• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader DC will not open

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This morning Acrobat Reader DC would not open, so I uninstalled it, then re-installed.

When I double click the icon I get an error message "Windows cannot find C:zProgram Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\AcroRd32.exe". I checked using file explorer and the file appears to be there. If I double-click the file, I get the same error message. How can I fix this, please?

I'm running Windows 10 64-bit on a desktop PC.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just found this advice:

We're sorry for the trouble you had with Adobe Reader, please reboot the machine once and use Acrobat cleaner tool to remove any corrupt and conflicting installation files Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Reboot the machine and download the setup of Adobe Reader from Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

Once the setup is downloaded, right click on the setup file and click on ‘properties’.

Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/7 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.

Once this is done, restart the computer and look for Adobe Reader icon, right-click and choose 'Run as Administrator'.

Try opening PDF files with Adobe Reader, go to Window -> Cascade -> Tile and see if that brings up the PDFs.

If the issue still persists, please create a test user profile with full admin rights and check.

Let us know how it goes and share your observation.

However, having followed this process, the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the solution but IT DID NOT FIT with Creative Cloud. It is just for standalone version of Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the duplicate response, but I thought it would be easier for folks to find at the beginning of the string, versus the bottom.

Found this on an old forum and it worked for me.  The answer came from an Adobe employee.

Could you please try the following steps:

1- Close Reader

2- Hold down Windows key and press R on your keyboard, this will bring up Run dialogue box.

3- Type regedit in the run dialogue box and hit Enter, click Yes when User Account Control pop-up appears.

4- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options, delete the key AcroRd32.exe

5- Relaunch Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, very, very much!

I made what you said above and in 2 minutes I could open my pdv. files!

really enjoyed your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the forum for Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get a similar issue with Acrobat DC 2015:

Yesterday Jun 10th, 2020, Acrobat DC 2015 would not open, so I uninstalled it, then re-installed.

When I double click the icon I get an error message box [Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 2015\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe'. Make sure you type the name correctly, and then try again.]

I checked using file explorer and the file appears to be there. If I double-click the file, I get the same error message. I can however view the content in binary form. How can I fix this, please?

I'm running Windows 10 64-bit v2004 on a Lenovo W540 laptop..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encounter the same trouble with Windows 10 64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problems. I have tried everything form un install and re install to delete the AcroRd32.exe key to rename the adobe path. Nothing has worked yet. I can trick it into opening adobe by renaming the path in program files but it will not let me print to pdf and other programs cannot find adobe. This needs to be fixed asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further research finds the same problem with my backup PC.

Both PCs have the latest Windows update installed, so it may be caused by this. Experience suggests that waiting a couple of days for the next update usually solves this sort of difficulty. Not ideal, but, not being a whizz-kid, it's all I can offer.

Patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the question is?, who's cause - Microsoft or Adobe or their intrusive
intellectual property kludge?

In the meantime I cannot work.... while all the pirated copies are working
for their users in third worlds.

FWIW, I have the newest Windows 10 v2004, with all it's infantile graphics
and links to marketing apps installed by default on MY system. A little
research, via 'unlock' points to Acrotray as the issue.... I'll wait, I'm not getting
paid to cure their problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, too.  Spent 3 hours on chat with someone using the cleaner and reinstalling Reader and AI.  Same issues are occuring.  I am still using Windows 7 (don't judge, not my decision).  Makes me believe this is an Adobe issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this on an old forum from an Adobe employee.  I tried it and it worked for me.

Could you please try the following steps:

1- Close Reader

2- Hold down Windows key and press R on your keyboard, this will bring up Run dialogue box.

3- Type regedit in the run dialogue box and hit Enter, click Yes when User Account Control pop-up appears.

4- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options, delete the key AcroRd32.exe

5- Relaunch Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This morning, following another Windows 10 update, everything is working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi All,

Sorry for the trouble caused and the delay in response.

If you are still receiving the error message when trying to launch the application or opening a PDF file, please provide us some details as asked below to further investigate this issue.

- What is the application and OS version installed on the machine?

- Are you using any security software/ antivirus on the machine?

- Share the logs collected via the Acrobat and Reader Process Monitor tool (https://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatmonitor.html)

- Share the installer logs. You can find installer logs from the following location on Windows: \Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers

Please feel free to post here if you have any questions or need any help.

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines