• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader fails to start and then fails to (re)install after removal

Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Windows 7 Pro SP1 and Adobe Acrobat Reader failed to open with an error a file missing so

I followed on line advice from this site, removed, downloaded and installed it and that install failed as it claims a more recent version etc.

So downloaded and ran the cleaner and then downloaded and attempted install again – failed (more recent version) so

I read all I could find and it suggested that (a) Windows updates may be missing so I ran update and now Windows update also fails. (I cleared the old updates, tried one by oneetc 

So I ran a complete system clean and tried again both W7 update and Acrobat Reader failed again.

None of the MS advice worked even getting down to CMD level as the update error is unknown (and still there) so

I tried another PDF reader which being much simpler DL and installed and works fine so I tried to associate that with .PDF extension to find that the PDF is no longer in the Windows list to be associated!! Down under the hood again into the Registry

A fun few days over Xmas!

Does anyone have any idea short of a complete image recovery which takes me back to I know not where?

TOPICS
Download and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think anybody can help you with resolving the issue. It's propably a reason deep in the Windows registry that causing the installation problems. It might be already there for long time or since you followed some instructions you found online. However, if you don't have some reovery points set in your operating systems you can restore, you're propably lost. The best would be to start over with a clean installation of the entire Windows. Since Windows 7 support will expire in two weeks anyway, it is a good reason to switch to Windows 10 as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks Radzmar. I have been using 'the other app' with no problems BUT did upgrade from W7 to W10 in the end because MS issued W11!

However now - not from my choice but for other reasons I am back having to use Adobe Creative Cloud so we shall see 🙂

I the mean time I have bought a Mac - would I be better advised to use CC on that?

Continue taking the pills ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines