• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC just wont open

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC just doesn't open. I've tired uninstalling and installing it again (during which it told me I had to close any running Acrobat applications, so they must have been completely invisible to me in the background), so I restarted my computer, uninstalled, reinstalled, still the same problem.

I'm on Windows 10 by the way.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SamElliott,

As you get the error message " to close the application" please try to run the cleaner tool http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html to uninstall the application from your system.

Then restart your system and install the application from here:  Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

Check if this helps.

If you still experience the issue, let us know if you get any error message when you try to open the application.

If yes, please share the exact message you get.

We will be waiting for your response.

Let us know if you need any help.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the same issue.  Only, after uninstalling and installing this program, I get the following error msg:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader Acro Rd 32.exe         Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I've been having issues with this program for some time now and then in the past few days I keep getting this error message.  Once in about 20 tries to open it or a file, it will work.  Is there anyway to go back to the old program that worked reliably?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

Is there a fix for this please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here too. The only fix i found is, go to shortcut properties, then shortcut tab, Then Advanced, then check run as administrator. At least this way i was able to open the program then open files inside of program. If you want to open from File Explorer, then you have to download a new PDF reader from the Microsoft store and use that. Just mark it as the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lee

I had set Adobe to run like that, but didn't think of using another app.

Have done that now and uninstalled Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how I fixed it was..

1. kill acrobat reader processes from task manager

2. start acrobat reader from start menu

3. go to edit -> preferences -> security (enhanced)

4. uncheck Enable protected mode at startup

Now when I double click a pdf it will actually open..

I DONT know who's in charge of Acrobat Reader Development now but that person should be FIRED INSTANTLY.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I can provide additional information.  I am also having an issue with Acrobat Reader DC on my Windows 10 system not opening (yes, both Acrobat Reader DC and Windows 10 are up to date), and when I tried to uninstall, I got a popup window that said it was trying to access a file so I needed to close Acrobat Reader DC.  It wasn't visibly open, but I went to check Task Manager and it showed TWO instances running.  I went to close one and it closed both.  I was then able to uninstall.  However, after completely uninstalling, rebooting the PC then installing again, I got the exact same thing happen.  Nothing happens when I click on the Acrobat Reader DC icon in my taskbar, nothing happens when I click on a PDF file, and nothing happens when I click on Acrobat Reader DC in the start menu either.  HOWEVER, it DOES open when I go to the actual program .exe file where it is installed within the Program Files (x86) directory.  But I'm not going to go through all those directories every time I want to open a PDF file.  This has to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sam.i - Thank you for your reply.  Yesterday I uninstalled and installed again for the 4th time.  I have also downloaded a foxit or something like that.  I don't like it, but at least I can open my files.  Haven't tried to download anything yet, but I'm sure I'm going to get that same error message as above in my previous post.  I'm going to try your suggestion, but, like you, if it works it's going to be a big hassle.  Yes, Adobe needs to fix this problem, but there is no way to contact them to let them know of this problem.  Another pet peeve I will not go into right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've got almost exact the same problem. After some kind of crash in OneNote (2016) this morning I couldn't open it any more. It took over 3 hours for a very nice Microsoft assistent to reinstall it. Now I've got OneNote back in the way before except:

I've got lots of files addes in my OneNote and I can't open them anymore with Acrobat reader, neither can I open files through Windows explorer with Acrobat reader.

I can open the files with Edge, but I made notes IN my PDF's which I can SEE but not OPEN with Edge.

I installed and removed and re-installed Acrobat several times. Nothing happens when I click on it. The programm is there in my apps but when I click on it nothing happens. What can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines