• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC won't open

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few weeks ago, I installed the latest Adobe Reader.  In doing so, the new Adobe Acrobat Reader DC became my default PDF viewer and worked for about a week.  For that week, I was able to view any PDFs in my files and loved using the system.  Then a few days ago, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC stopped working.  Now it won't open any PDFs new and old.  I have closed the app and reopened it.  I've restarted my computer.  The majority of my documents are PDFs so I rely on this app and am very frustrated that it stopped working.  I've clicked the help menu to see if I need an update, but it says everything is up to date.  Any advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

I have a very simple solution that worked.  My laptop is running Windows 10.  I right clicked on the Adobe shortcut Icon on my desktop then slected "Troubleshoot compatability" and the windows compatability checker scanned the program and reset the compatability mode to Windows 8.  It will make you test it before you can close the checker but my pdfs are now opening and Adobe Reader is now functioning as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jackieb72774193,

Please use this thread fro resetting the preferences for Acrobat :  https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1595848

If issue still persist please uninstall & reinstall the Acrobat Program.

If iit doesn't work,then create a new user account with the Admin rights, login to the new user account & check the behavior of the application (uninstall & reinstall if needed here as well) .

Regards,

Yatharth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe staff, none of this worked.  Do NOT assume this problem is fixed, it is not.  Installation of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (up to date version) on Windows 10 worked for about a week, then stopped.  I wish Adobe would stop rolling out software before it is ready.  Now I have to find a previous version or use something else entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

What OS do you work on?

Also let us know if you are able to launch Reader?

How do you open PDF' ,withing Reader or simply by double clicking on the PDF?

If on windows,try to repair Reader if possible.

If that fails ,try to uninstall Reader and reinstall it referring the following link.

https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

For Windows you could download the Cleaner tool to uninstall Reader.

Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Regards

Sukrit Dhingra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running OS Yosemite.  When I open a PDF, I usually just double click on the PDF and it will open.  It wasn't until I updated to Adobe Acrobat Reader DC that I started having problems.  It worked for the few days and I really liked how it opened multiple PDFs in one window, but then it just stopped working.  I guess I will try uninstalling and reinstalling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Please try doing that and see if that fixes or persists .

Regards

Sukrit Dhingra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and it will only show my documents when I am in full screen mode.  Is there a different way to view the documents other than full screen mode?  I usually have to bounce between PDFs and can't always go into full screen mode to see each one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

You have Read mode and Full screen mode.

Please specify the dot version of OS.

I hope you are updated to the latest patch of the Reader,if not please try doing it.

Regards

Sukrit Dhingra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Yosemite 10.10.5.  I think I have the latest patch of the Reader.  Here is the link I used to reinstall it.  PDF reader, PDF viewer | Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI ,

Please refer the following link to reinstall Reader.

https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Regards

Sukrit Dhingra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I wasn't able to get Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to work, but I was able to get Adobe Reader IX to work.  It will work for now.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue. Worked for a week and just stopped working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought a new macbook pro and I'm having the exact same issue. Everything was working great til yesterday and then all of a sudden acrobat stopped working. I've read all the help forum documents and done everything recommended other than a reinstall. I have a creative cloud account and old versions of acrobat will open my pdfs but not the latest DC version. I just get a flicker on my screen when I double click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same problem. It's infuriating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the exact same problem: Adobe DC simply won't open. I waited for a few months and then downloaded the latest version of Adobe DC, but it still does not work. I have tried both repairing and reinstalling, but nothing works.

I've been using browsers or Word to open PDF files, since Adobe won't do. Guess I'll have to try using an older version of Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try restoring Adobe Acrobats Preference file:

Located here - C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\[YOUR VERSION] (What ever version you have the Preference folder should be located in it).

Move the Preference folder to somewhere like C:\Temp

Now open Acrobat it will create a new Preference folder or it should if it doesn't work e.g  If the Preference folder isn't in your version folder look in the other folders where the version folder is to see if the preference folder is in one of the other folders just in case, if it is copy it to the correct location. Paste it into your DC folder, now try Acrobat again. (Of course when I say paste it into your DC folder in this case the user is working with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You get to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\[YOUR VERSION] by going through Windows Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no preferences folder there. Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to be such a lay person, but when you say [YOUR VERSION], do you mean of Adobe or the OS?  I typed in  the following and nothing happened:  C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\dc

I'm on a Mac running High Sierra 10.13.3. Thanks for any help! Having the EXACT same problem and it is NOT resolved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tanya.roust,

As you are not able to open the application and trying the recreate the preferences of the application, take help of the steps mention here How to reset Acrobat Preference settings to default.

If that does not work, run the cleaner tool Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs on your Mac.

Reboot the Mac and then re-install the application from the links provided below:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC: Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

Adobe Acrobat: Download Pro or Standard versions of Acrobat DC, 2017, XI, or X

Check if that works for you.

Let us know if the issue still persists.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, tried all the steps you mentioned and it didn't work. I wager this won't work for tanya.roust​ either.

By the way, I'm still waiting for further help from Adobe for almost 3 weeks since I informed these steps didn't make the slightest difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, I have been using Adobe for years, everything has been fine, downloaded DX,nothing will open. downloaded a patch,. still nothing. Is there another reader??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No PDF reader can fully replace Adobe. Of course, you can open PDFs with any browser and Word has a nice "decoding" feature which more or less converts PDFs to docx files. But browsers have only a very basic search tool, and the PDF to docx conversion can often get messy.

However, since my Adobe Reader does not work and Adobe seems barely able to even realize this problem exists, it seems poor substitutes are our only options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, considering getting another reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Could you please provide us more information on this so we can find the root cause of the issue.

- What exactly happens when you try to open PDFs?

- Do you get any error message?

- Are you experiencing this issue on Windows Or Mac?

- What is the OS version installed on the machine?

- Did you make any changes to the system after which you have started experiencing this issue?

- Please share the version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC you are using.

- Can you open Reader application directly without any issue?

Please share the information as asked above.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines