Highlighted

Acrobat Reader DC search fails - Mac OS

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For multiple versions now, the Search functionality in Acrobat Reader DC does not work.  You can enter a search text string, but after completing the search, nothing is found.

I have v20.6.20034 installed at the moment.

Any suggestions to fix this?

Topics

General troubleshooting, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat Reader DC search fails - Mac OS

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For multiple versions now, the Search functionality in Acrobat Reader DC does not work.  You can enter a search text string, but after completing the search, nothing is found.

I have v20.6.20034 installed at the moment.

Any suggestions to fix this?

Topics

General troubleshooting, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 21, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is usually the result of the text being either a part of an image (ie, not real text at all), or incorrectly encoded.

Can you select that text with the mouse? If so, can you copy it and paste to another application, not Notepad? What does it look like when you paste it there?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I open the .pdf with OSX Preview, everything works.  I can select and copy text from the document.  I can search.

With Acrobat, when I select and copy text, I get the following when I paste.

##$8=?($

Clearly, that wasn't the original text...

That explains why search is not working.  Now, why does the .pdf look fine and print with no issues, but I cannot search or cut/paste correctly from Acrobat?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Por favor,no me manden ninguna nota

Enviado desde mi iPad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dejen de mandarme más notas por favor

Enviado desde mi iPad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 29, 2020 0
Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can't do that, but you can. There's an "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of each email you're getting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 29, 2020 0
Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weirdly, when I've looked at this before I've found the PDF wasn't set up for proper text extraction, leaving space for guesswork. In this case Reader guesses "wrong" (that is, the results aren't useful) but another app might guess right. Best to complain to the document creator.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 29, 2020 0