• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader application error: "The memory could not be read."

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a PC with Windows 7, and I'm using Adobe Reader version 15. Yesterday I was prompted to install an Adobe Reader update, which I did. Today, when I tried to open and print a PDF file, I got a message that said: "AcroRd32.exe -- Application Error. The instruction at 0x518f525c referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program." I then tried to open other PDF files that I'd successfully opened as recently as last week, and I'm getting the same message for all of them, except that the instruction number (e.g., 0x518f525c) is different each time. After reading earlier posts on this forum, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe Reader, but the same problem is still occurring. The version of Adobe Reader that is installed is 15.023.20053. I also tried disabling Protected Mode in Adobe Reader, but after I do that and try to reopen Adobe Reader, I get a message saying that the program has stopped running. Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

I can't explain why this worked, but after reading a similar thread about issues that users have been having with Acrobat Reader since the most recent update, I tried the following, and it seemed to solve the problem for me:

I clicked on the Start icon at the bottom left of the screen.

I right-clicked on the Acrobat Reader DC icon.

I clicked on Properties.

I went to the Compatibility tab.

The box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for" was checked, and Windows 7 was selected.

Although I'm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are facing the same issues today at work, so far 2 users are having this issue when scanning or viewing scanned documents in SAP.  I want to find the prior full version installer so I can go back to the old version for these users but it seems impossible to find old installers!  Not sure what we can do to fix this, very frustrated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't explain why this worked, but after reading a similar thread about issues that users have been having with Acrobat Reader since the most recent update, I tried the following, and it seemed to solve the problem for me:

I clicked on the Start icon at the bottom left of the screen.

I right-clicked on the Acrobat Reader DC icon.

I clicked on Properties.

I went to the Compatibility tab.

The box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for" was checked, and Windows 7 was selected.

Although I'm using Windows 7, I unchecked this box.

I then clicked Apply.

To my surprise, I now seem to be able to open and print PDF files within any difficulty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I work at a helpdesk and one of my users has been experiencing this issue all morning, but only when trying to print from within an application which interfaces with Adobe. I first updated, which did not work, so I uninstalled and reinstalled. This worked for a short period, then the issue returned. I then did a system restore, which also worked for a limited time. Your solution has resolved the error for a third time today. Let's hope it's the magic fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows 8, your suggestion to turn off the compatibility mode worked for me, so far so good.

Thanks for the input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix did not work for me. I ticked the Windows 7 box and tried unsuccessfully to open a PDF. I then un-ticked the Windows 7 box but again received the "Memory could not be read" message". Thanks for your help anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hilaryb....Is your problem that you are unable to open a pdf at all?  I would check DEFAULT PROGRAMS,  and ensure .pdf file types are set to open with your preferred application. The AcroRd32.exe error i received only occurred when attempting to print the pdf from within another application.  Btw, no further issues have arisen since i applied the compatibility fix,  confirmed just an hour ago by my EU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your input. I have however not yet solved the problem.

I have gone the "compatibility" route, with Windows 7 v and not v.

A Quick Print from the attachment heading can be done but defeats the object

of saving the attachment directly to a folder.

Default settings have been checked and found to be correct for Adobe Acrobat

Reader DC.

The latest installed version from Adobe (version 15 023.20053 316 MB) was

installed on 2017.01.11. I have done the Repair Installation Errors etc.,

but to no avail.

The following comment from shesanagent seems very relevant:

So, something happened, and I still believe that there is a lingering

issue that we will continue to run in to, until they completely repair the

update issue.

Best regards Hilary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never seen this error before, and I am running a freshly reinstalled Win10. Thanks for the direction though I went the other way. I ran the compatibility trouble shooter and took it's suggestion. I'll run in Win 8 mode now until/if i have further issues to see if the error happens again. Restarting and opening files seem good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you got any fix for this ?

I am having the same problem on Windows 2010R2 terminal services users.

Get error 0x53cde933  referenced memory at 0x000000000 could not be read.

Interestingly if I open as run as administrator the program opens , I can set  adobe as default pdf app and make changes to enhanced security. But these are not saved. When I open normally the pgm crashes once again.

Got on mutiple servers against new profiles only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear,

Find solution,

First open Adobe with Windows XP compatible mode then disable protected mode on start up

Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced) > Enable Protected Mode at startup.

Maybe we can don it directly by registry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you say you clicked the "start" icon are you refering to the windows icon? If so, my adobe icon doesn't show up there. Ugh, this is so frustrating. I'd love some advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried your suggestion and wala!, it worked.  THANK YOU!!!!!

I had posted earlier today for the same thing in another forum and went through the same steps, had the same situations, different message headers and codes.  One thing I tried before today was the compatibility part, but Windows 7 didn't even show up in the list, only Vista SP1.  But, after doing the cleaner and reinstall, and going by your suggestion, Windows 7 was in the list.  So, something happened, and I still believe that there is a lingering issue that we will continue to run in to, until they completely repair the update issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines