• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader DC won't save preferences

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've installed Acrobat Reader DC on Windows 10. It will not save my preferences. I've opened it as Administrator, chose and saved preferences but they won't save. Any suggestions?

[Moved from non-technical Lounge Forum to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which specific preferences would you be referring to? Edit>Preferences, File opening preferences...etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit, Preferences. Specifically, when I choose the document to open at 75% it opens to full size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some documents can contain their own preferences for how they are opened. That is at the document creators discretion.

Did you set Edit>Preferences>Page Display>Zoom or did you try Edit>Documents>Open settings "Restore last view settings when reopening documents"? The latter may help for the second opening where the first would not if the document has a preset to open say at 150%...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Edit Preferences, under Default Layout and Zoom the defaults are "Automatic". When I change the zoom setting to something other than automatic it won't save. The newly created documents always open at 151%. When I check restore last view settings the same saved document will continue to open at 151%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the same thing happen if you right-click the Adobe Reader program icon and choose "Run as Administrator?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I believe I said that in my original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried both settings. It always reverts back to Automatic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi carlt52154085,

Could you please try updating application to the latest patch released.

Open the application and navigate to Help menu > Check for updates.

You may also refer this help document for more information on updates: Release Notes | Adobe Acrobat, Reader

Let us know if this helps.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that. It states: No Updates Available.

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:07 AM, meenakshin83966505 <

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please confirm the dot version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC installed on your system.

Open application and go to Help menu > About Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

Check the dot version provided on the small window pop-ups.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

version: 2017.009.20044

On Apr 17, 2017 10:48 AM, "meenakshin83966505" <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi carlt52154085,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Thank you for sharing the issue.

We are looking into this issue. Will keep you updated you on this.

We appreciate your patience on this.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using version 2021.001.20138 on a Windows 10 (updated) system. I have clicked Edit>Preferences>Documents>Rememebr current state of Tools Pane,   and I have clicked Preferences>Page Display> Zoom>Fit Width, and I have clicked General>Open PDFs from the last session...

Nothing sticks. If I close Acobate and then double click on the same PDF it open and none of the preferences I selected are checked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Could you please Check the compatibility Mode settings for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

You can try to Turn off the compatibility mode settings and then try your workflow ?

Here is how you can check those settings

1)     Right click on Acrobat Reader DC icon from the desktop and select “Properties”

2)     Click on “Compatibility” tab and Turn off the Compatibility mode settings(by unSelecting the checkbox for Compatibility mode)

3)      Relaunch  Acrobat Reader DC and see if your Preferences are getting retained now.

You can also send me a snapshot of your compatibility Tab for Acrobat Reader DC at ajain@adobe.com

Let me know if that fixes your concerns ?

-Ayush

Acrobat Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome , thanks !!!! it really worked !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me. It is now March 2nd 2021 and I'm having the same issue, checked all the same (above). Checked for updates "No updates available" Installed: Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (21.002.20142). Running Windows 10 Education, Windows is updated (no updates available).

I go to Edit > Preferences > Page Display > Default Layout and Zoom. Zoom is set at "Fit Width". I also go to Edit > Preferences > Documents > Open Settings >  and set "Remember current state of Tools Pane" as Checked. I click "OK" to save the settings. Close the document, open it, and...

The Tools Pane is back open. The PDF is not fit to width. None of my settings are being used for any document I open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Adobe Acrobat Pro XI I had the same problem - it would forget the View/ShowHide/Toolbar Items.. selections as well as not saving a file to "Recent Files ".  Clearing the Compatibility checkmark fixed it.  Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While this did fix the annoying failure to remember to "close all files"  on close, it did nothing about the refusal to remember to hide the Tools pane.  I'm betting 99% of users will NEVER use those commercials tools but we are forced to view them as potential advertising.  Fortunately my company provides me with Bluebeam PDF Revu, so I have an alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After my earlier post I found that clearing the Compatibility checkmark wasn't a permanent fix to the "forgetting" problem. Instead if I find the Acrobat.exe executable 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

then right click Properties and the Security tab, and then give All Users full control the fix is permanent.  I also changed "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES", and "ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES" permissions to full control.  After that I disabled automatic updates from Adobe, since I don't want them breaking the program, and since they have EOL'd it anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, it is finally remembering to hide Tools and close all tabs after changing permissions as you suggest.  

You have relieved a continual source of frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2022 Aug 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the above suggestions work in August of 2022!  No rush Adobe... Maybe when droves of users exit your horrible subscription licensing you'll finally be motivated to clean up your mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem. Adobe Acrobat DC is up to date and I am running Windows 11.

Adobe won't save preference changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows 11 too, installed all software to new computer and found this annoying problem. I (hopefully) found a solution: go to Preferences - Accessibility - Uncheck two options in "Override Page Display": Always use Page Layout Style and Always Use Zoom Setting.

Now default view works correctly and also "Show Cover Page in Two Page View" works, which wasn't case before.

I'm not sure anymore, but I believe it was checked by default which is totally stupid, it conflicts with other Page Display preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me. Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines