Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader DC - high cpu usage - suddenly

Explorer ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi everyone,

i'm experiencing a very annoying behaviour of acrobat reader on win 10, I usually work all the day having acrobat reader always open with 4/5 simple pdf files open, about a month ago I started experiencing this problem:

suddenly, the cpu usage of the adobe reader process goes high, without any action or any new files opened or whatever, it just starts randomly, as you can see from this picture acreddca.PNG

more than 20% of a quad core i7 7th, causing overheat and useless fan noise. pointless

I can't really understand why this happens, I have the latest version installed, i always check and install updates, but nothing changes, I also performed the "repair installation" tool and I also uninstalled it completely then reinstalled.

It's very very annoying, all day it works normally then suddenly starts doing that. If i close and re-open it sometimes it keeps working normally, sometimes the problem reappears in a while.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. Would you mind sharing the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 22.1.20085 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also Go to Edit (Win), Adobe Acrobat (Mac) > preferences > Page Display > Under rendering, Uncheck 'use page cache' > Click OK and reboot the computer.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issue on Windows RDS Server 2016.
adoberdrcef and adobe acrobat reader DC (32bit) are killing the CPU and the users are feeling the effect. Can we get a resolution on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  I have attached my logs. What do I do about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note, I am using 2021.001.20138

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even normally open Acrobat Reader DC. Keep getting (Not Resp[onding) with the only solution to remove the software from my PC. Reboot and re-install again. About 5times a week. This sucks.
Strange that it still doesn't work and that you can not even resolve this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Liana15D5,

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Could you pls. let us know the answer to the following queries: 

• What is the version of Acrobat Reader DC installed on your system?
  • Also are there any other Adobe products installed on your system (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, LightRoom etc.) apart from Acrobat Reader?
  • Could you please share the process dump or procmon log captured during the not responding state?

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Vinod,

I am new here and only started using the Adobe Acrobat DC software a couple of months ago, and over the last few days I have been experiencing this same problem.

But what I don't like is you apparent pretence of ignorance of the problem, when I see the same CPU memory overusage problem in complaints going back to 2015 and possible longer!

When is this problem going to get fixed?

I expect a LOT more from a company of Adobe's size!

Regards

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @ANDREW5E09 ,

Could you please share the process dumps and procmon logs from the affected system so that we can investigate the issue? Also pls. provide us the version of Acrobat/Reader from your system and if you have any other Adobe application on your system (like Photoshop, Illustrator etc.) then do let us know.

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vinod,

Exactly the reply I was expecting!

For how many years are you and Adobe going to ask for the Process Dumps but still not provide solutions!

Forget it. Bloody useless!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Andrew,

Until and unless we get reproducible scenarios or process dumps from users it would be difficult for us to provide a foolproof solution. The Acrobat team did fix one of the problems for high cpu usage in the past which we got from one such dump. The same issue is not occurring now. So pls. provide logs so that we can provide a solution if at all it is an issue with Acrobat.

Thanks & Regards,

Vinod  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello . I'm too expieriencing same problem.

I'm using LENOVO THINKPAD P15S GEN 1 

CPU:Intel Core i7-10510U

Ram:16 GB

SSD: 512 GB

GPU: NVIDIA Quadro P520 2GB GDDR5

I'm using free version of Adobe DC Acrobat Reader. 32 bit.

After Opening one of pdf document, Ram rise up to 20 %. and it loads very slowly.

What i did to tried resolve this problem to no but without consequences.

1. Reinstalling app.

2. Disabling SAFE features.( it workded but other program what use ADOBE PDF started not responding so i swithed SAFE feuture.

3.Tried to open Adobe reader in safe mode.

Nothing worked.

(P.S) Problem dissapearing after using Foxitreader for opening same document. It opens Instantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Forgot to mention *

Using Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Also tried to switch Program Using CPU VIDEO graphics to Nvidia Quadro but no results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. We are also facing this problem in our Terminal Server. Is there anything we can do to solve this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Uninstalled then reinstalled. Didn't fix anything.

Then I saw the compatibilty mode ticked, I unticked it and Adobe now works fine. 

See if doing THAT can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on Windows 10 21H1 64-bit - Acrobat Reader Continuous Release 2021.007.20099  64-bit.  I currently have Reaader open with about 10 tabs.  I have Reader iminimzed, and it is using 7-18% CPU, sometimes more.  I have taken a screen shot of ProcessExplorer (process Acrobat.exe) and attached it.  I can understand Reader using CPU when I have it open and I am reading a PDF file, but I do not understand "large" CPU usage when I have the application minimized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded and ran ProcMon.  I have attached the .csv file of the trace of the one Acrobat.exe PID that was using CPU.  There are 2,738 lines in the file - 2,423 are ReadFile and 315 CreateFile.  I would expect that if I had the Reader application open, then the application would be reading the PDF file I was reviewing.  But if the application is minimized, then I have no idea why Reader is trying to read files that it already has open and loaded, and I do not know why Reader is tryng to create [temporary?] files in a directory that does not exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, this is ridiculous!! I have pro XI and DC both installed. I've stopped using DC because of the resource hog that it is. Nevermind if creative cloud fires up and clogs my system. How many updates and chronic communications back and forth do you really need? I mean really guys, what the heck is going on? Brand new laptop with 16GB ram and DC/CC are pretty much unusable. Full Bluebeam suite even runs faster. I'm not sure I want to stick with Adobe any longer. You've gone from something pretty amazing to just about garbage in less than 5 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 2021.007.20099. Constantly eating 5-8% CPU when application is doing nothing! Just few open PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything was fine until I re-upped my subscription.  Now Acrobat wants me to do everything in the cloud.  It's just stupid.

My guess is Acrobat is attempting to upload your document to the cloud, even though you may have elected not to, and it's going through some kind of processing to index things that simply don't need to be dealt with.

Hey Adobe.  It's Acrobat.  It's supposed to display a file, not solve the mysteries of the universe.  Please, for the love of all that's holy, let us turn off everything so we can just read a darn PDF.  Please.  I don't need your exceptional cloud searching capabilities, I don't need any help with the exception of not hogging my CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This high random CPU usage issue is HORRIBLE. This doesn't happen to to any of the other programs... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. Would you mind sharing the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 22.1.20085 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also Go to Edit (Win), Adobe Acrobat (Mac) > preferences > Page Display > Under rendering, Uncheck 'use page cache' > Click OK and reboot the computer.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal,

On my system, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC was also churning the CPU at 5-8% most of the time for no reason and disabling 'Use page cache' as you suggested below stopped this instantly. I had 9 PDF documents open, I didn't even close the application or restart anything.

You might be on the right track.

Thanks and kind regards,

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The software version is 22.001.20117, 64-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Please confirm if you are still experiencing this issue and need more help.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I indicated above, disabling 'Use page cache' resolved it.

Regards,

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How I disable "Use page Cache"?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines