Highlighted

Acrobat Reader - Cannot highlight a row of text

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I used to be able to highlight pdf's easily and was using Adobe Reader in October and it worked well.  I just opened two different pdfs. One I read in October and successfully highlighted portions of it then.  However, now I seem to no longer be able to highlight a block of text.  If I click and drag the mouse to try to highlight a block of text, no highlighting occurs.  The only way I can highlight text is to double click on a word.  Then only the word is highlighted.  It is tedious to highlight individual words when I need to highlight multiple sentences.

Has something changed in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC?  I tried bringing up the settings window with Ctrl+E but don't see an option that would help.  I do have "keep tool selected".

Suggestions?  Thanks!

Topics

Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat Reader - Cannot highlight a row of text

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I used to be able to highlight pdf's easily and was using Adobe Reader in October and it worked well.  I just opened two different pdfs. One I read in October and successfully highlighted portions of it then.  However, now I seem to no longer be able to highlight a block of text.  If I click and drag the mouse to try to highlight a block of text, no highlighting occurs.  The only way I can highlight text is to double click on a word.  Then only the word is highlighted.  It is tedious to highlight individual words when I need to highlight multiple sentences.

Has something changed in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC?  I tried bringing up the settings window with Ctrl+E but don't see an option that would help.  I do have "keep tool selected".

Suggestions?  Thanks!

Topics

Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problems as Ehall, someone can help us. Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ehall, I solved the problem this way. I went to the system configuration services tab, and disabled the "Genie Timeline Service" service. Check if you have it too, otherwise follow the one described in this guide: https://support.microsoft.com/it-it/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows. Regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Giuseppe57!   Thank you for the suggestion to use clean booting.  I hadn't heard of this before but I started investigating.  I followed the Clean Boot in instructions that I found at https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10. I didn't have the Genie service but I found a DT_startup process that was causing an issue with highlighting.  This is connected to the software that we use for our new Benq monitor.  I'm hoping the monitor will still work sufficiently with this startup process turned off. 

Thanks again for the helpful post.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a pleasure to be able to help you.
Regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines