• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader DC long file path

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an organization, we are using Windows 10 with the "LongPathsEnabled" registry entry set to 1, as posted here: Enable Long Paths in Windows 10, Version 1607, and Later 

This has helped us with moving long pathed files and opening them in Microsoft Office programs.

However, Adobe Acrobat DC (and Acrobat Reader DC) still cannot open files with paths longer than 255 characters. We have tested this in multiple scenarios and have found that Acrobat has this problem with any long file path. The file simply won't open or opens a blank document. If you copy the document to a short path, it opens flawlessly.

I have found several similar threads here , here and here . All mention it's a file path limitation of Windows. That is simply no longer the case. As seen in the top link, Windows 10 now supports file paths up to 32,767 characters. 

As linked in this thread here , user avn1 has correctly deduced that Adobe has not updated Acrobat to recognize the new MAX_PATH restrictions. That thread has several more responses but none from Adobe employees.

Could you please advise when Adobe plans to add long file path functionality to Acrobat products? Or at least acknowledge that you are working on it, please?

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe support is still claiming that this issue is a Windows issue and not an Adobe issue.  Their close minded, attitude is offensive.  They act like their "solution" is the only way to aproach problem solving an issue.  Their attitude is not a collaborative one.  I was treated like I don't understand basic issues.  It is hard to collaboratively problem solve, when I request for the agent to speak slowly and clearly, but I still struggle to understand.  The language barrier is a problem.  I asked for a definition of provisioning, and I was given a condescending attitude.  My money is as good as anyone else's and I don't appreciate being treated like I don't get it.  Funny how they blatantly lie, about the programatic architecture.  I asked about character limitation issues, but I did not get an answer.  They gaslighted me, to make me feel like I didn't understans the issue, but I was getting it.  I wanted answers before I made a system wide decision, and my files were deleted without my consent.  Be aware, that if you change your login data, that globally, your files will be affected.  They do not have a means of batch processing back up of data; you have to back up files one by one.  If you want to be gaslighted repeatedly, call Adobe customer support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did Adobe support ever respond to you?  Do they care to fix major issues like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
Adobe Acrobat and Reader official update (21.001.20135) containing the fix for this issue is now available.

This update will be automatically pushed to all existing installations of Acrobat and Reader. You may also manually trigger the update early by opening the application and going to Help > Check for Updates.
More information about this release is here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html
Please try it out and let us know your feedback!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021-11-27  Adobe Acrobat DC (21.007.20099)  No updates available.

The problem still exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue and I have installed the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1-19-2022 still not working...  Will this ever be fixed?  I have had multiple users in our organization think their computer is broken because certain files do not open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022-04-21: Still not able to open files with long file paths in Adobe Acrobat Standard DC version 2021.001.20149, even though Windows registry setting "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\LongPathsEnabled" is set to true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not fixed. Absolutely ridiculous

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, can't open long path files, typically files in my folders tha are synced with OneDrive, which is all of my work related files. This is ridiculous. Adobe, please fix this issue immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beyond absurd that this issue exists in 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response. 

Have you started experiencing this issue recently after installing a new patch for applications or Windows?

Would you mind sharing the Adobe Acrobat/Reader version you are using? To check the version, go to Help > about Acrobat and ensure you have the recent version 22.001.20169  installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once (you must save all the work before restarting)

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html 

The PDF file you are referring to, are you saving it to a network location? Where exactly do you have this file located?

Please save the file locally and then try to open it.

Thanks,

Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akanchha,

Thank you for responding.  I am using the latest version of Adobe and the problem persists with my long path files that are saved in my One Drive folders (same with those in Google Drive).  If I save files locally the path is shorter and I don't have the issue, however, I use the cloud storage so that my files are accessible across platforms and cannot save everything locally to all machines.  I need to be able to open the files stored in the cloud storage locations. Why is it a problem for Adobe to remove the file path character limit?  Other programs are able to open the files with the long path, just not Adobe. This seems like it should be a pretty simple fix for Adobe to rectify a common problem among its users.

Thanks,
Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing more details.

This could be a break in the latest patch. Can you share the screenshot of the dot version of Acrobat Reader?

Open Acrobat>help>about Acrobat Reader 

~Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akanchha,

Please see below for a screenshot of the info.  I'm using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.  I'm a paying subscriber and use the product regularly. This is very frustrating and I hope you can help to get this issue resolved.

Thanks,
Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be a better screenshot...

Adobe Acrobat Info.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Is there any resolution to this??

It's very annoying!!!

Casey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the screenshot. Version 2022.001.20169 is the recent one. Let us discuss this with our engineering team and get more clarity.

We appreciate your patience. 

~Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, 
Getting the same issue - can you just roll out a patch to this?
I also have LongPaths set to true.
Am opening from a network drive with the folder path being longer than 255.

This is impacting my company at the moment, can you please inform us here of any regkey fixes in the meantime while we wait for a resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME ISSUE HERE, and it's very troublesome to our business!  Please find a fix for this asap?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's ridiculous. Adobe has known about this issue for over two years and they would rather ignore than issue than fixt it. Every other major application has long paths compatible with Windows 10, but Adobe refuses to update and would rather be lazy and neglect their customers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am also receiving the same issue company-wide. Adobe please provide an update on this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. It's a real problem. We  rely on (1) OneDrive (2) professional version of Adobe (currently DC) (3) legal documents which by necessity have long file names and folder hierarchy. These three things are no longer compatible. Why impose this outdated arbitrary restriction? I presume to save them a few cents on storage, at our expense for actually being able to work effectively with the tool we have paid for. No longer fit for purpose. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Miss D26....Same scenario here (1) OneDrive (2) latest and "greatest" Adobe DC Pro  (3) legal documents with long file names and folder hierarchy. Also the same problem exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hy Adobe!  Same Problem here!!!! What is the Solution??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines