Highlighted

Adobe Acrobat Reader Could not open xxx.pdf because it is either not a supported file type or

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting up my PC this morning, AAR won't open PDF files I've created today (using Microsoft Print to PDF). But it will open similar PDF files I created yesterday and earlier.

I have tried the "Do not start up in protected mode fix" without sucecss.

This problem happens so, it seems automatic updates of Adobe Reader or WIN10. I then load another PDF program and switch back to using "Microsoft Print to PDF" a few weeks  later.

It's a moinor irritation. But any ideas on a more permanent fix would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Acrobat Reader Could not open xxx.pdf because it is either not a supported file type or

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting up my PC this morning, AAR won't open PDF files I've created today (using Microsoft Print to PDF). But it will open similar PDF files I created yesterday and earlier.

I have tried the "Do not start up in protected mode fix" without sucecss.

This problem happens so, it seems automatic updates of Adobe Reader or WIN10. I then load another PDF program and switch back to using "Microsoft Print to PDF" a few weeks  later.

It's a moinor irritation. But any ideas on a more permanent fix would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Using other PDF programs, it seems the problem is that "Microsoft print to PDF" is not wrting new PDF files properly but it is reading them OK. A WIN10 update is, in my opinion, the most likely suspect.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a step which MIGHT give clues to the problem. Please start Notepad and open one of these bad PDF files. (Use File > Open; Files of type; All files). Please copy and paste the FIRST FIVE LINES you see into a reply. Doesn't matter if the lines seem nonsense.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test_screen_name - thank you for your prompt response. When I open Notepad then try to open one of the problem PDF files, teh Notepad screen is blank. There are no lines, nothing shows. But as I can see from Windows File Explorer file manager that the PDF file size is zero, this ties up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I loaded the program CutePDF. It "Prints to PDF" then Adobe Reader opens it seamlessly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Trending Issue & Solution
Edit PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC