Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader crashes on opening

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you Help?

I have recently found that when I try and open a PDF file in an adobe Acrobat reader DC the file opens and then immediately closes thus not allowing me to read print etc.

I have tried re installing adobe but the this has failed.

Can anybody help me resolve this problem please.

I am running windows 7

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Hi Tobyw,

Sorry for the delay in response.

As the application closes immediately after opening the file, try the troubleshooting steps provided below: Resolve Acrobat DC intermittent crashes on Windows

Check if this helps

If that does not work, try to reset the preferences of the application.

You may refer the steps provided here: How to reset Acrobat Preference settings to default.

Also, try to update the application to the latest patch released.

Refer this help document for information on updates

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem, where my reader will open and randomly close without warning. I have re-installed and even rolled back to an earlier version but it still does the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tobyw,

Sorry for the delay in response.

As the application closes immediately after opening the file, try the troubleshooting steps provided below: Resolve Acrobat DC intermittent crashes on Windows

Check if this helps

If that does not work, try to reset the preferences of the application.

You may refer the steps provided here: How to reset Acrobat Preference settings to default.

Also, try to update the application to the latest patch released.

Refer this help document for information on updates: Release Notes | Adobe Acrobat, Reader

Let us know if the issue still persists.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My crashes are all immediate, not intermitant.  I get no error messages that I can send you.  I can not set anything since the Acrobat screen will not stay up and running long enough to do anything.  It starts, and then shuts off within seconds of the Acrobat screen coming up.  I just downloaded it again from your website today, so I assume it is the most recent version.  Running W10 on a newer desktop.

I tried downloading it last month and it did the same thing so I gave up on it, but I need Acrobat to run a couple of other programs I have.  This is about the 8th time I have tried to delete the software and download it.

Update: I just tried to use your cleaner as recommended on other post's and delete Acrobat and reload it.  Still have the same problem.

Update: I am having to use w7 mode in w10 on this new computer.  It's working now, but I would think that your newest software and as long as w10 has been out, this shouldn't happen.  You must have another w10 clitch somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

sorry to be tagging along on this old post, but thought I would share. I'm using a Dell Windows 7 machine. It is obviously several years old at this point. It came with Acrobat XI. Since the machine was new, I haven't been aware of any problems. All of a sudden, as of Monday this week, Acrobat crashes within 15 seconds of opening.

- The problem occurs opening any PDF file, or even if the program is launched without opening a file.

- The problem exists for both my local user account, as well as the administrator account.

- We have rebooted. Tried to 'Repair' the program in the control panel/programs list. Uninstalled Acrobat. Rebooted. Reinstalled Acrobat. And the problem persists.

- The issue may be related to an automatic update to the Windows 7 OS? Our IT person has suggested updating Acrobat to 2017 to cure the issue, while not putting us in a subscription pay model. He also acknowledged that he has seen Acrobat behaving similarly on many older versions of acrobat and/or on older computers. He believes it is Adobe's way of pushing users to upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had any issues with my older w7 computer,,, yet.  Acrobat still runs fine on it.  But on my newer w10 desktop, I can't even get to my pdf files, as it was shutting off too quickly, within 2 seconds, to even click on anything.  So far, it seems to be working, now that I switched on "w7 mode".  I'm just surprised that I have to do that when I'm running Adobe's newest version on a new machine with the newest w10 download.  Acrobat is not exactly rocket science complicated software.

I agree with your IT folks that it's a way to encourage paying for their upgraded software, as I almost went that direction.  I've had to replace almost all of my w7 software, including word perfect, adobe, form docs, and even my music player, which all began to have little glitches which were becoming increasingly irritating.  It seems MS wants me to use only their music player so they can keep track of everything I'm playing on my computer and all the songs I have in my files.  I'm, still fighting upgrading my TurboCad, since that's a major undertaking and I love my older version.  I've read that this was MS plan from the beginning, to get us all to pay for all sorts of upgrades and new hardware, then get paid back by the vendors.  

Wish I had another choice, but other than Redhat, we are at their mercy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same situation on an older Dell that ran Windows 7 until a few days ago when IT did an upgrade to Windows 10. Since then every time - not intermittent - I open an Adobe pdf it crashes, no error code - rebooting etc. does not resolve issue.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using w7 "mode" when using acrobat.  That has allowed me to use the software but with some small glitches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just solved this problem the PDF file itself has corrupted it wasn't Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try a mouse right-button click and hold on the file name (in your File Explorer) to open a sub-menu, and the select "Open With" and then select "Adobe Acrobat".  Worked for me in Windows 10. Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines