Highlighted

Acrobat Reader: "An internal error occurred" popup after installing Windows 10 - Chrome also fails to launch

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since installing Windows 10 this month when I try to launch Adobe Acrobat Reader the only response I get is a pop up, “An internal error occurred ”. I uninstalled then re-installed. Same problem. I tried the Adobe cleaner, acrobat_ittools_cleaner_p2_061713.exe, followed by re-installing the program. Same problem. I can not find any current solutions to this problem posted on the web. Can you help me? Thanks much,

PS Chrome no longer works either. Tried to uninstall Chrome but no luck. My PC says it is 'running'.

Hi bobl6606355,

It seems to be the issue with permissions.

Please unhide all files & folders on your system.

Navigate to [drive]\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\  & then provide all the permissions to the complete folder.

How to give permissions on a folder

- Right click -> Properties -> Security -> Advanced -> Owner -> Select the account

Let me know if it resolves the issue.

Regards,
Aadesh

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat Reader: "An internal error occurred" popup after installing Windows 10 - Chrome also fails to launch

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since installing Windows 10 this month when I try to launch Adobe Acrobat Reader the only response I get is a pop up, “An internal error occurred ”. I uninstalled then re-installed. Same problem. I tried the Adobe cleaner, acrobat_ittools_cleaner_p2_061713.exe, followed by re-installing the program. Same problem. I can not find any current solutions to this problem posted on the web. Can you help me? Thanks much,

PS Chrome no longer works either. Tried to uninstall Chrome but no luck. My PC says it is 'running'.

Hi bobl6606355,

Navigate to [drive]\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\  & then provide all the permissions to the complete folder.

- Right click -> Properties -> Security -> Advanced -> Owner -> Select the account

Regards,
Aadesh

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bobl6606355,

I am not sure about Google Chrome, however for Acrobat Reader DC try this :-

Go to the registry and find this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown

Create a new REG_DWORD

Value Name :-

bProtectedMode

Value Data :-

Let me know if it works.

Regards,

Aadesh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aadesh,

Followed your instructions as shown in this snip. Still get the error popup. Do I need to delete the default file shown here?

Thanks for your help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aadesh,

I have uncovered an important clue that may suggest the source of this problem. When I right-click the Acrobat Reader DC icon and select “Open as administrator”, the reader program launches. Does this clue suggest a solution that you can recommend to me?

Thanks much,

Bob

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bobl6606355,

Regards,
Aadesh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
tablo27 LATEST
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx,

this item in register helps, but I must start AR thru "run as administrator"

I'm satisfied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can give you a script so that you don't have to modify the registry manually.  But I need to know your installed Reader DC version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pwillener. I am thankful for your offer to help me. I downloaded the most recent version from the Adobe website. Being as it will not launch, I do not know how to determine the version number. THANKS VERY MUCH INDEED. Bob

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Trending Issue & Solution
Edit PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC