Highlighted

Acrobat Reader DC - Read Out Loud - stops at hyphenated words

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue with PDFs when they are formatted with large margins (lots of whitespace on the sides) and so many of the words are hyphenated.

Instead of Read out Loud reading the "entire paragraph", it stops on any line that ends with a hyphen. So in some cases, it will only read one sentence or two and then cut short mid-sentence because the last word on that line was hyphenated.

Is there a solution to this?

(sidenote, I've seen people request a feature to have Reader automatically highlight words as it speaks, sadly this still isn't a feature...)

Topics

General troubleshooting, How to, Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat Reader DC - Read Out Loud - stops at hyphenated words

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue with PDFs when they are formatted with large margins (lots of whitespace on the sides) and so many of the words are hyphenated.

Instead of Read out Loud reading the "entire paragraph", it stops on any line that ends with a hyphen. So in some cases, it will only read one sentence or two and then cut short mid-sentence because the last word on that line was hyphenated.

Is there a solution to this?

(sidenote, I've seen people request a feature to have Reader automatically highlight words as it speaks, sadly this still isn't a feature...)

Topics

General troubleshooting, How to, Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

you can voice your feature request using this form: https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered, by accident, that if you upload your pdf document, after performing tools=> scan& OCR => Recognize Text, in Adobe, on the document, into the text recognition program "Abbyy Fine-Reader, (I have version 14), by choosing "Open in OCR Editor" in the main menu of Abbyy, it will recognize the document quickly, such that after you save it, and open it in Adobe Acrobat, all of the annoying breaks are gone.  The text is smoothly read, by paragraph, without any breaks within a paragraph, .. you just have to prompt for each successive paragraph to be read, by clicking anywhere within it, (a text box then appears, surrounding the paragraph, and it is read), or scrolling down with the arrow, to read the next paragraph.  Of course, this does require buying Abbyy fine-reader, but they may have a trial version, where you can test this out, not sure.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As discussed with you, the concerned issues has been raised to the Engineering team and will be addressed in the future releases.

Thanks

Rachit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Trending Issue & Solution
Edit PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC