• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader: "An internal error occurred" popup after installing Windows 10 - Chrome also fails to launch

Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since installing Windows 10 this month when I try to launch Adobe Acrobat Reader the only response I get is a pop up, “An internal error occurred ”. I uninstalled then re-installed. Same problem. I tried the Adobe cleaner, acrobat_ittools_cleaner_p2_061713.exe, followed by re-installing the program. Same problem. I can not find any current solutions to this problem posted on the web. Can you help me? Thanks much,

PS Chrome no longer works either. Tried to uninstall Chrome but no luck. My PC says it is 'running'.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Hi bobl6606355,

It seems to be the issue with permissions.

Please unhide all files & folders on your system.

Navigate to [drive]\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\  & then provide all the permissions to the complete folder.

How to give permissions on a folder

- Right click -> Properties -> Security -> Advanced -> Owner -> Select the account

Let me know if it resolves the issue.

Regards,
Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bobl6606355,

I am not sure about Google Chrome, however for Acrobat Reader DC try this :-

Go to the registry and find this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown

Create a new REG_DWORD

Value Name :-

bProtectedMode

Value Data :-

Let me know if it works.

Regards,

Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 11, 2015 Sep 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aadesh,

Followed your instructions as shown in this snip. Still get the error popup. Do I need to delete the default file shown here?

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aadesh,

I have uncovered an important clue that may suggest the source of this problem. When I right-click the Acrobat Reader DC icon and select “Open as administrator”, the reader program launches. Does this clue suggest a solution that you can recommend to me?

Thanks much,

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bobl6606355,

It seems to be the issue with permissions.

Please unhide all files & folders on your system.

Navigate to [drive]\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\  & then provide all the permissions to the complete folder.

How to give permissions on a folder

- Right click -> Properties -> Security -> Advanced -> Owner -> Select the account

Let me know if it resolves the issue.

Regards,
Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx,

this item in register helps, but I must start AR thru "run as administrator"

I'm satisfied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can give you a script so that you don't have to modify the registry manually.  But I need to know your installed Reader DC version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 11, 2015 Sep 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pwillener. I am thankful for your offer to help me. I downloaded the most recent version from the Adobe website. Being as it will not launch, I do not know how to determine the version number. THANKS VERY MUCH INDEED. Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to get assistance on this issue since I've been having the same error message and I already tried every solution exposed here, except for the registry one, since I couldn't find the folder.

I would very much appreciate your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did encounter this error after the update to the version 22.
Bug : When using the comments options, or clicking on "file", the system show 8-10 pop-up of the error, stacked on eachother. Adobe crash and I have to reopen it.

I couldn't find any folder who have a difference in access right. Reinstalling Adobe did nothing at all.

Launching it with admin right make it works. 
Final solution : Delete and recreate the profile of the user. After that, everything works like a charm. 
I hope it will help someone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about the PC user profile or something associated with Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Works like a charm" would be amazing. What does it mean to Delete and recreate the profile of the user?
---

I get "An Internal Error Occurred" repeatedly whenever I try to open or even hover over a PDF. If I try to rename it, it will even make my explorer window briefly say, "Not Responding." It's absolutely infuriating because I'm used to being able to just jump in and out of PDFs like any other program.

This notification acts almost like virus pop-ups in its constant annoyingness where you have to close it and then do something and it pops up again and you close it.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Acrobat, and I've tried various fixes I've seen on this Adobe forum, including having full permissions for all my folders. I'm currently running version 22.0. (I can't remember with which version I started having issues but it started last year sometime.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've tried the solution proposed by AadeshSingh but it did not work for me.
Any help?

Thanks,

Giovanni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you manage to resolve the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also encountering the same issue "An internal error occurred", I tried reinstalling and the following instructions "AadeshSingh" without any luck I appreciate some guidance 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gustavo,

I've asked our IT service to help. I could see that he reinstalled the software several times but without any success to solve the issue. At the end he manged to really make like a new installation but I could not really understand what he cleaned out from my pc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this is a very strange issue, i could not find any solution so far

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

This is a known issue, which has already been highlighted to our product team.

The team is working on it, and a fixed version will be available in the near future. Till then, we appreciate your patience on this.

Meanwhile, you may once 

Run this cleaner tool to remove the existing installer and application’s files traces:

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html

Download the Acrobat Reader DC installer from here:

https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

Here's the link that has the correct Answer,

I found it at the Support Comunity link in the Creative Suit Main Page.

Here's the Link,

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/quot-an-internal-error-occured-quot-when-clicking...

Please Note:

This solution is not mine, but I followed all the steps and wella!! it worked. I've pasted th context of the posting below including the name

of the person whom was humble and shared the tip.

Thank you. so much for helping all of the rest of us.

markelrayes Community Beginner , Oct 19, 2022

I FOUND A SOLUTION.

I had to go C:\Users\[me]\AppData\Local and right click the Adobe folder, click properties and go to security tab. I had a bunch of left-over "Account Unknown" listed besides my three main ones (System, [me], Admin). I deleted all the account unknowns.

That fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

had same issue tried the delete unknown and dont have any errors so far looks good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mark,

I Don't know if you found the fix already, but just in case look at my post

under Adam1349

The solution it's not mine but from another member and he was kind

to share hi's knowledge with us.

so Pay it Forward.

Best of Luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2023 Aug 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been looking for a solution for the longest time now. THIS ONE WORKED FOR ME FINALLY! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this link.

It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked perfectly. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines