• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ACROBAT READER STOPS WORKING WHEN TRYING TO PRINT PDF

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have AR DC  #20.006.20042 when i try to Print a PDF file I get message AR jas stopped working and checking for solution. I( tried to paste the message but would not work---standard program has stopped working message.)    No Solution.

I recently upgraded PC to Windows 10 from Windows 7.  AR DC worked/printed fine in Windows 7.

When I first got this message I ran Windows 10 repair program on it.  NO Success

Since then I have ran compabilty to Windoes 7 and 8  No Success

I have ran check for updates and installed them.  No Success

I have rebooted bumerous times.  No Success

I have NOT Unisstalled and started over.

I also got this message it has stopped working when it tried to generate a list--I think this option was in the compatibilty option dialogue box.

I have read and tried the items/steps in other postings on this subject/issue but they are approx. 3 year old and thinking things have chaged since and/or I missed something.

Can some one please help me.

Thank You!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you downloaded this Adobe Reader DC from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is_rbls,

The original install of AR DC was done about 3 years ago. I do not remember from where. Updates have beem done automatically numerous times.  In the last couple weeks a few times through Windows 10 links and also through Adobe website and Adobe Properties dialogue.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this upgrade from MS Windows 7 to Windows 10 was done on top of the older version of Windows it is common to experience certain issues.

Windows 10 has changed quite a bit the directory structure of the operating system itself, meaning that it may not be able to find the printing device drivers in the same location(s) where they used to be installed in Windows 7 for example. This, however, is just an assumption from quickly reading your thread above. I may be wrong though.

But let's say that is the case, here are a few ideas:

• Download the most current printer driver, and firmware driver from the printing device manufaturer website. Manually upddate your printing software and drivers. Do not let MS Windows perform its own automatic update for your device and follow the recommended installation and configuration guidance form the printing device vendor.
  • Manually check for updates to your Windows 10. Depending on the  type of WIndows 10 version that you have upgraded to there are certain features that may not be present. One prime examle is the Home edition. To be certain that you have the latest windows 10 see here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  • In that link above you can upgrade to MS Windows 10 latest version and optional use the free media creation tool so you have a full bootable installation software of your version. 
  • For the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, there's no need to run in compatibility mode because you have the latest version. What is probably happening is that the old software was not properly removed nor completely removed from your machine. 
  • To completely remove old traces of your Acrobat software use the Adobe Acrobat Cleanup and Repair Tool, which you may download here: https://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html  This  will completely remove old entries and possibly repair corrupted directory entries leaving your system ready to accept a fresh installation of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
  • After the cleanup and repair process completes, download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC from the official link here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/ 
  • To perform or apply subsequent future updates of Acrobat Reader you'll have better control if you disable automatic updates and manually check for updates. If this is a practice that interests you , always click on "Help" --->>> "Check for updates", OR, go to the relase notes page and manually download and install updates yourself (that's how I keep my system up to date, I don't trust automatic unattended updates). See here:  https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ls_rbls

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately it did not work.  

1. I did the Uninstall from Adobe on the AR DC file. 
  2. Rebooted and checked to see if Adobe was listed as an APP--it was not.
  3. Downloaded new AR DC program. 
  4. PDF files open but I still get "Stopped Working" message when try to print.
  5. Also ran Adobe repair again.
  6. Also I noticed .pdf file extension is no longer shows in Windows Settings where you assign default program by file extensions.  Now goes from .PBF to .PDLITE 500 somehow .PDF disappeared when doing the Adobe Uninstall?
  7. Abode is listed in Apps.

Any other Ideas?

Other replies and info to your message:

• I am running Window 10  ver..1903.  I have not ran the 1909 update yet. (Waiting on some info from Microsoft.) The Upgrade was not a "clean install".
  • Before I found the AR DC printing/not working issue I did the total printer and drivers uninstall. Then full install of printer and drivers.
  • I changed to manual updates a couple years ago--good tip/reminder though!

Thanks Again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

In Windows settings--->Control Panel, what do you have set as the default printing device?

The default printer is always marked with a green checkmark icon (or similar).

Make sure that the default printer is not another program.

PDFLITE is not only an open source PDF viewer, but also acts as a PDF Printer application.

If you're not using it, uninstall it. You can do the uninstall from  Control Panel as well : "Programs and Features" --->>> "Uninstall or Change a Program".

Once you take care of that do the appropriate file association for Acrobat.

Right-click on any PDF document icon, select Properties from the context menu. 

In the "General" tab click the button "Change" and select your Acrobat program from the list of programs that will open up "How do you want to open .pdf files from now on?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ls_rbls 

The correct printer is set as default.

Maybe this was misunderstood or I am misunderstanding---In Settings/Default settings by extension it is .PDLite 500 not .PDFLite.There is no printer listed as PDFLite anywhere.  The area to the right of  + sign to assign program-nothing is listed.

Anyway this morning  .PDF miraculously appeared and AR is the program assigned to open .PDF.  I got screen capture from yesterday to prove it  .: )

I checked to Properties check on a .pdf and it is set to open with AR. Also did the General tab.--For clarity when I go to open a .pdf file it opens fine.  When I go to Print is when AR stops working.

Thanks--Any other thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok , I apologize for misunderstanding.

Can I have the printer brand and model?

I want to check something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 all-in-one 911a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction:  I forgot the e after 8600

HP OfficeJet Pro 8600e all-in-one 911a

Sorry!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I skimmed the web trying to find what the heck is a .PDLITE 500 file extension. That doesn't look right. I am not sure what is that .

I even had to use anonymos browsing to actually find something of relevant:

• PDL -Perl Data Language File. Used by developers mostly for modeling graphics and plotting
  • PD Lite InkJet Printer - an industrial inkjet printer used for printing logos in stuff such as cement bags. Highly expensive, produced in Canada and distributed  from Dubai, and serviced overseas.

Is interesting the things you end up bumping with in the Internet. I just couldn't find any file extension description as ".PDLIE 500"   I've never seen a file extension like that.

Here are a few more ideas that  I can suggest:

1. Reset the spooler service, or clear the currecnt queue of printing jobs.
  2. Do a hard reset on your printer following the recommended guidance from the vendor: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03026243.pdf  and here: https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/HP_OfficeJet_Pro_8600_Plus_Troubleshooting
  3. More here: http://resetprinters.com/how-to-reset-the-hp-officejet-pro-8600-premium-all-in-one-printer/
  4. Last let's see if you can spot that weird file in your computer. Open the command prompt. Right-click on the MS Windows logo key and select "Run". Type in "CMD" when prompted.
  5. At the prompt typr in  cd\ and hit ENTER.  You will try and perform a search of this file from command line.
  6. Copy this line the line of code in line 8.
  7. Paste the line of code below in your command prompt window

findstr /M "PDLITE" *.pdl | find /V /C " "​

6. You will perform a string search to see where this fie could be possibly hiding. It is possible that if the file doesn't exist anymore the shell script above will return a value of zero to indicate nothing with those parameters was found.  If nothing is found it will throuw a message like this: FINDSTR: Cannot open *.pdl         0

7. Last, do another deep search in the registry. Use the sames steps as bullet number 4 above to open the start menu. Then type in "regedit" (without the quotes). When the registry window opens, hit "CTRL+F" keys and paste this in the search box: .PDLite 500

8. If the search  finds a registry key with the string that you supplied, delete it  only if you're sure is safe to delete. This may become a lengthy process because you could find many entries. Just be patient if you have to go through this. This is how viruses are manually removedy from a MS Windows box ( and taken care off for good).

I hope that just resetting the printer will do, so you don't have to resort to steps 5 through 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ls_rbls

Thank You for all this but until I have eye surgery so I can see better I will have to wait on doing any of these steps you mentioned for both the Resets and the .PDLite 500 which I think is the weird file you are referring to.

Printer is working fine for every other program so I will have to make do for now.

RESETS:  I wish there was more explanation of what the partial and full resets actually do--such as does the printer have to be totally reset up, drivers reloaded etc.

.PDLite 500  The only place I find this is:

(You may already know this but I cannot attach a screen capture or snip)

Go to Settings

In box below Windows Settings type in ext, drop down selections select Choose default app for each type of file.  You will see large number of file extensions some have default apps assigned some do not.  The .PDLite 500 has nothing assigned to it on my PC. I never realized there are that many exts.  

Thank You for all your help and if you happen to find anything else in the mean time please let me know. I appreciate all your time and effort you put into this. 

A VERY BIG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

If I should find anything I will let you know also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines