Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

acrobat reader dc removes finder tags on save

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all:

I'm running the latest version of Acrobat Reader DC (17.12.20098.240878) and macOS High Sierra (10.13.1). I just noticed that upon annotating-saving pdfs, the finder tags I'd assigned to the pdf were removed/deleted. Though this seems to be a sort of bug, any suggestions/solutions?

Best,

Poldy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daedalus,

As shared above, that this is happening with the latest version of the Adobe Reader DC on the latest OS High Sierra. So could you please confirm whether its started happening immediate after updating to the latest version or you had this problem earlier too?

Also, have you tested with any other document? If not then please do.

Try to Reset Preferences of application as suggested in help document. How to reset Acrobat Preference settings to default. (updated link)

For Reader DC you may try-  close Acrobat Reader and delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Reader.plist

With the latest version on High Sierra this issue has not been reported yet. However if you have experienced this then we need to check it at our end.

Let us know the update on this, if it still doesn't fix.

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akanchha:

Thanks for your response. I installed the Reader after I'd already updated my OS to High Sierra—so I can't speak to its behavior prior to the High Sierra update.

I have tried this on multiple PDFs and I get the same result each time after annotating and saving, the PDF file loses its finder tag.

There is no "Repair Installation" under Help in my version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Having just updated Reader DC again (2018.009.20044), the problem still persists.

Best,

Daedalus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daedalus,

I apologize for the delay in response to your query.

As you have just mentioned about the latest update, even after installing the latest update its still not working.

Not the repair installation, try reset preferences as updated in the above reply. And see if that makes any difference and if it doesn't then 

Would it be possible to share a sample document with us?

"You can share the file with us via email. And you can send it to the email that is shared via private message. Please do mention your forum thread in the subject"

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there:

An update on the situation: apparently, one thing that activates the bug is remove/delete a highlight and save. In other words, last I checked (10 min ago)  the tags were still there after a mere highlighting and saving. But once I remove a highlight and save, my finder tags vanish right away!

Finally, I think I sent you (or someone) an email, but so far no reply. Please let me know again how I can send you a sample pdf (but FYI, the pdfs I use are standard academic articles, nothing fancy; I've tested quite a few pdfs, all with the same result). I'm currently running the latest version (18.11.20038.267465), yet the issue persists: please do something about this very annoying bug!

Best,

Poldy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the EXACT same issue as daedalus8 and it s driving me CRAZY. I noticed that opening pdf files with Preview application I can edit and save without losing the tags so I m probably going to use Preview as a default for all my pdf files. Adobe is not providing solutions. I tried both solutions suggested above by Akki_24 but they don't work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Albertof,

Sorry for the delay in response.

As you have mentioned above, the finder tags disappear when you add annotations to the PDF.

Could you provide more information on this issue so we can replicate the same at our end?

- Do you experience this issue with all the PDFs?

- Can you share a PDF file with us, so we can check it at our end? You can use the steps mentioned here How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud to share the PDF.

- Share the version of the Adobe application you are using. Take help of the steps mentioned here Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

We will be waiting for your response.

Let us know if you need any help.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I cannot really study now how to upload files using Adobe document

cloud etc etc, I can send you quickly as an attachment a screenshot

showing the Adobe version and one of the pdf files on which I experienced

the problem. I was actually experiencing this tag loss with EVERY pdf file

opened with the Acrobat reader DC. It specifically removes the tag when I,

for example, delete an underling that I previously put and save the file.

In other words this seems not to happen when I add things (for example I

highlight a part of the pdf text) but the finder tag disappear when some

comments *are removed *(when I cancel the underlining and save the file).

Sorry I cannot help you following your suggested procedure. For this issue

I had to switch from Acrobat reader to Preview application to edit my files

and use the tags without using them. Losing tags is really hell. If you fix

this problem Ill probably go back to Acrobat. Thank you

2018-05-01 14:00 GMT+02:00 meenakshin83966505 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

acrobat reader dc removes finder tags on save created by

meenakshin83966505 <https://forums.adobe.com/people/meenakshin83966505>

in Acrobat Reader - View the full discussion

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/10354084#10354084>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Pro DC strips Finder Tags upon save, which it oughtn’t do. Adobe should address this issue, by ensuring that Acrobat preserves any and all Finder Tags assigned to the document being edited.

Unfortunately, based on the previous official replies, tech support is kicking the can with “can-you-pleas”es and “waiting for” excuses. Just engage with the issue and address it, Adobe.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not find a fix for that.  But when I installed TOTAL FINDER this issue did not occur again. There's something in TOTAL FINDER preventing ADOBE ACROBAT from deleting the finder tag on saving.
I hope it helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please report this bug to User Voice where the engineers and product managers will see it and you can track it and vote on it. Post the link back here as well.

https://acrobat.uservoice.com

Include the exact version of Reader and your OS, plus what you are doing that triggers it.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines