the Acrobat Cleaner (you mention in your initial post not being able to find it) from here: https://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html

Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Install Reader using the full installer from here:

Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

You mentioned that it doesn't work in Chrome. Nothing can be done about that. Chrome uses its own PDF viewer and not Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have used the cleaner, rebooted the system, and did an install from the adobe site as you referenced.  It gives me the 3rd screen that asks if I want to install free stuff.  Try to open Acrobat and the circle spins once and does not open.  Try to have Acrobat named as my PDF reader and try to open any PDF file, and nothing happens.  Also, the preview reader is not there.

Even deleted the Quicken PDF printer thinking it may be in conflict.  Still nothing.  As I said, the Acrobat DC Pro installs and works as it should, but do need all the bells and whistles it has.  Just want a reader.

Foxit and Acrobat DC Pro work fine, but not Acrobat Reader.

Any Clue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Stevenw,

We're sorry for the trouble you had while installing Adobe Reader, as you have tried all the suggestions and steps mentioned and shared above, create a test user profile with full admin rights and try installing Adobe Reader again and check if the issue is reproducible.

Is it possible to remove the installed Acrobat and Reader using Acrobat cleaner tool Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Reboot the machine and install Adobe Reader from Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

let us know how it goes and share your observation.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, set up new account with administrator rights.  Went to Adobe site and downloaded Acrobat Reader.  Went through the whole process and then clicked on finsished.  Tried to open and the "load circle" stayed on for about 1 second and then nothing happened.  Opened the Task Manager and looked at the process.  CPU % was about 60%,, but no processes showed more than one or two %.  Clicked on "show all users" and the process "TrustedInstaller.exe" was at about 50% and would decrease over a short time.  When I tried to open Acrobat Reader, the % went back up to about 50% from 10-15%.

No, it is not cocktail hour yet here, but I think I am going crazy.  Most trouble I have had with a program in my life.

Any clue what is happening?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that Adobe really does not care about Arcobat DC Reader, but want to push you to the PRO edition as I keep getting emails saying sign up for the cloud and pay for the trial subscription you have.  Why would I want to do that if they can't even support the Reader?

Any comments?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines